Who turns in burnt ends and sliced brisket?

smokeyw

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I have heard some people say they won't turn in burnt ends in a competition. I am curious why? Everyone seems to love burnt ends and I think they add to the appearance of a turn in box.

I am thinking if they are good burnt ends, they will help your entry. But I don't know that for sure. I would love to hear others opinions on this.

You have to make sure every burnt end is the quality you are after.
Like my most esteemed buddy Rookie 48 always says " Damn, that would have been a 9 instead of a 7 if I hadn't just got a mouthfull of nasty fat".
Ed

Burnt ends and slices give the judges a choice. Anytime there is a choice one is prefered over the other hence one can draw down the score. That's one popular opinion. Not sure I agree but that's the thinking.

I can't make burnt ends to save my life. I use to turn in sliced and pulled done well but now I just turn in slices

i can't cook the flat to save my life. "burnt ends" always delicious.

i have turned in both every time out, and you can see how each judge approaches scoring.

Burnt ends in a box? That's like soooo last year. Cubed flat is where it's at? LOL

Seriously if the ends taste good I out them in. If they suck, I don't. But I suck at brisket so?

If its in the box its gonna get scored. If you put them in make sure there as good or better than your sliced. Burnt ends can add to apperance score but I've given plenty of 8 and 9s to sliced only. Its about a 50/50 split boxes with burnt ends and without

Seriously if the ends taste good I put them in. If they suck, I don't.
There's your answer. I just won brisket for the first time I had them both in the box. The faux burnt ends (cubed point) rocked.

But I suck at brisket so?
No, you just haven't landed on a table that knows brisket.

Yep, if it's in the box then it's gonna get judged "as presented by the cook"! And yes, there was one instance when I did bite into a beautiful, wonderfull looking, mouth watering piece that turned out to be 100% FAT!!!

But on the other hand, I've heard judges complain about not getting any burnt ends :mad:. I guess that they were wanting to judge something that wasn't in the box!

I'm going on the rule of "If it ain't 100% then leave it out!"

We stopped trying to turn in burnt ends at the end of last year. My personal experience is that I do a lot better without trying to perfect two different cuts of meat. Although, I cook a mean burnt end, I have found that they can hurt me a lot more than they help if I don't catch all the fat from the pieces. This year, I am not aware of a judge substantially dinging us for not turning in burnt ends. We have competed in 9 comps so far this year, and in brisket we have two 1sts, two 2nds, and a 3rd. All of those came without burnt ends in the box. So, if you can cook your flat perfectly, you shouldn't worry about the burnt ends. :thumb:

like it's been mentioned, if they're good the scores will reflect it. I always turn in burnt ends and even when I don't think my brisket is strong I seem to do well anyway. if they're good, why not include them?

Back