MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:52 PM   #1
darita
is One Chatty Farker

Default Looking For A Good Rub

I need a good general purpose rub for pork, beef and chicken. I know lots of you mix your own, but I don't want to have to buy all the ingredients. I need something that's good, but not expensive. Suggestions, please.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:11 PM   #2
Harbormaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Clark

Pretty tough to give you just one rub, but I would say anything from Plowboys or Simply Marvelous would fit your description. Spicewine makes some good rubs too. Oh, and Big Butz just came out with a line of rubs.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-29-2011, 11:00 PM   #3
mikeTRON
Full Fledged Farker

What do you mean not too expensive?
mikeTRON is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2011, 11:59 PM   #4
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

PM 5-0 BBQ, I tried some of his sauce and rub at a comp this weekend. Awesome stuff.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:54 AM   #5
tamadrummer
is one Smokin' Farker

Go to www.oakridgebbq.com and order the 1 cent sample pack. The total cost is 3.75 and it will be at your door in 2 days max. There are a total of 5 flavors in the package. I ordered a set of 3 and they have me hooked like a junkie on smack, that is how good Mike's products are!!
tamadrummer is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-30-2011, 06:24 AM   #6
markdtn
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrummer View Post
Go to www.oakridgebbq.com and order the 1 cent sample pack. The total cost is 3.75 and it will be at your door in 2 days max. There are a total of 5 flavors in the package. I ordered a set of 3 and they have me hooked like a junkie on smack, that is how good Mike's products are!!
I'll second that.
markdtn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2011, 04:17 PM   #7
darita
is One Chatty Farker

Can anyone give me a basic BBQ rub recipe for me to start out with, if I mix my own? I like sweet rubs. I also like salt and pepper, but not to where it takes over and easy on the heat. Maybe if I start with a basic rub, I can add from that point.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:38 PM   #8
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbormaster View Post
Pretty tough to give you just one rub, but I would say anything from Plowboys or Simply Marvelous would fit your description. Spicewine makes some good rubs too. Oh, and Big Butz just came out with a line of rubs.
I would second all of that. If I were forced to choose just one it would be Plowboys Yardbird. SM Season All is pretty all purpose as well.

Go here and pick something...anything you won't be disappointed not to mention you are buying from a Brethren.
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2011, 06:32 AM   #9
Big Sexy
On the road to being a farker

I just tapped into my Oakridge sample pack this past weekend.
I did some wings w/ their chicken rub.

My wife said this was her new fav.
Big Sexy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2011, 06:48 AM   #10
humdogj
Knows what a fatty is.

I use Simply Marvelous Sweet Seduction and I really enjoy that. I just ordered the sampler pack from www.oakridgebbq.com yesterday. I hope to have it at my door by the weekend.

Does anyone know if the Santa Maria seasoning that comes in the sampler pack be enough to cover 1 Tri-tip?

Old 08-31-2011, 07:02 AM   #11
tamadrummer
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdogj View Post
I use Simply Marvelous Sweet Seduction and I really enjoy that. I just ordered the sampler pack from www.oakridgebbq.com yesterday. I hope to have it at my door by the weekend.

Does anyone know if the Santa Maria seasoning that comes in the sampler pack be enough to cover 1 Tri-tip?
IMHO you can do 2 or more with the sample pack. You are gonna love it!
tamadrummer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2011, 07:05 AM   #12
kcmike
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdogj View Post

Thanks for ordering a sample pack! We appreciate the business.

There is approximately one-quarter cup of spices in each sample, which should be just about right for one or two tri-tips.

~ Visit Oakridge BBQ ~

Ole Hickory CTO
26½" Weber Kettle
kcmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2011, 07:13 AM   #13
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Quote:
Originally Posted by darita View Post
Can anyone give me a basic BBQ rub recipe for me to start out with, if I mix my own? I like sweet rubs. I also like salt and pepper, but not to where it takes over and easy on the heat. Maybe if I start with a basic rub, I can add from that point.
I use this at home and at competitions. I/we dont put sugars in the rub because I cook at 250-260 degrees and frankly dont want the bark too dark. I add sugars later, in sauce. However, just add brown sugar to the following:

Black Pepper
Paprika (I use both Hungarian and Spanish)
Chili Powder
White Pepper
Ground Chipotle
Ground Ancho
Cayenne
Cajun Seasoning (this is where the salt and garlic, onion, etc. flavors come in)

Then, add brown sugar. In your case, you're going to want to go very light or omit cayenne altogether. Chipotle and Ancho could be found in your Chili Powder, so go heavier on this and you could omit these two. So, you could cheat down to:

Black Pepper
Chili Powder
Paprika
White Pepper
Cajun Seasoning
Brown Sugar

and let 'er fly.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2011, 07:14 AM   #14
jmellor
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by darita View Post
I like Mike Mills Magic Dust rub recipe. You can google it. You can cut back in the heat to your liking. I have also tried Steves 5-0 rub and Simply Marvelous Cherry and Spicy Apple. Like them all! Depends what flavor profile you are going for...

Remember RGB....always sending it
jmellor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2011, 07:46 AM   #15
bover
is one Smokin' Farker

You say you like sweet rubs as well as salt and pepper, and are not looking to spend too much money. The most logical solution here then would be to just use brown sugar, salt and pepper. Let the smoke and meat shine through, then adjust to your and your family's palettes after that.