MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:49 PM   #1
Porky Joes
Full Fledged Farker

Default Starting a Sauce Company

I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips for starting my own company. Eventually I would like to branch out from sauces and do rubs or more. I am thinking the best was is to find a co-packer. Does anyone have any advice for start up costs, business plans, copyright, legal fees, and more.

Thanks
Porky Joes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
MilitantSquatter

This is a good place to start if you have broader intentions of trying to just sell small batches.

US Small Business Association

http://www.sba.gov/category/navigati...rting-business
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2011, 08:47 PM   #3
Dex
is one Smokin' Farker

Step #1 - Mail out free samples to any Brethren members requesting one to get feedback on how your sauce tastes
Dex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2011, 09:48 PM   #4
Moose
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Richard

I agree with the above. PM me if you want to discuss marketing - I've launched numerous consumer products and might be able to help.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2011, 08:35 PM   #5
cere19
Found some matches.

I don't remember which BBQ show I was watching on tv but they showed production of BBQ sauce. They showed a facility that would take a persons recipe and increase it to make a larger batch and bottle it for the customer. This was so the customer did not have to make a bunch of little batches or else invest in the equipment needed to make a larger batch. Don't know if that helps you at all
cere19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2011, 09:12 PM   #6
h00kemh0rns
On the road to being a farker

http://www.fiery-foods.com/howto/67-...r-own-products

Good article...would look at following some of these steps along with finding a co-packer for mass production once demand is there.
h00kemh0rns is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-26-2011, 09:27 PM   #7
Capozzoli
is one Smokin' Farker

I would say the first thing to do is research your market. Find out how much it is and who the players are.

Then figure out how much of that market you can realistically obtain. Make a biz plan and get help with financial projections.

Find a way to compete in a saturated, price sensitive market. (there is always a way)

Give you product or at least your advertising an edge. "Organic" micro batch BBQ sauce. As for advertising, one word...Boobs.

Have you figured out what equipment and stuff you will need? Im curious.

[url]http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/[/url]
[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR]
Capozzoli is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2011, 09:37 PM   #8
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Tim

My advice would be, if your product is ever included in a meaningless online poll.....don't try to buy votes

Seriously though, good luck in your endeavor.
SM BGE
Weber 26" & JJ
Blackstone 36" & 22"
Brick Santa Maria Pit
Groundhog66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2011, 09:47 AM   #9
Porky Joes
Full Fledged Farker

I have been recommended the same co-packer by a few different people. I also have been trying to work on my business plan but with my children it has been going very slow. Does anyone know of websites, that would provide demographics? One thing I would like to do is start small at flea markets.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:05 AM   #10
Porky Joes
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by h00kemh0rns View Post
http://www.fiery-foods.com/howto/67-...r-own-products

Good article...would look at following some of these steps along with finding a co-packer for mass production once demand is there.

This is a great article, I would also recommend the book "From Kitchen to Market"