MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:20 PM   #1
darita
is One Chatty Farker

Default Roast...Sear First Or Smoke First?

I've been reading up on cooking a rib eye roast and I'm wondering whether to sear first, then cook or cook first, then sear? I thought the meat might absorb more smoke when raw, rather than seared. What are your thoughts on this?

Old 12-09-2010, 01:05 PM   #2
jagardn
Full Fledged Farker

I like doing a reverse sear aka the "Finney" method. Cook at 250 until the internal is about 130-135, then sear it. Slow roasting gives a consistent degree of doneness throughout. That's the way I do em, I'm sure you'll get quite a few different answers on this one.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-09-2010, 01:10 PM   #3
aquablue22
Babbling Farker

I too like to smoke them first and then finish with a high heat sear, seems to me that they are tastier. My neighbor does them sear first and I can tell a difference, he seems to always be running that fine line of over done.
2 - 18.5 Weber Kettle
1 - WSM Mini

I live in fear that my Wife will sell all my "TOYS" when I die for WHAT I told her I paid for them!!
aquablue22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2010, 01:48 PM   #4
The Grill Sergeant
Full Fledged Farker

By all means reverse sear. Did my first one last weekend on standing rib roast and indeed, it was a pleasant medium rare throughout the entire cut.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:53 PM   #5
Big_T_BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

If you sear first you have to let it sit for 10ish minutes to cool back down then cook it. If you sear then cook you basically get a bulls eye look and taste to the meat, the outside ring is way overcooked, the you have an overcooked ring, then just right in the center.

I roast slowly (215-235) then let rest, then sear, then let rest again.
Big_T_BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2010, 01:56 PM   #6
ColretBBQer
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue22 View Post
I too like to smoke them first and then finish with a high heat sear, seems to me that they are tastier. My neighbor does them sear first and I can tell a difference, he seems to always be running that fine line of over done.

Agree...this is the way I do it and it comes out great everytime. Just be careful with the amount of smoke.

TonyC
KCBS Certified Master Judge
[URL="http://blog.backyard-smoker-barbeque-chef.com/"]Backyard Smoker Blog[/URL]
[URL="http://www.backyard-smoker-barbeque-chef.com/"][U]Backyard-Smoker-Barbeque-Chef.com[/U]
[/URL]
ColretBBQer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2010, 02:17 PM   #7
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

Agreed, reverse sear.
Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Smokestack Lightning, Bad Ass Barbecue. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2010, 03:17 PM   #8
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Just to add another option, I don't sear at all

I cook the roast at 275 until it hits 125 or so internal and then rest before cutting.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2010, 03:28 PM   #9
mbshop
Babbling Farker

i'm a reverse sear fan. but as mentioned, i'm not sure a roast would need a sear. but then i would probably rotiss the thing.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:55 PM   #10
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

No sear, rotiss here too. Mmmm, gotta go get one and do it now!
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2010, 08:33 PM   #11
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Just wanted to post this pic to compare with Ron's. This was a reverse sear done at 225* (for about 4 hours), bone side down, done to an internal temp of 124* (virtually the same temp as Ron's). I then let it rest, tented under foil for 20 minutes while I brought the temp up to about 600* and seared it for just a couple minutes per side.

First I wanted to mention that there was an article posted last year that I didn't bookmark that discussed the reverse searing technique and I believe their analysis involved weighing roasts during the cook as a measure of juices retained. According to that article (as I remember it) searing beforehand or not searing at all resulted in more loss of juice than searing afterward. In any case, I don't think it is too critical one way or the other. In my opinion it is much more critical to let your roast rest sufficiently before cutting into it! Perhaps someone remembers this article and can repost it, as there will be lots of questions about cooking prime rib in the next couple weeks.

What I wanted to point out was the differences between the two cooks. The quick, hot sear resulted in a crust on mine, but when cut, note that the doneness does not penetrate. That is a result of the other difference, the temperature. Ron cooked his roast at 275*. Note the coloration in his. The brown on the edges extends farther inward. At 225*, the pinkness is more uniform out to the edge. I am not saying one is better than the other. I actually like very much the outer edge being cooked more than the inside. The techniques do give different results though and what you decide should depend on your personal preference.

Essentially:
1. Searing at high heat and quickly affects primarily the crust.
2. Lower heat makes a more uniformly cooked roast.

I hope this helps clarify a few things.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-09-2010, 08:50 PM   #12
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Now, for tri-tips I am a big fan of the reverse sear method, and I think it is an excellent way to get a chunk of meat done. But, I have done rib roasts for years with the idea of putting the roast into the oven or kettle running along at 450F or so, then letting it go for 30 minutes, then turning down the heat or closing the bottom vents to cruise down to 275F and finishing at this temperature. And I have not been disappointed in my roast for almost 30 years done this way.

That being said, I have also done roasts and eaten roasts done in all sorts of manner, and a lot comes down to how long and how done. I learned from restaurant chefs and cooks that roasting at 600F (yeah that helps me a lot) temperatures for a short time gives you a juicier roast, and have seen some very nice roasts done this way. Then there is salt crusting a roast, which is cooked very slowly, down in the 225F range, and it produces an amazing roast as well. I think the key is to not take it over 125F in the dead middle of the roast and let it rest for at least 30 to 45 minutes.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2010, 10:20 AM   #13
Big_T_BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
I believe their analysis involved weighing roasts during the cook as a measure of juices retained. According to that article (as I remember it) searing beforehand or not searing at all resulted in more loss of juice than searing afterward. In any case, I don't think it is too critical one way or the other. In my opinion it is much more critical to let your roast rest sufficiently before cutting into it! Perhaps someone remembers this article and can repost it, as there will be lots of questions about cooking prime rib in the next couple weeks.
I recently saw a good eats re-run when Alton did a rib roast (in the oven)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

And he said in the episode that searing it initially damages the proteins rapidly causing them to release water - making the roast less juicy.

I'm with Gore and the lower temp and getting an even cook throughout, this was a New York Roast I did for about 3 hours at 215

Perfect all the way through
Big_T_BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2010, 12:00 PM   #14
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
Just wanted to post this pic to compare with Ron's.
Great comparison! I'm not sure that I would have even noticed the more cooked area at the edges on mine with out your pics to compare to!

The roast in my pic was a BGE cook and what I have been doing more of recently. However, when the comp season is done and my FEC-100 is out of the trailer, i really prefer the FEC-100 for prime rib. Stuart, the president of Cookshack, posted his prime rib method (and an updated version) a while ago and I use it with fantastic results. I like his original method better. Basically, he cooks the roast at 250 degrees until your desired internal temp and then drops the FEC-100 temp to 140 degrees and holds the Prime Rib in the cooker for at least four hours. The hold time allows the juices and flavor to circulate throughout the roast. It really produces great results. You could do a reverse sear after the hold time but I haven't tried this.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2010, 12:42 PM   #15
Hub
Full Fledged Farker

One more vote for no sear on a good roast. I cook at 250 until the IT is about 130 shooting for mostly medium results. Montreal Steak or any other good beef rub with a high pepper and garlic content will crust up a bit on the outside. Delicious!!!
NOS American Made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
Author of [I][FONT=Times New Roman]Burn It In The Back Yard[/FONT][/I]
Grillin' and Smokin' like crazy for over 40 years :whoo:
[COLOR=red][I]There's No Smoke Alarm In My Outdoor Kitchen![/I][/COLOR]
Hub is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.