• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

tamales

landarc

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Tonight's dinner was something of an homage to my childhood. Up until I was 12, we lived in a very ethnically varied neighborhood that included a large population of Mexican and Tex-Mex folks who brought their own cultural backgrounds to our town. Amongst these traditions was the idea of home made Christmas tamales. One of the things I remember growing up where the tamale girls with their Red Hots. Red Hots were small spicy pork or chicken tamales, sold from the insulated carts, that the women walked around town with, a little bell ringing as the cart went along. I wanted to make tamales that were reminiscent of these little snacks. I am thinking these would be a good Christmas Day appetizer/snack dish.

Smoked Chicken
PC180605.jpg

Before the kettle
PC180602.jpg

And then on the plate
PC180606.jpg

Now, since the idea was to make Red Hots, I made sure it was small enough that a single husk would cover the tamale for cooking. These were put in a steamer for 2 hours until the dough was set. Here they are with some chips for scale, and snacking as well.

Looks great, Bob.

Do you use pre mix Maseca or knead your own?

BTW: Why did Mrs tx make tamales on X mas? That way, the kids have something to unwrap.:lol:

Love the tamales!

(Sent from my new iPhone from Maui while sipping a drink and listening to a band. Gotta love technology.)

Dang, I gotta find a reason to get down to the Bay Area again so I can get me some of those. Great looking tamales Bob!

Thanks ZP and Saiko...oh and...

curse you Saiko, you and your fancy phone, drink in a coconut shell with a little umbrella and beach attire at night. :p

Looks great, Bob.

Do you use pre mix Maseca or knead your own?

BTW: Why did Mrs tx make tamales on X mas? That way, the kids have something to unwrap.:lol:

LMAO!! We also don't like to grill cause the beans fall through the grate!!:lol:

Bob (Tocayo),

Those looks fantastic. The masa really set up nicely. Tell us a bit more about the sauce and the side dish on the right. Looks good! I'd hit them tamales.

awesome. finishing up my smoked pork tamales tomorrowe & some chiquita chix tamales x-mas eve (gotta keep tradition)...

Love the tamales!

(Sent from my new iPhone from Maui while sipping a drink and listening to a band. Gotta love technology.)

Take the drive up to Haleakela(sp) and the wineries. Damn, I love Maui. And hit the gorcery store...........chicken, beef and pork are like $100 a lb............but the seafood, the glorious seafood......they practically give it away. We grilled and ate like kings every night. That hotel grill got hit hard when we were there. Bubba Gump Shrimp Co! Cool place.

Take the drive up to Haleakela(sp) and the wineries. Damn, I love Maui. And hit the gorcery store...........chicken, beef and pork are like $100 a lb............but the seafood, the glorious seafood......they practically give it away. We grilled and ate like kings every night. That hotel grill got hit hard when we were there. Bubba Gump Shrimp Co! Cool place.
did he mention that there's surf too???:shock:

LMAO!! We also don't like to grill cause the beans fall through the grate!!:lol:

Bob (Tocayo),

Those looks fantastic. The masa really set up nicely. Tell us a bit more about the sauce and the side dish on the right. Looks good! I'd hit them tamales.
Bob, those are called tortilla chips. I do buy them premade, as it is a lot easier and I do not want to fry them myself.:twisted:

The enchilada sauce (it is really a cooked salsa) is real simple, tomatillos, green chiles, onion, garlic all whirled up, strained and heated just to boil. It is more piqaunte than hot, sour than sweet. The sauce is used in the tamale mix, on the plate and in the guac, which is just aguacate, onion minced, salsa verde and lime or lemon juice.

Bob, those are called tortilla chips. I do buy them premade, as it is a lot easier and I do not want to fry them myself.:twisted:

The enchilada sauce (it is really a cooked salsa) is real simple, tomatillos, green chiles, onion, garlic all whirled up, strained and heated just to boil. It is more piqaunte than hot, sour than sweet. The sauce is used in the tamale mix, on the plate and in the guac, which is just aguacate, onion minced, salsa verde and lime or lemon juice.

WOW! Never seen tortilla chips. I gotta try those.........:shock: That was a good one. LMAO. The sauce sounds like it would go really good with the tamales. I never thought about guac. Never had it alongside tamales. That will get tried this time we makes tamales. Looking really good!!

Those tamales look great!! Where can I get some of those premade "tortilla chips", they look pretty good too....LOL!!

Back