MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:32 PM   #1
sloandsteady
Full Fledged Farker

Default Fair Value of used Yoder YS640

Hey brethren! I've spotted a used Yoder YS640 locally that I would love to buy and wanted to know what is a fair value for one. Thanks much!
sloandsteady is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2014, 04:50 PM   #2
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

new you're looking at 1300 plus shipping. So figure it costs around 1600 to get it to your door, at least? whats the condition and age? heavily used, or a garage queen? it's used, when I bargain, I start at around half of whatever they're asking for it. For you, a good starting point, would be the 6-700 range

Old 04-10-2014, 10:17 PM   #3
sloandsteady
Full Fledged Farker

Here are some pictures that were provided to me. The fella selling it bought it used a year ago and has kept it on the porch, but no knowing how the owner before him stored it. I'm sure its at least 3-4 years old. Also would there be any way to restore the paint job for those areas around the cooking chamber?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00A0A_4zLVlvt7sGc_600x450.jpg (29.5 KB, 352 views)
File Type: jpg 20131116_073954.jpg (44.9 KB, 350 views)
File Type: jpg 20140410_085634.jpg (59.0 KB, 348 views)

Old 04-11-2014, 08:04 AM   #4
JT's Smokehouse
On the road to being a farker

If he's the second owner than its probably safe to assume he didn't pay full price for it anyway. Offer that guy 500 cash today and see what he says. I don't know a whole lot about pellet poopers but I'm sure it would turn out some decent food. From what I hear its nothing like a stick burner but for those who want to set and forget its a decent alternative. Good luck and I say not a penny more than $500.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:10 AM   #5
Harry Barker
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

i just sold a 1yr old ys640 for $800
Harry Barker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2014, 09:37 AM   #6
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

The badge on the door will have the production date. That discoloration below the door opening on the body is normal and just from cooking. A little Dawn and water should clean that right up. I did for me on my YS640 anyway.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:10 PM   #7
bproffer
Take a breath!

I sold mine for $950. It was a year old or so.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:39 PM   #8
sloandsteady
Full Fledged Farker

This is great information. I was told that the build date is October 2011. For those that have or have had the YS640, what are some things I should look for while the cooker is in front of me? Are there any parts that are prone to abuse or wearing out?

Last edited by sloandsteady; 04-11-2014 at 02:39 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 04-11-2014, 02:48 PM   #9
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloandsteady View Post
This is great information. I was told that the build date is October 2011. For those that have or have had the YS640, what are some things I should look for while the cooker is in front of me? Are there any parts that are prone to abuse or wearing out?
General condition--obviously

When you first power it up, check the firmware version. U-26 is the current one if I am correct.
If it is lower, you can get new firmware and a "loader" from Yoder. Brings the controller up to date.

Great cooker----I am doing 4 huge Chuckies and a Chicken as we speek.
Could not be happier

Good Luck

TIM

Old 04-11-2014, 06:24 PM   #10
bproffer
Take a breath!

Built like a tank. I loved mine, just needed something bigger. If you end up getting it, pick up the grill grate kit for it.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:51 PM   #11
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

The weakness used to be the igniter. They had a bad batch but that is no longer an issue anymore. Go see it. Make sure it has pellets in it. Plug it in, flip to on switch and then press start. It should get up to temp. (350) in 18 min. If it doesn't start, you may just need one of the new igniters. No big deal and you should be able to get the smoker for 1/2 price since it is non functioning. Don't tell him that it is a easy fix.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote