• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Smoked Kielbasa and Shank Cassoulet

CharredApron

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I have been wanting to try this dish for quite a while now. It is considered a staple meal of the locals and a favorite in my new region. Every market has a canned or jarred variety of their own and the authentic recipe according to Wiki
goes like this "The region once known as the province of Languedoc is the traditional homeland of cassoulet, especially the towns of Toulouse, Carcassonne, and Castelnaudary, the town which claims to be where the dish originated.[2] All are made with white beans (haricots blancs or lingots),[a] duck or goose confit, sausages, and additional meat. In the cassoulet of Toulouse, the meats are pork and mutton, the latter frequently a cold roast shoulder. The Carcassonne version is similar but doubles the portion of mutton and sometimes replaces the duck with partridge.[3] The cassoulet of Castelnaudary uses a duck confit instead of mutton.
In France, cassoulets of varying price and quality are also sold in cans and jars in supermarkets, grocery stores and charcuteries. The cheapest ones contain only beans, tomato sauce, sausages, and bacon. More expensive versions are likely to be cooked with goose fat and to include Toulouse sausages, lamb, goose, or duck confit."

Here is my version.

Thanks for lookin!

I love cassoulet, we only rarely made it, as the ingredients were pricey and it takes time. I'm a duck and sausage cassoulet guy

I love cassoulet, we only rarely made it, as the ingredients were pricey and it takes time. I'm a duck and sausage cassoulet guy
I would have loved to add the duck confit but my wife doesn't care for it. Next time I make a batch of my own. It all started by finding a pressure cooker in the pantry that I wanted to try out on the beans. It worked like a champ and cut the time way down to complete!

You have no idea how much I'd love to visit you Brother.
It just ain't in the cards...........yet

:thumb:

One day Brother, with the lil man on the way, I'm thinkin world travel may be on hold for a while.

Looks awesome! I've only made it once, and it called for a seasoned bread crumb crust on top. Is that not the way they do it over there?

Back