MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:42 PM   #31
uncblue
Full Fledged Farker

awesome design..Love that NC ingenuity

I've been noodling over the idea of putting together a small cook where I feed as many vets and their families visiting the Durham VA or trying to do a cook for the Ronald McDonald house for families with sick loved ones... I think your 85 gal drum would hold enough food to make quite a few people happy...

PM me if interested in joining us

Old 08-22-2013, 10:42 PM   #32
WombleNC
Knows what a fatty is.

@ Dave M......... yeah its pretty tall. If I put a dome lid on it the DHS would think I had a mini SCUD missile sitting on my patio! lol
I am alittle over 6' tall and I can still put a grate all the way down on my lowest setting without any problem. The coal basket will be a challenge. I will prolly have to make me some hooks of some sort.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:51 PM   #33
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

That's bad arse!

Really dig the design and craftsmanship. Awesome job!!

Old 08-22-2013, 10:55 PM   #34
uncblue
Full Fledged Farker

I saw a charcoal basket design earlier on youtube that had a chain attached to it..seemed real easy to access it and remove with it

Old 08-22-2013, 11:01 PM   #35
WombleNC
Knows what a fatty is.

I believe I seen the same one. I have a similar idea but my basket handle will be solid and I will use a chain to retrieve the basket. Either that or make two T handle hooks.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:05 PM   #36
WombleNC
Knows what a fatty is.

Also....... I may have a line on another 85 gal drum. The guy I got mine from had another. It had a few battle scars but never the less it was an 85. If anyone is in the area an may want it let me know and I will see if he still has it.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:06 PM   #37
borzwazie
Knows what a fatty is.

well, if it's real tall, I recommend you only cook with old t-shirts. all your cook shirts are gonna get a grease line across the belly that never comes out :D
borzwazie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2013, 11:13 PM   #38
uncblue
Full Fledged Farker

I've been entertaining the idea of a UDS for quite some time..I'd love to take you up on the offer but I dont have any of the awesome toys that I see in your pics... You went for metal toys and I went for a small wood working shop....

very tempting though.....

Old 08-22-2013, 11:14 PM   #39
WombleNC
Knows what a fatty is.

I am not sure I have a T-shirt that doesn't have a stain of some sort. Oh.... no wait I think I have one. My wife keeps it in a Ziploc bag...

Old 08-22-2013, 11:34 PM   #40
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Does a Weber 26" lid come close to fitting? I'd sure try that approach if you've got the welding skills (and you do..).

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2013, 11:46 PM   #41
Wneill20
is one Smokin' Farker

Very nice! I like everything about it

Old 08-23-2013, 02:05 AM   #42
smokemaster1
Full Fledged Farker

That's a sweet machine!

Old 08-23-2013, 02:30 AM   #43
fedex
Full Fledged Farker

This is why I look at every new UDS build on here. I've made 20+ over the last 5 years for friends and profit and learned every thing I know about them from this website. Alway love the different twists people do to these awesome cookers.
UDS, Yellow 22", 2008 Weber Ranch, SS Blue Performer, 18" Blue Platinum, Wife Model#1962
fedex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2013, 07:25 AM   #44
kwas68
is one Smokin' Farker

Love the rack design. I wish I knew how to weld...

UDS's, Multiple Weber Grills
kwas68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2013, 07:40 AM   #45
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

For thermos, I would add a Tel Tru, they are probably the most reliable, come in a bunch of sizes and face color options (I use the glow in the dark but they make a trick black face also). I would also add a couple gromets to insert probes from an electronic unit. I use the iGrill but Maverick makes a great unit ant there is a new BluTherm Duo wireless bluetooth unit out from Thermoworks (the makers of Thermopen).