MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:42 PM   #1366
BobF
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
Does the ECB pan have holes in it?
If not, she won't burn, gotta have air, preferably coming from the bottom to keep that fire goin!
Not yet.
Should I drill some?
The coal holder will sit about 3/8" above the pan so there is air space there.
The ECB used it with no holes or anything other than air over the top. Not that it worked that good. This will hold the fuel over the pan and allow air in under the holder.

Thanks to all who have humored my stupid ideas.
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2008, 07:47 PM   #1367
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Fire starting thought...anyone considered using a propane burner BENEATH the fuel basket to start your fuel...??? Something along the lines of an electric ignition system on a gas grill...
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2008, 07:48 PM   #1368
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobF View Post
Not yet.
Should I drill some?
The coal holder will sit about 3/8" above the pan so there is air space there.
The ECB used it with no holes or anything other than air over the top. Not that it worked that good. This will hold the fuel over the pan and allow air in under the holder.

Thanks to all who have humored my stupid ideas.
Touche'

Never a stupid idea.....this hole thread started on a "stupid idea".

You'd need a LOT of holes which defeats the purpose of the ash catcher.
I just found at a garage sale an old 18" round camping grill that will set in the bottom of the drum as my new ash pan!!

Pictures at Eleven!!
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2008, 08:39 PM   #1369
BobF
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
Touche'

Never a stupid idea.....this hole thread started on a "stupid idea".

You'd need a LOT of holes which defeats the purpose of the ash catcher.
I just found at a garage sale an old 18" round camping grill that will set in the bottom of the drum as my new ash pan!!

Pictures at Eleven!!
OK.
I'll try it with no holes first. I can always add some .
Lot easier to add holes than take them away.
Many years ago, the guy teachin me aircraft assembly said "take that hole out and drill it again".
Never forgot.
Soon as I get my hands on some expanded metal, I'll stop a lot of this foolishness and make a proper basket.
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2008, 09:18 PM   #1370
N8man
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobF View Post
OK.
I'll try it with no holes first. I can always add some .
Lot easier to add holes than take them away.
Many years ago, the guy teachin me aircraft assembly said "take that hole out and drill it again".
Never forgot.
Soon as I get my hands on some expanded metal, I'll stop a lot of this foolishness and make a proper basket.
This is what I did to an old ECB Pan:

Works well enough as an Ash Pan with my Charcoal Basket and has enough air intake to keep the Coals Burning.

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2008, 12:33 AM   #1371
HB-BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD McGee View Post
Fire starting thought...anyone considered using a propane burner BENEATH the fuel basket to start your fuel...??? Something along the lines of an electric ignition system on a gas grill...
Good idea, I was trying to think of what type would work best and be cheap. Maybe modify a weed burner somehow since the parts seem basic..

HB-BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2008, 12:49 AM   #1372
Norcoredneck

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2008, 12:57 AM   #1373
HB-BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

I knew I saw that here but couldnt remember where. I wonder if you could adapt it as a permanant burner?
HB-BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2008, 10:28 AM   #1374
JD McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
Yep...something like that that you can keep in the bottom of the UDS. Maybe plumb it with pipe having a quick disconnect attached outside the drum...hmmmm...

Old 07-19-2008, 10:59 AM   #1375
JD McGee

We have a gas starter in our wood burning fireplace. Seems pretty simple and it can be easily adapted to a drum...just not sure about where to attach an electronic ignition.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:32 AM   #1376
ColdSmoke
Got Wood.

Default Stupid Barrel Burn Question

So I have aquired a barrel. I started a big ol' fire in it and burned it until the fire deptartment showed up and told me to put it out. (About 90 minutes). Did I mention I live in the city and I have a real PITA for a neighbor.

I have a buddy outside of town that is gonna let me bring the barrel over to his place and burn it out properly this weekend. Trouble is, I am not sure what the heck I am doing and I need to get it right.

How long do I burn it? I assume there is a visual way to know when I am done. The barrel has blue paint on the outside (with some character added by some surface rust). The inside appears to have a deep red coating on it. Might be worth mentioning that the red surface had some white streaks on it that looked like latex paint but felt a little harder.

After my 90 minute burn, 85% of the outside is white. The bottom 15% around the air intakes is still blue. The white almost looks like a thin layer of ash.

Inside the barrel is a thick soot and ash covering over the red pigment. It is still red. Almost reminds me of a hard acrylic coating. I can wipe the soot off and some red pigment comes off as well but it is still red underneath.

I need some help figuring out how to burn it clean. How hot, how long, method to use, lid on or off?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:56 AM   #1377
Mark

Name/Nickname : Mark

Coldsmoke:

Yours is a very good question given the hassels many of us face with the local authorities.

A big-ass propane fueled weed burner is one option.

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2008, 12:59 PM   #1378
Hook_Line_and_Sinker
is One Chatty Farker

ColdSmoke the primary object here is to get that red off. the Red epoxy is the hard one to remove and may take several burns with very hot fires. I should mention that you should NOT use any accelerent to start the fires since that would again defeat some of the purpose of the burn out. ( so no gasoline or charcoal fluid )

The white ash is the look you are going for you will notice that it rubs off quite easily and with a light sanding, and revels bare metal. the interior red will require more time in the fire than the outside.

Consider dumping a few fully lit chimneys of charcoal lump in the drum to get the bottom end burnt off. It would help if the drum were supported by four bricks, so that the ground does not suck off some of the heat from the bottom. add some smaller wood peaces to gradually elevate the level of the burn hot spot. once you have the bottom burned off add wood until you have flames burning off the rest of the drum.

what wood to use is a point of contention but I would say use the same types of wood that are used for smoking, namely hardwoods. most of the wood used for construction are types of fir and can be hazardous to smoke with. Hardwoods will produce a hotter fire as will lump charcoal. You need heat more than you need smoke for this burn out.

A good weed burner is always a good tool for this as well, it will produce lots of heat in a small area, so you will need to heat evenly as you burn off the paint to avoid distortion of the drum and lid.

Once you have it well burned out you will need to get the inside to bare metal with either:
  • A "wire wheel on a stick" ( wire wheel screwed to a length of threaded rod sandwiched between some nuts and lock washers)
  • Hand or power sanding
  • Wire brushing by hand
  • Sandblasting
  • Anyway you can get it to bare metal
  • many of the above
Do you know what was in your Drum before? one thing to remember is that even an unlined bare metal drum will react with what was in it before and become part of the metal. Lined or drums with a painted interior help to prevent that reaction a little but not completely. SO bottom Line is that What ever was in your Drum in the past will leave trace amounts in the metal of the drum. so if you are not sure that you drum did NOT contain some poisonous or hazardous stuff in it before you should find a drum that YOU KNOW had only food grade non hazardous contents. After all you will be cooking for you, your family and friends in it!

That being said I'm sure there is someone somewhere cooking up a storm in a drum formerly used for storing spent plutonium in an DDT bath, that will say just rinse out the pained and lined drum and start smoking in it!

Viking 30 inch Gravity Fed Charcoal Smoker
Brinkmann 5 burner gas grill with sear & rotisserie
UDS's 3 and growing
Char Griller w/SFB w/mods
Orion Cooker
Charbroil 7000 Gas Grill
Hook_Line_and_Sinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2008, 01:51 PM   #1379
ColdSmoke
Got Wood.

Default Barrel Origins

I did go back to teh steel yard today and found another barrel that looks the same as mine (blue paint with dark red interior. It had a sticker on the lid that was very faded and but I think it said Sherwin Williams. I also saw the the word exterior.

I am thinking that it maybe contained exterior latex paint. That makes sense considering the drum had what appeared to be streaks of white paint on the inside.

Can I use this? I have been looking for a source for a "food grade" barrel and simply cannot find one I know is of this type. For that matter, I don't know how "food grade" is different then "not food grade".

I just wanna get started on this.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:54 PM   #1380
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Dump it and find another.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker