MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #16
oifmarine2003
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dat View Post
Ok. I spoke to him again today. He has suggested a deal in which I am responsible for all expenses in regards to BBQ (meat, rubs, sauce, sides, wood, supplies etc). He would continue to sell his regular items, but I would have full use of the kitchen and all food would go through the same cash register.

He has proposed a commision for himself of 15% of my gross in exchange.

Opinions???
A lot depends on what you are considered. If you are an outside contractor (which I am assuming since everything is supposed to be running through the same register) then he will have to 1099 you and you are responsible for sending in tax payments to the IRS.

I don't think running your food through his register is a good idea. This will make tax payments really weird. If someone buys a pulled pork from you and a cheeseburger from him, it will be rung up at the same time. He would have to be responsible for sales tax payments. The whole shared register is a bad idea IMHO.

Also, if you were to lease a space, you could write off the lease payments whereas with this proposed setup, you are limiting the tax advantages you will be able to take advantage of.

I'm not an accountant but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night....

Old 10-04-2013, 10:40 PM   #17
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizznessman View Post
The 15% of Gross sounds a bit high to me unless you are able to keep your costs low and maintain a high profit margin.
It does seem a bit high, but he will be taking care of utilities and possibly insurance as well.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2013, 08:39 AM   #18
erandolph
Knows what a fatty is.

Other than the new rub I tried last night something doesn't smell right. In a nutshell this is the offer.

Gas station - owns smoker, runs all sales through his storefront, keeps 15% of gross. Are we talking sales or profits.

You - responsible for cost of goods, food prep, cooking.

At first I thought this was a sweet deal for you and then I realized the gas station has the sweetest deal. They get an added feature to their shop with zero risk. He also gets to control all the money from the sales. While everything sounds great in theory at the end of the day when you start putting out a quality product and making serious money i can almost gaurantee there will a storm brewing. To be the evil gas station owner, I have someone coming in willing to revive our bbq service. After 4 months you do, gas station owner says thanks but this set up just isnt working out for me and I am going to do the bbq myself. Don't think so, wait until you sell $1,500 in ribs compared to his $100 in burgers. He owns the equipment, the space, the business etc. You are just a contractor.

Yes you will recieve a 1099 but that is not a big deal. Unless the place does mega amount of sales (75k+) you will not have to file quarterly tax payments. He is assuming the sales tax liablity not you since his tax id is making the sale. Does he have a POS system to track the orders and what was purchased. Not to say people are dishonest but you can see where i am headed. You need to track for everything sold so you can make sure you get credit for the sale.

First and foremost you need to have a proprietary agreement where the BBQ name, rubs, sauces, recipes all stay with you. Again if Q-dat bbq is getting a name for itself and then he tells you to hit the bricks, Q-dat is technically the stations name. Secondly, come up with a set monthly overhead amount. Again when sales start taking off the owner will come back and say hey you do know you are using my water, electric, kitchen, etc. There is a value for that. If you have a set monthly amount he is owed now, it will not be an issue in the future. Give youself a few months free rent as goodwill from the landlord to get the business started.

If you want to go into business you have to assume some risk. Just purchasing the meat and rub is not risk, that's making lunch. The gas station owner needs to know you have some skin in the game otherwise he will view all the liability as being his. You need to tie yourself to the place.

My 2 cent suggestions.
1) set up your own llc, pay the gas station rent for the space you need. Operate the bbq as a cash and carry independant from the gas station. Problem is this is costly, setting up the business, insurances, permits, and purchasing the smoker from the landlord.

2) continue with your current set up. However to tie you to the place, do a rent to own on the smoker. Come up with an agreed price with the owner, and all profits made will go towards the agreed purchase price. Yes it is going to suck to work for X number of months and take home zero dollars. Ask anyone who has worked in the food industry, this is the norm for starting a new biz. At the end of the day you are reinvesting your profits back into the company to acquire an asset. That asset is your tie to the business and most importantly the Que. Difficult for the owner to tell you to leave if you own the smoker. However this option is a tough sell to the station owner because if he has any business sense he will know he just opted the leverage to you.

Good luck. This can be done and you can do it just make sure all your bases are covered. You want to have something at the end for all of your hard work.
erandolph is offline   Reply With Quote