MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #1
ironmanerik
is One Chatty Farker

Default side by side baby backs and spares

I've done baby backs on my old brinkman bullet smoker but didn't have room for more than three racks. Things have changed, now I have room so i'm doing three racks of bb's and three spares. I was going to do a 2 1/2-1 1/2-1 my question is will they both cook in the same time frame?

Old 05-10-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
HuskerMan
Full Fledged Farker

The spares will take longer than baby backs. Your probably looking more at a 3-2-1 for full spares depending on temp.
HuskerMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

Probably not. I cook spares 3-2-1 but BBs at 2-1.5-1.

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

I don't foil and when I do them together I put the BB's in the cooler part of the smoker so both spares and BB's get done at about the same time.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:54 PM   #5
lfurl43142
On the road to being a farker

Have you done a comparison taste test? Which do you prefer?

Old 05-10-2013, 05:04 PM   #6
ironmanerik
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfurl43142 View Post
Have you done a comparison taste test? Which do you prefer?
That's what this is they are in the fridge with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne. I am putting my go to store bought sauce Pats Ho-made on one of each, my homemade sauce on one of each, and brown sugar, brown mustard before the cook on the other two.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:10 PM   #7
Grabnabber
Babbling Farker

For me, I might throw the spares on about an hour before the BB's (I don't foil). The BB's usually cook a bit more quickly in my experience.

Also, I never trim them so YMMV.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:40 PM   #8
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

spares take about 4 hours for me, 3 hours for "loin backs". That's cooking at 300ish, no foiling, mopping, etc. Just straight up cook 'em till they are done.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote