MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-10-2006, 05:07 PM   #1
Bossmanbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Default Italian Roaster Peppers

Well, I had the shock of my life, my wife being Italian decided to grow some Italian Roaster peppers for me this summer. I love hot peppers, and now I think I met my match. The other day while I was smoking some pulled pork I decided to eat one of these peppers, it was green and your supposed to wait until they are red. The green was pretty good, nice bite to it and I didn't think much about it.

So today my youngest son comes to me with one of the red Italian roasters and says, "hey dad try this one" Didnt think much about it and took a bite off the end, OH MY GOSH I just about wet myself , this damn thing was soooo hot that it took my breath away and I couldnt even talk. I had to run upstairs for a glass of milk to put out the fire while the son went out laughing to tell the bosslady and now the neighborhood the prized reaction he got from his dad eating this pepper.

Any of the Brethren out there have experiences with these peppers from hell? I mean I LOVE the hot stuff and pride myself, until now with being able to handle most anything I have tried before, even eat stuff that others were afraid of, but today I think I met my match. I'll try and post some photos here in a bit.

" You can put all of the sauce on it you want, but you still have to master the art of cooking barbecue"
- Mike Mills-
Bossmanbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2006, 05:14 PM   #2
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Now that's funny. The son got one over on dad. Please do post a pic. I am curious as I've never heard of them. Made a batch of habanero mash for canning today that will take your breath away.

Old 09-10-2006, 05:18 PM   #3
MilitantSquatter

I'm not sure If I'm talking the same peppers as you are but my grandmother would grow these in her yard.... She used to call them Italian frying peppers. There were light green and long and thin. I still cook them occasionally as she did prepares them.

She would cut them into small pieces, fry them until somewhat soft in olive oil and garlic with a very thin tomato sauce and some S&P.

Excellent with when dipped in with a loaf of fresh Italian bread...
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2006, 06:11 PM   #4
Bossmanbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Here's the picture of them, they look almost like a green chili pepper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0012.JPG (76.5 KB, 87 views)

" You can put all of the sauce on it you want, but you still have to master the art of cooking barbecue"
- Mike Mills-
Bossmanbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2006, 06:26 PM   #5
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Don't know the proper name but I got a bunch of those from a lady at work. She had purchased the seedlings at kmart and they were labeled (miss labeled obviously) green bell peppers. She hammered them with Miracle Grow and had a bunch. I had no idea what they were so I just smoked them and finished them off in a dehydrator. Got a bag of unkown pepper dust now. And yes they are hot.

Old 09-10-2006, 06:43 PM   #6
djmarko
Full Fledged Farker

Those are cayenne peppers brother. Hot as you know what. That's what you get in a pizza place to put on top of your pizza. They are dried first. Better known as red pepper flakes.

Old 09-10-2006, 08:52 PM   #7
MilitantSquatter

Those are definitely not what I was referring too.Those are hot....

The peppers I got them mixed up with are the one's sometimes referred to as cubanel's... we call em Italian frying peppers in my house. Sweeter...
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2006, 09:02 PM   #8
bbqjoe
Banned

I think they're red for a reason...........
WARNING, WARNING, WARNING!!!!!!
bbqjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2006, 02:36 AM   #9
CarbonToe
is One Chatty Farker

I couldn't do without eating Spicy food at least every three days, like BBQ I couldn't live without it!

Old 09-11-2006, 09:24 AM   #10
jpw23
Babbling Farker

I gave one of those to a friend, he took a bite and then ran in circles trying to find the water hose!!!! it was a good day at the Williams house.

---------------------------------------------------
Chargriller Pro with mods
El Cheapo Brinkman
Some name I can't remember Gasser
Oil Less Turkey fryer
jpw23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2006, 12:33 PM   #11
BBQ_MAFIA
somebody shut me the fark up.

The peppers in the photo are usually fried slowly in olive oil along with a few cloves of garlic.
We grow these every year in the garden and they can be very hot.
I usually, put a slit in the pepper so air can escape so I don't get burned if the pepper pops open.
Trust me, the oil burns so be careful. These peppers are great on a sandwich or with cheese or on
any antipasto plate. Most people I know fry them when they are green. The peppers turn red if they
are left on the plant longer. IMO I don't think there is a significant difference in the taste between the
green and the red.

One thing you will want to know is that the oil you fry the peppers in is delicious. I always add some to my
ABT mixture.

Eat and enjoy, but be careful not to eat to many as they are also hot on the way out.

Lang 60
Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer with Chargrill
Large Spicewine
Large BGE
XL - BGE
Med. BGE ( Bought it for my son Vincenzo)
Brinkman Snp
Brinkman ECB
GOSM
Weber Kettle
Kenmore Elite Gasser
Camp Chef Outdoor Stove
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 36" Griddle
1-Banjo
BBQ_MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote