What would you charge??

M

Michael in PA

I have a gig coming up and I'm curious what you would charge for the following:

150 lb pig
60 racks 4.5 lb spare ribs cut down to St. Louis and rib tips served as appetizer
30 5 lb chickens
beans and cole slaw
paper goods, etc.

cooked onsite

Also, how many people (big eaters) would you expect to feed with that?

Thanks.

I just don't think there is enough info to determine the price.
What are his costs? How many guests? How many helpers needed?
Losts of variables:roll:

here are my thoughts

600 onsite roasting
1000 for the pig
1080 for the ribs
900 chicken
350 sides
200 paper goods and misc

4130:lol:

this is based on dropping the food off hot and butchering the pig there.

600 onsite roasting
1000 for the pig $6.66 a pound ok
1080 for the ribs $18 a rack nice price
900 chicken $6.00 a pound ? a little pricey maybe
350 sides
200 paper goods and misc

4130:lol: all seems good to me

all seems good to me

600 onsite roasting
1000 for the pig
1080 for the ribs
900 chicken
350 sides
200 paper goods and misc

4130:lol:

We don't do whole hogs. (to be honest, never been asked.) So, I'm curious how much staff you would use for this size gig.

My cost on the pig would be approx $200.00 from Pigs R Us (Garner Ranch) in Yuba City, California. The pig is cleaned and ready to cook when I pick it up. I think OC Pig Assasin may be slightly high on the whole pig and very high on the chicken. There are variables also---how labor intensive are the side dishes? Is this a buffet line or being served? Is the pig going to be stuffed? How far do you have to travel?

That amount of food would feed 250 easy and I would be around at 17.00 a head so $4250 Oc isn't high a pig that size here is $250 before cooking so I would be around $800 just for that.His cost may be higher in NJ

I just don't think there is enough info to determine the price.
What are his costs? How many guests? How many helpers needed?
Losts of variables:roll:

The question was what would YOU charge given these specific quantities. Also, how many big eaters would all of this feed?

600 onsite roasting
1000 for the pig
1080 for the ribs
900 chicken
350 sides
200 paper goods and misc

Thanks for the breakdown. I think you may be low on the ribs and high on the chicken, but they offset.

We don't do whole hogs. So, I'm curious how much staff you would use for this size gig.

Pig is pretty much set it and forget it. We need a dedicated person to carve so we will do this one with 5, maybe 6 if my knee doesn't improve:mad:

There are variables also---how labor intensive are the side dishes? Is this a buffet line or being served? Is the pig going to be stuffed? How far do you have to travel?

Slaw and beans - 3-4 hours prep at most. A buffet line with service for the initial crush, then self service for stragglers and 2nd helpings. Not stuffed and 20 minute drive.

$3,174.92

Perhaps you can elaborate Friday in Green Lane over a small glass of moon water?

That amount of food would feed 250 easy and I would be around at 17.00 a head so $4250

So you would allocate slightly less than 3 oz pig, slightly less than 3 ribs and 1.2 pieces of chicken (I cut birds into 10 pieces) per person? That seems very reasonable, but the fact that they are heavy eaters makes me a bit nervous. It's a random factor that screws ups my estimates.

$3000.00, hog would be done when we arrive.

How many big eaters do you think all this will feed?

We would be around $3,100 for the gig with 3 lines and 6 peeps plus myself to serve the pig. lol, would love to get a gig like this if I had all the equipment to pull it off. I'd spend more on rental costs than the gig would bring in... :-?

The reason chicken is so high because of the labor involved. To cook whole chickens and pull them is a pain in the arse.

Calculate at $15 (or $10 or $20 or whatever you feel is fair) per head as a starter.... Then figure out your prep time, food costs and number of folks that will be required to do the cooking/serving during the event itself. Then determine what your time is worth. You should be able to come up with a number that will work for you. Everyone has a price, some folks are cheap while others cook good and know it and charge accordingly. I go for a minimum $1000 per day profit on site.... of which my wife takes half... :confused: sometimes.... That said, there will probably be 10 hours of prep, but that is easily done watching ESPN. This weekends gig is for 120 folks ($1800) at $15 per head and I have already spent $625 on food/supplies. I still need to purchase some chickens. This seems fair to me, since I have no overhead. I will pay my daughter $100 for her assistance serving.

A couple things you didn't mention.....

Have you ever cooked for this many folks before? The prep time might surprise you.

Exactly how many folks will you be feeding?

I have a gig coming up and I'm curious what you would charge for the following:

150 lb pig
60 racks 4.5 lb spare ribs cut down to St. Louis and rib tips served as appetizer
30 5 lb chickens
beans and cole slaw
paper goods, etc.

cooked onsite

Also, how many people (big eaters) would you expect to feed with that?

Thanks.

Everything I do is on site, So there is no extra charge on my end for that.
But for me it's

Pig 150 x $6 per = 900
60 racks x $20 = 1200
Apetizers x 2 per but I do not know how many you are attempting to serve.
30 chickens x $12 per = 360 (this price is reflected on a typical catering where I am serving more than just chicken or doing the whole meal. If not it changes the numbers to a higher profit margin.
Beans and slaw are $2 per peson
Paper goods are wrapped into the final number of the quote and would be included in a per person charge. Also including insurance, ETC.

150lb pig serves 150 people
60 racks serves 360 servings@ 2 bones each
30 chickens serves 240 servings But there is always the wings that nobody wants and some aint getting the breast or drum, So I try to serve one type of chicken or the other if possible.

So as stated earlier it is easier to get the number of people and then figure the numbers as opposed to trying to serve whom you can from what you got.

Good luck with the cook though, Sounds like a fun cook

Back