MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 08-26-2018, 06:34 PM   #1
LYU370
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default BBQ Austin

Coming down for the Brethren Fall Bash, gonna stick around and hit a bunch of places. Coming in the Thursday before & leaving the following Tuesday. Anyone else want to hit up some places? Let me know.

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2018, 09:49 PM   #2
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

This your first Austin BBQ trip?
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:04 PM   #3
LYU370

Yep. Starting to line up some places. Also looking for some good non Que spots. Have a few friends in town as well that have given me some ideas.

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
Old 08-27-2018, 03:27 AM   #4
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Other than BBQ I would seek out some good Tex-Mex or taco spots. Its been a few years since I lived in Austin but your friends there should know some spots.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:01 AM   #5
BigThicket
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Brad

I second Rockinar. Lots of great Tex-mex in that area besides the awesome BBQ. Or check out Valentina's for a little of both.

So it goes - Vonnegut
BigThicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:03 PM   #6
LYU370

Valentina's was one of the ones on the list. Probably hit the Salt Lick, as one on my friends lives down that way. As they said and I've heard, it's not the best BBQ, but it's a fun atmosphere and a good time.

Old 08-27-2018, 03:04 PM   #7
gtr

Salt Lick is a fun spot. Food isn't like the legendary BBQ around there, but good enough to eat while looking at a bunch of super lovely TX ladies.

If you wanna do the line, obviously Franklin's - but isn't for everybody. I had fun though and the brisket is the best I've had.

John Mueller's Black Box BBQ in Georgetown is great - all his stuff. Love his beans and he also has a great squash dish as a side.

Stiles Switch - great atmosphere, great food, not a big hassle with lines and stuff that I'm aware of - I've only been once and was fantastic and easy.

I'd guess you're already aware of Snow's, Louie Mueller's, and the Lockhart spots. Snow's is only open on Saturdays - so you may not wanna go there on the day of a Bash, unless you have 4 stomachs.

For the Lockhart spots, I've only been twice, but based on that and what I've heard, different places are better on different days. I love love love the pork chop and clod at Kruez. Black's meat is great, and they also have really good sides - and their peach cobbler is really good.

TMBBQ has great reviews and info:

https://www.texasmonthly.com/?s=bbq+reviews
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 08-27-2018, 05:05 PM   #8
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYU370 View Post
Valentina's was one of the ones on the list. Probably hit the Salt Lick, as one on my friends lives down that way. As they said and I've heard, it's not the best BBQ, but it's a fun atmosphere and a good time.

Just go to Salt Lick understanding that it's reheated tourist BBQ and not Texas BBQ. The pit you see in front is not for cooking. It's what they use to reheat it. For some reason everyone thinks its cooked on that pit. It's not. That open pit is just for show.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:28 PM   #9
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy
Default Terry Blacks?

I haven't been to Austin, but lately, I have caught on Facebook, multiple posts about Terry Blacks BBQ and saw they have been going since 2013 I believe? Are they comparable to the bigger name places?
Old 08-31-2018, 01:33 PM   #10
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

If your friends live out near Dripping Springs you may want to consider Stiles Switch. They opened a 2nd location in Dripping Springs called The Switch BBQ & Brew. They are open all day till about 9 and have specials like chicken with Alabama white sauce, prime rib, etc. I've not been there but it looks really good.
Old 08-31-2018, 04:30 PM   #11
frognot

Name/Nickname : Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYU370 View Post
Coming down for the Brethren Fall Bash, gonna stick around and hit a bunch of places. Coming in the Thursday before & leaving the following Tuesday. Anyone else want to hit up some places? Let me know.
Andy, I took some vacation time then and plan to come down either Thursday of Friday. My nephew from Tennessee is hoping to attend and hopefully I can convince my son to take off then also. Definitely would love to hit some BBQ or Tex-Mex joints down there with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
If your friends live out near Dripping Springs you may want to consider Stiles Switch. They opened a 2nd location in Dripping Springs called The Switch BBQ & Brew. They are open all day till about 9 and have specials like chicken with Alabama white sauce, prime rib, etc. I've not been there but it looks really good.
Stiles Switch is the real deal when it comes to good BBQ. Would pass on Salt Lick and check them out.

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 07:10 PM   #12
LYU370

Quote:
Originally Posted by frognot View Post
Andy, I took some vacation time then and plan to come down either Thursday of Friday. My nephew from Tennessee is hoping to attend and hopefully I can convince my son to take off then also. Definitely would love to hit some BBQ or Tex-Mex joints down there with you.

Stiles Switch is the real deal when it comes to good BBQ. Would pass on Salt Lick and check them out.
Sweet! My flight gets in late morning on Thursday, leave the following Tuesday. Have a friend that lives a little NW of Austin in one of the suburbs and one somewhere down near the Salt Lick. Only reason I thought I'd go there. Trying to get them both to come up to the bash.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:53 PM   #13
sickhick
Full Fledged Farker

Kemuri Tatsu Ya, mindblowing. Texas BBQ and Japanese izakaya mixed. Oh god I love that place.
Old 09-22-2018, 07:18 PM   #14
LYU370

BBQ Sushi? Well that sounds interesting. My buddy that lives down there is a sushi nut.

Trying to decide if I want to take a ride down to San Antonio while I'm there. I hear Cured is supposed to be real good.

Old 09-29-2018, 12:45 AM   #15
chambersuac

I live about an hour outside of Austin - about 30 minutes from Lockhart, and 15 minutes from Luling. If y'all are going to hit any place in Lockhart or Luling, let me know - maybe we could meet up. Or, if you just need anything whor you're down here, y'all can call or text me at 309.229.9369

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote