• Veal Osso Buco on the Kamado: An Italian Gravy Dish Fit for a King

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
This is one of the Missus' and my favorites cold weather meals - it's hearty, savory, and warms the soul, through and through.

If you don't know what Osso Buco is, it is an Italian dish consisting of veal shanks that have been simmered in a delectable tomato and finely chopped veggie sauce that turns into a delicious thick gravy as the meat cooks and the sauce thickens.

Usually served with long strands of thick pasta to absorb the gravy goodness, and topped with dry grated Parmesan & fresh parsley, it is truly the food of the Gods!

First, we start with the basics - onion, garlic, celery, carrot, salt, red wine, tomato paste, aromatic herbs, ground black pepper, & beef broth:

Osso%20Buco%203_zpsemomk6ax.jpg

First, the onions, carrots, and celery must be reduced:

Osso%20Buco%204_zpsai3wh2l8.jpg

Then mixed with the herb mixture, beef broth, and tomato paste:

Osso%20Buco%207_zps8dtdf1bg.jpg

While that's cooking nice and slow, we need to sear the veal. Season the shanks up properly with sea salt and fresh ground black pepper:

Osso%20Buco%206_zpshsuiqrgg.jpg

Then put on the grill:

Osso%20Buco%208_zpsfmldtrla.jpg

After both sides were nice and seared, I let them rest for a few:

Osso%20Buco%2010_zpsvqxltgtf.jpg

While the shanks were resting, we continued working on the gravy sauce:

Osso%20Buco%2013_zpshr221g3l.jpg

The wonderful sauce went into a clay pot, along with the veal shanks so they could all get nice and comfy together for a nice long sit on the Vision Kamado for a couple of hours:

Osso%20Buco%2018_zpsxr9mecrs.jpg

Osso%20Buco%2015_zpskyjpedyx.jpg

At this point, the Kamado was running close to 325 degrees, perfect for what we were looking for in terms of temps.

Three hours later, this is what we had:

Osso%20Buco%2019_zps8jtocm29.jpg

Meanwhile, we boiled up some long egg noddles, then plated our entrees. None were disappointed. Here's a plated dish with the Osso Buco covered in gravy with a bit of freshly grated Parmesan on top:

Osso%20Buco%2020_zpsondzffxv.jpg

Closer:

Osso%20Buco%2021_zpssfs6vcd0.jpg

Thanks fer lookin'...

Beautiful! I can almost taste it.

A restaurant here does a pork shank version. It's awesome too, but I still prefer the veal by a small margin.

That looks fantastic!...one of my favorite "winter" dishes....try it over some polenta too...

I just looked at shanks and passed - gonna go back and get them and try it.
Your dish looks fantastic.

That looks amazing. It is perhaps my favorite dish though I've never attempted it at home. I will do so now as I am properly inspired (and you make it look easy!).
Three places that have great Osso Bucco: Piero's in Las Vegas near the Hilton just off strip, Osteria Del Teatro in Miami Beach, and Bravo Ristorante in Ft. Lauderdale on 17th.
Yours looks better!

That's righteous there Richard. Wow!! Haven't got around to it but def on my list to make it.

Back