6 Hour Brisket?!?

nrok2118

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
9.75# packer from walmart. Trimmed a good amount of fat off it but I would still think its at least 7-8 pounds. Either way, after a LONG wait for the wsm to come up to temp (Been snowing most of the day and damn chilly) I threw her on at 10:30pm. Pit temp cruised at 225 for a little bit before the meat warmed up and the pit ran nice at around 260-275 for a couple hours so I went to bed around 1am. Randomly woke up at 4:30am so I checked outside and see the wsm is at about 230-240. Still plenty hot I thought, but seems we're already running low on fuel. Plugged the probe into my thermometer to find the brisket at 208:shock: Grabbed the quick read thermo and start poking it (also this was the first I seen it since I put it one and man was it pretty). Getting around 200 all over and its probing like butta.

Only 6 hours and its overcooking! I cant believe it. And since this is my first packer im half asleep trying to find the point for some burnt ends. Ended up just cutting a section off and slicing it up. Had some flat in it but o well! I will say though it appears I may have found that magical texture as I ate some meat from whatever I was cutting:-D Im just worried the flat may be a bit dry. We'll see, its in the cooler right now and Im lying back down. Ill keep ya posted hopefully with some pics later.

only pic so far, rubbed and waiting for the wsm:
IMG_0025.jpg

Brisket for breakfast, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Might have something there Neil a Burnt end omelet or Brisket and eggs with browns?

Brisket for breakfast = HEARTBURN! shoulda seen that coming:doh:

Checked it out after rest to realize I totally didnt cut the point off for burnt ends, just kinda cut a random piece off, lesson learned. Also just cut into it and tried squeezing it, no juice, def gonna be dry. Flavors good though and we'll see what the middle area is like when I slice it. I decided to fridge it up for now whole to reheat and slice later around game time (GO EAGLES!!!!)

Some pics of my dry brisket and pseudo burnt ends:mmph:
IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

And the money shot:
IMG_0039.jpg

"Smell that? You smell that?"

"What?"

"Brisket son. Nothing in the world smells like that...I love the smell of brisket in the morning."

Apocalypse Now (1979) sort of...:-D

Brisket Hash for tomorrow's breakfast would be sweet!

Looks good enough to eat. I'd be happy to check it out and let you know if it was good or not!:laugh:

Ya'lls have never had brisket hash? :shocked:

that is a good looking brisket there, sounds like you are not an early morning person:p

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, like the treat of waking up early in the morning to some perfectly done brisket. Nothing.

Back