Hanging Pork ribs in a WSM 22

DanB

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Hi All When hanging pork ribs, 1 rack BB's and 1 St Louis, what temp and time should I shoot for. Water pan or No water pan.
THanks DanB

275, 4hrs give or take, directly over the coals.

I believe the water pan will be in the way...

Not if you place the water pan on a cooking grate on top of the charcoal ring like this. That's not water in the water pan in the picture. That's grease drippings from the ribs. Personally I find the smoke taste of ribs cooked directly over the coal overly harsh and prefer some kind of deflector. I used empty water pan on the charcoal ring for the longest time. Recently I bought the Hunsaker Vortex plate and having been using that. Both work equally well. I bought the Hunsaker plate because I was curious.

I like cooking 275-300 F. Ribs normally take 3-4 hours depending on thickness and quantity. I usually take my first peek at around the 3 hour mark. Until then I don't open the lid.

QV04vBdh.jpg

Not if you place the water pan on a cooking grate on top of the charcoal ring like this. That's not water in the water pan in the picture. That's grease drippings from the ribs. Personally I find the smoke taste of ribs cooked directly over the coal overly harsh and prefer some kind of deflector. I used empty water pan on the charcoal ring for the longest time. Recently I bought the Hunsaker Vortex plate and having been using that. Both work equally well. I bought the Hunsaker plate because I was curious.

I like cooking 275-300 F. Ribs normally take 3-4 hours depending on thickness and quantity. I usually take my first peek at around the 3 hour mark. Until then I don't open the lid.

QV04vBdh.jpg

My bad. I was not thinking outside the box. I may have to give that method a whirl. I find the drippings on the coals to be overpowering as well. I have a Gateway hanging kit, but lately have mostly used it for poultry. Thanks for the tip!

Hi All thanks for your fast replies. I'm going this route no water pan, I want too the taste difference when the grease hits the coals, also trying for 275 temps. Thinking 3-4 hrs.
Will post back with pics and results.
Thanks Again DanB

Hi All thanks for your fast replies. I'm going this route no water pan, I want too the taste difference when the grease hits the coals, also trying for 275 temps. Thinking 3-4 hrs.
Will post back with pics and results.
Thanks Again DanB
Started hanging Ribs in a WSM 18.5 directly over the coals and later in a Hunsaker, I liked them both ways.

My bad. I was not thinking outside the box. I may have to give that method a whirl. I find the drippings on the coals to be overpowering as well. I have a Gateway hanging kit, but lately have mostly used it for poultry. Thanks for the tip!

I highly recommend using the empty water pan as deflector shield on top of the charcoal ring when smoking pork and beef. For chicken, I actually prefer not using it and letting the drippings hit the coal. I think since the chicken cooks so fast I'm not as bothered by the excessive dirty smoke from the grease drippings burning on the coal.

Nice thing about using the empty water pan is that at the end of the cook, you can deep fry with the collected grease drippings in the pan if you want. Just remove the lid and the middle section of the WSM and deep fry finish the smoked ribs, chicken, etc. Here's picture of me deep frying pork skin on the collected grease after smoking some thick pork belly. How you use it is up to your imagination. :grin:

9YQXMTsh.jpg
zK6QqP1h.jpg

I use a gateway hanger in a 22 with no water pan. I’m a 250 guy. Honestly I prefer the smoke/taste profile of of “rack cooked” ribs on the 22 with a foiled water pan to hanging. Cook em to bend test and probe - don’t put too much stock in time or temp. 4-5 hrs and 195-203 degrees are good rules of thumb but nothing more. It’s 100% personal preference so I’d say try both and winner wins....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Hi All Well I have this Weber hanging rack sitting around for almost 2 years.I think it is time to use see how it comes out.
Question lid on or off, I'm thinkin on? I will be using 1/2 Lump 1/2 Stubbs.
DanB

Last edited:
4 hours seems like a really long time. Mine are done in 2 or 2.25 hanging the first hour wrapped the second. Around 300 measured via dial thermo drilled into the side of the body of the WSM. Cooks pretty much just like my Gateway drum, and in roughly the same amount of time. That time is for St Louis spares trimmed to 10-11 bones.

Hi All The ribs were done in 4 hrs. at 275* last 1/2 hr I wrapped one.WSM 22" and Weber hanging rack.Had some minor trouble getting the ribs on the hanger, but once on they wereon for good!
They looked great and tasted OK but was a little on the dry side. Don't know if I would hang ribs again. Both racks cooked the same the bottom wasn't overly cooked compared to the top of the ribs.I did have problems getting accurate rib temps,because the ribs were so thin, when I first put the Fireboard probes in they came right thru the meat and were sticking out the back side.
Thanks DanB

Attachments

• IMG_20190222_155857201_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190222_155857201_HDR.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_20190222_181107953_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190222_181107953_HDR.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: ulc
Great looking cook! I see you used the fish hooks that came with the Weber hanging kit. :p The hooks from PBC are so much better than the Weber fish hooks. I've only used the fish hooks when smoking fish.

I don't use any wood when I smoke over open charcoal. I find the dirty smoke taste from the burnt grease drippings is strong and harsh enough without the added wood smoke. I tested with added wood and the heavy smoke flavor was just too much for me. I only add wood for smoke if I'm using deflector like empty water pan or Hunsaker Vortex plate. The wood adds pleasant smoke flavor if I'm using a deflector.

Great looking cook! I see you used the fish hooks that came with the Weber hanging kit. :p The hooks from PBC are so much better than the Weber fish hooks. I've only used the fish hooks when smoking fish.

I don't use any wood when I smoke over open charcoal. I find the dirty smoke taste from the burnt grease drippings is strong and harsh enough without the added wood smoke. I tested with added wood and the heavy smoke flavor was just too much for me. I only add wood for smoke if I'm using deflector like empty water pan or Hunsaker Vortex plate. The wood adds pleasant smoke flavor if I'm using a deflector.

Hi I'm looking into better hooks.The Weber hooks were MPIA to get the ribs on, but once once they were on for good.
Thanks DanB

• Thanks
Reactions: ulc
Hi I'm looking into better hooks.The Weber hooks were MPIA to get the ribs on, but once once they were on for good.
Thanks DanB

Yeah those Weber fish hooks are not the best for hanging ribs. I really like the Pit Barrel Cooker hooks. I bought it separately when I first bought the Weber hanging rack and have been very happy with it. Very well made and easy to use and super easy to clean. I highly recommend the PBC hooks. And either buy the fish eye hook removal tool from PBC or build your own for less than $1. It makes adding or removing ribs from the smoker really easy so you don't get your hands dirty.

Hi All Heated up ribs the next day, they tasted better? Makes me wanna do the hanging again,this time with better hooks.
Thanks DanB

Back