• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Black eyed peas on New Years Day!!!I need a recipe??

B

BIGBrandon2785

Does anybody else have this superstition??

My GreatGrandma lives by this,apparently if you eat black eyed peas on New Years Day then you are guaranteed prosperity in the new year??Well im pretty sure it never worked for her??But,I have a whole Krechmeyer ham and im thinkin some good black eye peas sound good to go with it.

Does anybody have a good recipe for "Black Eyed Peas"???

For my Italian grandmother, and the rest of my family, it's always been lentils on New Year's Day. Some superstitions die hard. Still, we enjoy the tradition. :wink:

This is my favorite :clap:

New Year Peas
Ingredients:
2 Tbs Olive Oil
1 Clove Garlic Chopped Fine
1 Medium Onion Diced
1 Red Bell Pepper Diced
1 Can Blackeyed Peas Drained & Rinsed
Salt & Pepper to Taste
½ tsp red pepper flakes
Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1 Chipotle Pepper in Adobo Sauce Chopped Fine (optional)

Heat oil in skillet. Add onions and bell pepper. Cook until translucent. Add red pepper flakes, garlic, and chipotle pepper. Add blackeyed peas. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until peas are heated well. Serve hot with shredded white cheddar cheese on top.

Tradition at the Bludawg Rancho since before my time is Hop john

Hop John

Ingredients:

2 cups dried black-eyed peas
Cold water
1 pound lean slab bacon or 1 pound meaty ham hocks
1 large onion, chopped
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
4 cups water or chicken broth
2 cups uncooked long-grain white rice
Salt and black pepper to taste

Preparation:

Soak, rinse, and drain dried black-eyed peas. Place black-eyed peas in a large soup pot over medium-high heat and cover with cold water; bring to a boil. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 1 to 2 hours. Drain and rinse beans.

Using the same large soup pot, over medium-high heat, add soaked black-eyed peas, bacon or ham hock, onion, and red pepper. Add chicken broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the peas are tender (do not boil as the beans will burst).

Remove bacon or ham hock and cut into bite-size pieces. Return meat to pot. Stir in rice, cover, and cook 20 to 25 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.

The peas are for health,you must have cabbage or greens for the wealth,it is all in vain if not served with homemade buttermilk cornbread.The main protein should be pork.Ham,jowls,etc.cured or not,cured carries more street cred.:thumb:

The peas are for health,you must have cabbage or greens for the wealth,it is all in vain if not served with homemade buttermilk cornbread.The main protein should be pork.Ham,jowls,etc.cured or not,cured carries more street cred.:thumb:

And this is exactly what I have on the menu. Oh, and home smoked pork neckbones for the streed cred...

And this is exactly what I have on the menu. Oh, and home smoked pork neckbones for the streed cred...

Awe HECK YEAH! You My Boy Blue!!!!:thumb:Neckbone is the BOMB!!!!

Use Irregulars. I freezen them when I make them. Wanna know what irregulars are?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6u_owUBXxc"]Popdaddy's Mystery of Collards Revealed - Broadcast from the Funkotorium - YouTube[/ame]

about 6:40

For cornbread.... hmmmm

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-Y3XBsbwI8"]YouTube[/ame]

Now I wonder what Vinnie Thinks of ham and the broth it makes.

I wonder if I can get some cabbage and black eye peas and buttermilk corn breand up North! I could be in Jackson, MS in 12 hours I bet.

Last edited:
So, I tried making Bludawg's Hop John recipe, but I must have done something wrong. The peas were great, cooked down just short of mushing up absolutely the way I like them. However, the rice wasn't anywhere near done. I ended up adding two extra cups of water and boiling for ten minutes, then resting for ten more. That got it to nearly done and edible. I think next time I am going to cook the rice separately and stir it in when the peas are done. I ate a bowl full last night and will be rewarming the rest for lunch today with the family and the pork loin about to go in the oven (BAD weather, no cooking outside today). Any other ideas as to how I went wrong?

I would cook the rice separately. Then add the cooked rice to your satisfaction. Some like a lot of rice and some like a little.

Back