MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #31
ekamm
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Great ingenuity, my first smoker was an old charcoaler and a small water tank that were kinda shoved together. Yours is more an art piece and probably pretty light weight. Nice work.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:29 PM   #32
dealm9
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCoonis View Post
Mark, let me know if you're serious about building something similar to this, I would love to give you some pointers (so you can skip some of the trial and error that I went through). I also video taped the whole build from start to finish, as soon as I edit it all together I'll put it on YouTube and post the link.
Awesome thanks for the offer. I am looking to build a new smoker this summer. If I decide on trying to build something like this I would love your expertise. I will pm you when the time gets loser to when I have time to start planning and building

Old 04-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #33
NCoonis
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealm9 View Post
Awesome thanks for the offer. I am looking to build a new smoker this summer. If I decide on trying to build something like this I would love your expertise. I will pm you when the time gets loser to when I have time to start planning and building
Sounds great buddy. By the way, use the word "expertise" lightly, haha!! More like I can tell you everything I screwed up!

Old 04-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #34
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

La Mirada...that build most definitely has "The Look".

Please tell me the skin on this bird tasted as good as it looked?

That is one gorgeous chicken.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 01:43 PM   #35
NCoonis
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
La Mirada...that build most definitely has "The Look".

Please tell me the skin on this bird tasted as good as it looked?

That is one gorgeous chicken.
Thanks buddy, oh you know how good those chicks were!!! All we put on them was a little oil and salt (my wifes idea, of course I wanted to put all kinds of crap on them!) and we let the smoke do the rest. They were great!!

Old 04-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #36
funugy
Take a breath!

Great looking build. I love the idea. Maybe one day I might decide to take on a build like that.

How is the fuel consumption?
funugy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 02:40 PM   #37
Gulf Coast Blue
Got Wood.

Cool.....I want one.

Joel
Gulf Coast Blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 09:56 PM   #38
NCoonis
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funugy View Post
Great looking build. I love the idea. Maybe one day I might decide to take on a build like that.

How is the fuel consumption?
Well I burned a 15 pound bag of kingsford hickory charcoal in my basket using the minion method and a $20 bag of apple wood chunks that I random through in, and that lasted the 6 hours I cooked the brisket in. It was still hot when I was done, I'm sure it would have lasted a few more hours at least.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:58 PM   #39
NCoonis
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Coast Blue View Post
Cool.....I want one.

Joel
Well, make me an offer, haha! Just kidding, building them is half the fun right?

Old 04-04-2013, 08:14 AM   #40
Buried In Smoke
Knows what a fatty is.

Love the build! Seriously, awesome idea you came up with and put together there.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:11 PM   #41
Shagdog
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Great job! So glad I found this thread. I actually joined the forum just to see your pics. I've been drawing up plans for a smoker like this, but I couldn't find anyone else who had built one like it. I'd love to talk to you about the finer points sometime. I've got a rib throwdown coming up in a couple months, and I think it would be pretty cool to show up with this type of rig.
Shagdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #42
Tsevg9
On the road to being a farker

Nice looking rig. You can't beat home made!

Old 07-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #43
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Now that's my idea of a UDS!!! That baby will hold some meat with three Webber grates and it looks a little like a Bandera too, so there's probably a lot of jealous farkers on here right now!!!! Good Job!

Old 07-02-2013, 06:12 PM   #44
farklf
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice!
farklf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drum, offset build, uds, vertical offset, vertical smoker