Salmon Recipe?

F

Frisco_Smoker

Anyone have a favorite smoked salmon recipe? I'll just be doing one filet for the wife.

Jim Minion's Cardogs smoked salmon is very good. This is the dry cure technique I use.

7e88cf0e.jpg

This makes enough Dry Cure for about 10 pounds of fish:

1 cup kosher salt
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground white pepper
½ teaspoon pulverized bay leaf

On a cutting board, sprinkle a little of the salt onto the chopped garlic, and mash to a paste with the point of a knife. In a small bowl, combine the garlic mixture with the remaining salt, the sugar, ginger, pepper and bay leaf. Mix this very well. Extra can be stored in the freezer.

69c46ba8.jpg

Sprinkle about 1/8” or more of dry cure into the bottom of a glass baking dish (don’t use metal). Place the fillets, skin side up, on top of the dry cure. Cover with plastic wrap OR sprinkle rub onto a piece of plastic wrap, place fillets on top and seal with the seam on top. The wrapped fillets can be stacked. (I put them on a shallow tray just in case one leaks). Refrigerate about 8 hours. The moisture and oils in the fish will liquefy the dry cure and make a syrup which will cure the fish. After curing, rinse the fish very well under cold running water, rubbing gently to remove the syrup. Blot dry with paper towels and put on a racks to air dry until tacky, at least 2 hours OR put back into the refrigerator for about 6 hours. (Salmon should be seasoned before drying with black pepper, ground garlic or Montreal Steak Seasoning or whatever you like.

86302e69.jpg

For smoking, brush or spray a light coat of olive oil or Pam on the skin side of the fish and on your smoker rack. Place fish in smoker with the skin side on the rack and hot smoke at 170 – 200 degrees (grate temp) for 2 to 3 hours, using equal parts of alder wood and apple wood. Check once or so to make sure the skin is not sticking to the racks. (spray skin side with oil if it starts to stick) Switch to cherry wood and maple wood for 1 or 2 hours. This will give the salmon a nice red color. Smoke until fish just flakes (about 130° to 140° internal). These times are for thick fillets 3 to 4 lbs., adjust for thinner fillets or for trout. I have done it using skinless fillets, by laying the fish on pieces of oiled foil 1/2" larger than each fillet, and not turning.

For smaller fillets a water pan under the fish will prevent it from cooking too fast. Ice in the water pan works great also.

Serve hot or chilled. This will keep in the fridge for 4 or 5 days, but it very seldom lasts that long.

I agree with Thirdeyes recipe in fact I do something close to it with the curing but I did not rinse it off. I will have to try this recipe. Thank Thirdeye.

stan said:
I agree with Thirdeyes recipe in fact I do something close to it with the curing but I did not rinse it off. I will have to try this recipe. Thank Thirdeye.

Yeah, I appreciate the recipe too, I'll be using it on Saturday. The only meat she eats is fish/eggs so when I cook I've always got an extra layer of complexity to worry about.

I have one that's simple, also.
Check it out on my site.
SMOKE ON!!!!!!!
ed

I did couple of filets last Friday evening, smoked Saturday morning. I found a recipe in the Cookshack Forum. It was under the archives. Made the recipe and brined the fish for 6 hours. dried in frigerator over nite and smoked in a cookshack to an internal temp. of 140 degrees. Tasted great while warm. Refrigerated it overnite and it was awesome.

Mike

kickassbbq said:
I have one that's simple, also.
Check it out on my site.
SMOKE ON!!!!!!!
ed

Moderator Note - This site, and in particular the Q-Talk and Competition forum, is about sharing information. If it's too much trouble posting here, please refrain from sending someone elsewhere to find it.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the recipes....gonna try smoking some Silver Salmon from September trip to the Kenai

Have hot smoked salmon but don't have a rig for cold smoking, which is what I'd like to do someday. Have a great recipe for gravlox, which is a couple day cure in the refrigerator.

Grill salmon often. My favorite is recipe is simple. Sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper with a baste of Worcestershire. The key is the brand of Worcestershire...Wizards. Makes Lea & Perrins taste like gasoline.

1 cup Brown sugar
1 cup canning salt
2/3 cup white sugar
2 qts well water (no chlorine)

simple brine of 2 quarts of water to 1 cup of salt, 1 cup of brown sugar and 1/2 or 2/3 cup white sugar. To double or triple it stay with same ratio. I put it all in a crock and stir and let set a while, then stir before putting pieces in.
Then just experience kicks in. Cut pieces the size you want, but the larger the fish (and pieces) the longer it takes to brine. I often cut the bellies and sides off, esp. on larger kings, and when they are cut into pieces, they go into the brine an hr or so later than the big pieces. That way they don't get too salty.
I leave them in brine two or three hours, then drain and rinse with a sprayer. Pat dry with clothes or paper towels, put on racks & let get tacky by waiting and/or using a hair dryer over them. Once fairly dry/tacky they go onto smoke racks and into smoker.
Smoke them to desired moistness. Check by taking one out now and then and breaking it open to see if all the clear meat is gone.

Grill with simple seasoning then coarse chunk. Cool then Make salmon patties like you had made from the pink can of your youth.

Serve with Mac N Cheese and warm spinach salad- great with leftovers

As well you can make this dip/spread. Sandwich
Sour dough toast with chopped/chunked fresh grilled salad
Dip- any sturdy cracker chip etc

Back