• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Should I make the switch to a pellet smoker?

S

smokingbarrel

I've got a UDS that I love and use almost every weekend. I'm considering adding a pellet smoker to my collection (most likely a Trager Grill).

What does everyone think - is it worth considering? I've never used a pellet grill before and only know about them based on what I have read online.

Probably depends on how much smoke flavoring you like?

I'm happy with the amount of smoke flavor I get from my UDS but have to be careful because sometimes it can oversmoke if I add too much wood to the coals.

I like the idea of having an indirect heat smoker since right now the UDS is direct heat.

If it requires electricity to run it what do you do if the power goes out or the electrics get a Queer electron and Blow?? Not to mention being a slave to proprietary fuel:noidea: So what do you gain in this decision that you lack in the UDS?
Lets see:
UDS
Buy fuel most any where,
Pretty much set & forget,
No sensitive parts to fry. Works during a power outage,
Easily maintains temps,
Ability to cook direct or indirect( using a Diffuser)
Made in the USA.

Pellet Pooper
Requires electricity to operate
Fuel not readily available
Sensitive electronics ( Most likely assembled in China)
Pretty much set & forget

I thought Traegers have a fire box in the bottom offset to one side, if so seems to me you won't get the consistent heat range across your cooking surface.

We were at a tradeshow in Houston, TX last summer and there was a vendor there who was pushing pellet smokers. I stopped by his booth to just shoot the bull. Rather than just wanting to have a good conversation with another vendor (me) he went into his sales pitch about how pellet smokers are "the best thing out there" when it comes to bbq'n. He asked what type of smoker I had and when I told him a Stumps Baby he confidently said (pointing to his units) "This thing right here will bbq the doors off your unit I can promise you. Will put out a better product with more flavor." At that point I laughed so hard I had to excuse myself....

I've got both a Traeger and a UDS. The UDS rarely gets used anymore while the Traeger gets put to work 3-4 nights a week. It's really nice to be able to turn it on and off quickly. If I only want a 20-30 minute cook I can fire up the traeger and not have to worry about it coming up to temp, cooling back down, wasting fuel etc.

The quality of food which comes off of it is in line with what my UDS has put out and it has given me the ability to cook with smoke on a much more regular basis.

It's a great hybrid.. I work a lot, it's nice to be able to hit some burgers with a little smoke then crank the heat up and finish em off quickly. I still own a gas grill and a performer. It's a tool in the aresonel. I’ve never had better chicken thighs than I’ve had off my pellet pooper. J

I have a Treager and a Jambo. Both have their places and enjoy them both. The deal with the wife was to sell the Treager when I got the offset. I just couldn't do it. It is one of my children!

They don't suck as they have won in many comps.

Best advice I can give you is befriend someone who has one and do a cook with them. Taste the food, then you decide.

Back