MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:24 AM   #1
grillfella
is one Smokin' Farker

Default 1st try at vending

Well boys and girls, I finally did it I was asked to vend a car show and classic rock mini concert for the City Of Cerritos. I was a little hesitant at first but got some good advice from C Rocke (Thanks Chris) We did tri tip sandwiches, chips and lemonade. We had a 3hr window to sell, I was guaranteed 40 combos which I sold for $7 bucks each that the city paid for in advance for city officials to eat. We sold the sandwich alone for $5 Our only competition was senior citizens selling nachos, hot dogs, and candy. We got many compliments and sold everything out, the lemonade was the first thing to go and only went through 2 boxes of 50 ct chips. People were buying sandwiches on there way out after the concert for there lunch the next day. We were asked to come back at the end of the month for another one. I really enjoyed interacting with the crowd and the added exposure. Any advice for next time would be appreciated
grillfella is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2009, 01:22 AM   #2
Bushwacker
is one Smokin' Farker

Well Glad to hear that getting your feet wet and doing a good amount of business was a good thing. As long as you serve good food, you will get return customers on the next one. Years ago I worked for a traveling carnival in New England. The best advice I can give you is put out a good product and you will do good. And appearance makes a difference also. Keep it clean and neat. that helps a lot. and don't scrimp on your food. Good luck on your next one.
UDS (Under Construction)
Bushwacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 02:55 AM   #3
grillfella
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks bushwacker this next time i dont have 40 sandwiches paid for hope I estemate right for the next one
Old 08-09-2009, 08:57 AM   #4
MrsMista
Full Fledged Farker

Vending is definitely a lot of fun and it sounds like you had a great time. Estimating how much food to bring is especially difficult with BBQ. You can't just run out and buy some more meat and "throw it on" like you do with burgers and hot dogs. And you want to run out of food but not too early. And you never know which of your items will sell on which day.

WE have days where everyone wants ribs. The next day it might be pulled pork. THe next day brisket. You have to be prepared for runs like that on all of your meat and there is no way to guess which one it will be.

Damn. I didn't help at all. Hmmm...the best I can tell you is find out what kind of crowd they are expecting and aim to feed at least 10% of them unless you are the only vendor.

Hope that helps.
MrsMista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:58 AM   #5
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

Whoops! Posting in drag again...

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:04 AM   #6
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista View Post
Whoops! Posting in drag again...
Well... You are from California!

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:40 AM   #7
blues_n_cues
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMista View Post
Vending is definitely a lot of fun and it sounds like you had a great time. Estimating how much food to bring is especially difficult with BBQ. You can't just run out and buy some more meat and "throw it on" like you do with burgers and hot dogs. And you want to run out of food but not too early. And you never know which of your items will sell on which day.

WE have days where everyone wants ribs. The next day it might be pulled pork. THe next day brisket. You have to be prepared for runs like that on all of your meat and there is no way to guess which one it will be.

Damn. I didn't help at all. Hmmm...the best I can tell you is find out what kind of crowd they are expecting and aim to feed at least 10% of them unless you are the only vendor.

Hope that helps.

same w/ us...
i found that if something is going slow or not @ all i'll run a special for an hour. say a brisket plate (w/2 sides,pickle,onion slices,bread,& 16 oz. tea,lemonade, or bottled water)regularly $8.00 for $5.00.
or a sammie w/ fries for $3.50-regularly $5.00
Old 08-09-2009, 04:39 PM   #8
grillfella
is one Smokin' Farker

I was thinking of selling New Mexico chile beans. not sure how to price it though. Any suggestions Big Mista and Mrs mista
Old 08-09-2009, 08:22 PM   #9
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Well... You are from California!

You farker! Damn, if you ain't telling the truth though!