PBC vs WSM

Gonna be doing to "non-hanging" cooks this weekend on the PBC, and I am already anticipating they will be 2 of the best I have ever done (not to mention the easiest). Gonna grill chicken kabobs on day 1, and hot-smoke a meatloaf the next :)

Looking forward to Your report on the Grilling,I am anxious to see How it turns out !!There hasn't been much said on the grilling aspect of the Cooker.That is one reason I have yet to buy one !Maybe John could jump in and clue us in on the Grilling procedure !!

Grilling Procedure: Light coals, add supplied 17" grate, wait 20 minutes, grill (with the lid off).

John

Thanks John,I was not sure how low in the Barrel the grate sits,and whether that was a drawback or not...thanks for the input !! I believe I am gonna go ahead and Pull The trigger !! Thanks again for all the input You have given on the Pit Barrel Cooker....all made in the USA and a Veteran...that is a good Combination to me!!

Last edited by a moderator:
.. I get that the wsm guys will say wsm is the way to go and won't even think about a PBC. But do think about options, I remember when Apple wasn't cool to own.. Or even heaven forbid I own a luxury Hyundai:shock:

i own a wsm 22 (and wsm mini in process) and i'm gonna pull the trigger on a PBC today.

it is a similar but different cooker (especially if you use it as directed by the manufacturer).

dont think you could really go wrong either way..... and that is why i shall own both! :biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

I got my PBC in on Tuesday afternoon. I fired it up at the office today. I lit coals as instructed. I am cooking 4 chicken halves. The chicken has been on the pit for 1 hour 20 minutes. The pit temp right below the rebar in center of pit is 253. The internal chicken temp right now is 148. I would think the chicken will be done in about 15-20 more minutes. So far I couldn't be happier.

I got my PBC in on Tuesday afternoon. I fired it up at the office today. I lit coals as instructed. I am cooking 4 chicken halves. The chicken has been on the pit for 1 hour 20 minutes. The pit temp right below the rebar in center of pit is 253. The internal chicken temp right now is 148. I would think the chicken will be done in about 15-20 more minutes. So far I couldn't be happier.

thats great news... i just got done placing my order

pbc_zpsf43a3683.jpg

If I am spending my money, I would buy a WSM.

If I am looking to save money, I would build a UDS. Bigger version of a PBC.

Yup! I love that about it. It's usually ready by the time I get the meat ready.

John

The Weber Performer will beat a Pit Barrel Cooker for the after work cooks every day. Easier to start charcoal (w/ propane burner) and easier to clean out the ashes and a nice table to set my beers on.

I am not using lighter fluid to light my charcoal. I question any cooker which has instructions to use the nasty stuff.

How was lunch? Also how many peeps did you cook for?

My initial reaction to the PBS is that it is a small UDS that you could probably make yourself for fifty bucks or less, that retails for 329 bucks. I don't know how it is finished, but it doesn't look like porcelain enamel.

I got my first Weber kettle in 1995, and still have it and use it -- and it looks good, too. I expect to have my WSM until I'm in the ground, myself.

I'm sure you can cook good Q on either one.

CD

Back