MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:40 AM   #76
Kirk
Babbling Farker

Never seen a PBC before. One question comes to mind (which may have been discussed before but I'll ask anyway...) how do you deal with the direct heat of the fire, especially when doing ribs? I mean, the bottom of a hanging rack is right down there near the fire. It can't cook at the same rate as the top, correct? Do you have to take them out and swap ends once in a while or what?

Old 01-18-2013, 11:45 AM   #77
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
Never seen a PBC before. One question comes to mind (which may have been discussed before but I'll ask anyway...) how do you deal with the direct heat of the fire, especially when doing ribs? I mean, the bottom of a hanging rack is right down there near the fire. It can't cook at the same rate as the top, correct? Do you have to take them out and swap ends once in a while or what?
It has been discussed at length in other threads. My best advice is to watch and see.

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-18-2013, 12:07 PM   #78
Kirk
Babbling Farker

I saw that but I don't have any sound on the computer I'm on and I'm at work so I can't do an extensive search at the moment. After a look around, I saw you posted this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioDaddio View Post
... makes the meat cook very evenly with no
flipping or tending...
So you don't have to flip the racks end for end huh? I never would've thunk it.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #79
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Nope, no flipping.

John

Old 01-18-2013, 12:30 PM   #80
kds9547
is one Smokin' Farker

I don't have a PBC so really can't compare but I purchased a 22.5" WSM a few months back and could not be happier.
kds9547 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 12:37 PM   #81
lkissell
On the road to being a farker

I placed my order for a PBC yesterday and it has already shipped. Estimated arrival is 1/22, and that's with the free shipping option. So far I'm very happy with the customer service.

I'm looking forward to my first test cook next week!
Hunsaker Drum
lkissell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 12:42 PM   #82
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
You know someone is going to test this.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 01:01 PM   #83
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Here are two reviews stating the the meat closest to the fire gets more done and dry, even inedible according to one.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...&postcount=229

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...&postcount=233
A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #84
Kirk
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
You know someone is going to test this.
Honestly I can't imagine why the radiant heat wouldn't affect the meat closest to the fire, but I have never tried one of these cookers either so I have no direct experience to draw from. I can tell you exactly what the effects of direct line of sight from fire to meat are in a WSM without a water pan in it, and they are significant enough to have to compensate for (i.e. flipping or turning).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothsmoke View Post
Here are two reviews stating the the meat closest to the fire gets more done and dry, even inedible according to one.
In all fairness, the one that said they were partly inedible also said they were overcooked. Maybe it's different when a rack is in at the right time and temp to be done properly in the middle? IDK. Regardless, I'm having a hard time seeing how the radiant heat doesn't enter into it.

Edit: I've seen some "spirited" opinions and discussion on the merits of this cooker but I'd like to keep this cordial, factual and informative. Thanks in advance.

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-18-2013, 01:36 PM   #85
Boudreaux
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Where's the "Fall of the bone" achievement...

In all fairness, I feel compelled to add something here. To begin, the wife and I have a method (30 minutes on each side on high heat, on the grill, three hours wrapped in the oven at 375) that gives us "Juicy, fall of the bone" ribs.

As I watched the end of the video, I feel that I did not see "Fall of the bone, juicy ribs". As he was pulling the bones apart, things looked somewhat dry, and not nearly fall of the bone tenderness.

The wife and I viewed the end of the video over and over, and agree. "Fall off the bone" achievement in the barrel would result in the meat in the coals.

OR, is the "fall of the bone" achievement just a deep south thing.....

Old 01-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #86
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boudreaux View Post
OR, is the "fall of the bone" achievement just a deep south thing.....
I don't know, but it's definitely an "overcooked" thing.

John

Old 01-18-2013, 01:48 PM   #87
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Honestly I can't imagine why the radiant heat wouldn't affect the meat closest to the fire, but I have never tried one of these cookers either so I have no direct experience to draw from. I can tell you exactly what the effects of direct line of sight form fire to meat are in a WSM without a water pan in it, and they are significant enough to have to compensate for.

In all fairness, the one that said they were partly inedible also said they were overcooked. Maybe it's different when a rack is in at the right time and temp to be done properly in the middle? IDK. Regardless, I'm having a hard time seeing how the radiant heat doesn't enter into it.
I'm with you. I think the same way. The good thing is, with so many people from the forum buying and trying it, we should get lots more firsthand info on whether it's a factor or not or how much of a factor it is. Lots of other variables to consider like coal set up, when you put the lid on and what temp the coals are at that very point, but even then once those variables settle, you still have hotter temps closer to the basket. Does it come with a set of instructions for start up? Even in a regular UDS with multiple grates, you see higher temps and faster cooking times on the lower grate, not drastic but there is a difference. Closer to the coals and you'd almost be low temp grilling it would seem.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #88
Kirk
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boudreaux View Post
is the "fall of the bone" achievement just a deep south thing...
I think you will find that many on this forum define perfectly cooked ribs similar to how a trained comp judge would, and that is that a bite should come off the bone cleanly, with a slight tug. All the meat coming off with that one bite would indicate that the ribs were overdone. Not saying it's right or wrong, or that it means anything in your back yard, but that's the reaction you're going to get to the phrase "fall off the bone."

Old 01-18-2013, 02:03 PM   #89
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioDaddio View Post
I've got an 18" WSM on my back patio that I haven't touched since 2009. Do
you want to come get it?

John
Thanks for the offer but the 4000 miles round trip kind of kills the idea. I'm sure others closer would take you up on the offer.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:20 PM   #90
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
I think you will find that many on this forum define perfectly cooked ribs similar to how a trained comp judge would, and that is that a bite should come off the bone cleanly, with a slight tug. All the meat coming off with that one bite would indicate that the ribs were overdone. Not saying it's right or wrong, or that it means anything in your back yard, but that's the reaction you're going to get to the phrase "fall off the bone."

Yeah, I'm from Ms, and the only time I ever hear "fall of the bone" is during BBQ restaurant commercials. There's a local BBQ joint owned by a man named Shack. At the end of the commercial, a lady standing outside the place says "you don't need no teeth to eat Mr Shacks meat"!

Seriously though if my ribs are falling off the bone, I'm not happy! I'm chapped, because it means I wasn't paying attention and over cooked'em.