Pre-prep question

bmonkman

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I know you aren't allowed to inject your meats ahead of time and I assume that would apply to brining ahead as well. What I wonder though, is how much trimming are you permitted to do. And, do you have to keep the original packaging or can you put in your own?

Brian

You can trim as much as you like. I think some contests require at least the label from the original packaging, so you can cut out the label and place it into your own ziploc/vacuum bag or whatever.

I know you aren't allowed to inject your meats ahead of time and I assume that would apply to brining ahead as well. What I wonder though, is how much trimming are you permitted to do. And, do you have to keep the original packaging or can you put in your own?

Brian

I have never seen a comp require it and don't keep original packaging. Original package isn't going to do them any good anyways.

I have never seen a comp require it and don't keep original packaging. Original package isn't going to do them any good anyways.

I have. I believe they are wanting to make sure the meat was federally inspected. We keep enough of the label etc. to show it was.

Ive seen health departments that enforce it. They could care less about KCBS rules. They do have to let you know that ahead of time in my opinion.

I completely trim my chicken and ribs before leaving for a comp. Once trimmed I vacuum seal them. I do not keep original labels and have never been asked for them.

Plus one on chicken. I prefer to trim it in my house with good lighting. I usually put it back in the origional package and then put that in a zip lock. The few times I haven't nobody has questioned it.

I was asked to see my labels at the Smoke on the Water competition in Thomaston, GA, (FBA) and I didn't have them. They said I could be disqualified for not having them and advised that I keep them next time.

The OP is in KCBS territory and all of the advice given seems to be correct as I understand it.

As to FBA for those who venture down here (from the rules) :
"4. MEAT INSPECTION - All meats must be USDA or state DA inspected and passed. "

All this means is that we show proof of purchase from a commercial source or that the packaging shows a commercial source or USDA stamp.

I have bought ribs in case lot that were in wax paper sleaves so I vacusucked them and just kept the end part of the case--no problem.
A few years back, I pre-prepped Cornish Leg Quarters and did not keep any proof that they dd not come from my pens out back :redface:
Dodged the bullet on that one.

Really no big deal!!!

TIM

I have already trimmed enough chicken for 4 contests, vacume sealed them and put them in the freezer. If I showed them the lables from this chicken it would be way out of date come our first contest.

I recall seeing the packaging requirement for a KCBS contest in Colorado this year. I think it said that the health department would be inspecting them for all teams.

I recall seeing the packaging requirement for a KCBS contest in Colorado this year. I think it said that the health department would be inspecting them for all teams.

Unless the meat were to be sold, I'm not sure why the Health Department would need to see anything. In Iowa, they can require you to show proof of product when vending, but if you are giving it away, the HD does not mess with you.

Back