MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
huskerfan1200
On the road to being a farker

Default Organizing a 'Backyard BBQ Comp' - input welcomed

I am helping to setup a BBQ competition at my local watering hole for this coming June. Our hope is to keep it simple and have it be for local BBQers rather than be a sanctioned event.

I would really appreciate any input/thoughts on what we have come up with so far as well as some things we may have missed.

So far, we have this:
  • Location - in the back parking lot of the bar/grill. Working with neighboring businesses about shared parking spaces, access to doors. Plenty of space out back. How much space should each team be allowed?
  • Power - There are power boxes in the lot that we can access. I wonder how many teams would need power?
  • Health Department - we can contact them. Will they need to have an inspector present for the entire day? What will they be looking for? I know we'll need a washing station of some kind that includes hot water and soap.
  • "People's Choice" format - our thought here is to draw people to the competition and as a result to the bar/grill. We are thinking about selling score cards for $20 each. That card will allow you access to the BBQ area for an hour or two in order to sample one rib from each of the teams. Included with that access will be a free beer or two. You would give a score for each rib, turn in your card when finished and the winners are determined.
  • Ribs only - we are checking with their food supplier to see what prices can be had for untrimmed spares.
  • Time - in order to have the sampling time around the supper hour, I am thinking of
    • 7:00 a.m. Ribs available to hand out to teams and cooking can start.
    • 4:00 p.m. - Begin sampling/scoring
    • 5:30 p.m. - end sampling/scoring
    • 6:00 p.m. - Awards
  • Prizes - Some smaller cash prizes along with sweatshirts/gear from bar/grill
  • Entry Fee - $50??? I don't know if I'd go much more than that. Want to have a good number of teams.
I did a comp like this last summer and am working from that experience. The biggest thing for me was being able to cook 15 racks at one time and then to keep them warm for the 2 hour sampling time.

What else should be know/consider? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
huskerfan1200 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2012, 11:58 AM   #2
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

I've only been in one backyard comp, but here's my input (FWIW):

Power: Plan on every team needing power of some kind.

Space: I think the typical space is like 10'x30'. BY teams may not need that much? Maybe 10'x20'?

Cost: The one I was in charged $25. No idea if that's normal or not.

Health Dept: I don't recall even pro comps having health dept inspections. I'm real new to competing so I could be off my rocker, but? I was thinking you only needed HD if meat was being sold or supplied to the public. However, if you do a people's choice, then I guess.....never mind.

There will, no doubt, be others who are much more experienced offer different or better advice. These are just my thoughts as a participant in past event(s).

Old 02-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #3
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Prizes: Have the bar try to get imprinted promotional stuff from their vendors. There's a chili contest around here that's run by a bar and they have some great prizes from distributors and vendors. We won a nice cooler amongst other stuff.

Categories: If you can, try to have a secondary judged rib entry with designated judges and blind turn-ins. There are some negative connotations about people's choice just being a popularity contest. Bringing in some regular judges and having both a peoples choice and a judged contest might help with that.

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2012, 11:03 PM   #4
huskerfan1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoeric View Post
Prizes: Have the bar try to get imprinted promotional stuff from their vendors. There's a chili contest around here that's run by a bar and they have some great prizes from distributors and vendors. We won a nice cooler amongst other stuff.

Categories: If you can, try to have a secondary judged rib entry with designated judges and blind turn-ins. There are some negative connotations about people's choice just being a popularity contest. Bringing in some regular judges and having both a peoples choice and a judged contest might help with that.

Eric
Both great ideas! Thank you.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:56 AM   #5
Deep South
Full Fledged Farker

A second item, even if it's just BBQ sauce would really make for good competition.

A general washdown location with hot water will be needed.

I'd consider changing my initial turn in time closer to lunch time.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:08 AM   #6
bigsapper
Take a breath!

In re, People's Choice: It's a bummer when the organizer's girlfriend wins PC and its her first comp of any kind.

Also, make sure your judges for blind judging haven't already gone around and sampled everyones stuff via the PC method.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:29 PM   #7
TooSaucedToPork
is one Smokin' Farker

PM sent

Stumps OS223, Stumps GF223, Grilla Pellet Cooker, RectTec680, Traeger Tex, HM Offset Barrel, 18.5 and 22 inch WSM, UDS, Orion, 2 Weber Kettles...and a couple turkey fryers

"We're a drinking team...with a BBQ problem"

Want to join the team for Memphis in May?
[url]http://www.toosaucedtopork.com[/url]
TooSaucedToPork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2012, 12:36 PM   #8
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Advice? Announce it at least 6 years in advance.....
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2012, 03:01 PM   #9
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Promotional items from the bars suppliers are great prizes. They should be willing to participate, their products will be greatly consumed during the event.

Security-Make sure your local/municipal authorities don't require an off duty officer to be present. Make sure that the liqour license isn't jeopardized if a patron takes a drink and exits the bar to check out the contest.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2012, 04:02 PM   #10
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

I cooked one in Rochester once. What bar are you gonna do it at.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine

Last edited by WineMaster; 02-15-2012 at 04:26 PM..
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2012, 04:14 PM   #11
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Also, if ya want it to be just local rib burners, Hold it the first weekend of June as most pro teams will be in either Owatona or at the S.D. state championship.

YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine

Old 02-15-2012, 07:37 PM   #12
huskerfan1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineMaster View Post
I cooked one in Rochester once. What bar are you gonna do it at.
If it goes, it will be at Brother's Bar and Grill on S. Broadway.

We are hoping to be included in the week's events with Rochesterfest which is June 15th - 24th. We are still working on this.

I was thinking of this as being an 'amateur' event for our first go. You professional guys would knock the socks of us backyard Q'ers.

Thanks all for the advice. Good note on the law enforcment and liquor license.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:50 PM   #13
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

The only area of any size there is in the area over by snappy stop. If you set up ez ups in front where people on broadway would see them, it would block the thru traffic. If in back, you wouldnt get any people. Are you working with Rich on the event?

YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine

Old 02-15-2012, 08:11 PM   #14
huskerfan1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineMaster View Post
The only area of any size there is in the area over by snappy stop. If you set up ez ups in front where people on broadway would see them, it would block the thru traffic. If in back, you wouldnt get any people. Are you working with Rich on the event?
Working with Erin on this one. I assume you know Rich...if so, you know his enthusiasm and willingness to put towards something like this!

We were thinking of the lot just behind, between Brothers and the back door of the Salvation Army. This is where the power is. We don't foresee this being a huge event, but maybe I am not thinking like I should.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:24 PM   #15
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Are you set on Brothers, If not I would have other Ideas. Let me know if ya need any help.

YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine