MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:46 PM   #1
CrackerJack from KC
Full Fledged Farker

Default How to do from Brisket Point to Burnt Ends

What is the usual recipe to make burnt ends from the time you have a finished brisket.

Do most of you chop up the point. mix with sauce and throw in the oven at higher temps, or do you put it back on the smoker, just curious?
Traeger 070
Stoker
Worlds Fastest "Green" Thermapen

"Not a competition cook, just a guy who loves eating and cooking Q."
CrackerJack from KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2008, 05:56 PM   #2
Kevin Garceau
On the road to being a farker

heck...Im still trying to figure out exactly what are burnt ends ?
Kevin Garceau is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2008, 07:39 PM   #3
RichardF
is One Chatty Farker

There is no recipe.... I do mine like this - Cook brisket until flat is done. remove and separate flat from point. Depending on my energy level, sometimes sprinkle additional rub on point and put back in smoker at same temp as i did brisket for anywhere from 2 to 4 additional hours specific time doesn't really seem to matter. Take point off and cube with cleaver (it's more fun than using a knife) mix with sauce and serve

Live every week like it's shark week
RichardF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2008, 07:58 PM   #4
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardF View Post
There is no recipe.... I do mine like this - Cook brisket until flat is done. remove and separate flat from point. Depending on my energy level, sometimes sprinkle additional rub on point and put back in smoker at same temp as i did brisket for anywhere from 2 to 4 additional hours specific time doesn't really seem to matter. Take point off and cube with cleaver (it's more fun than using a knife) mix with sauce and serve
Heck, that's a recipe. But I can't resist adding a visual.

When I don't serve them dry (with a table sauce), I do a little reduction after cubing. Don't forget PBE's either, with cubed pork butt.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2008, 08:42 PM   #5
jestridge

Very nice looking I made the once my nephew went wild over them.
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2008, 09:28 PM   #6
bigabyte

I chop up the point, for some reason I prefer smaller pieces, like 1/2 inch cubes. Before chopping though, I trim all fat I can find. I like cooking them kinda dry, almost like jerky, so the fat has to go. After trimming and chopping, I put in a pan and hit it real good with some rub and smoke at 250 for 2 hours. Then hit it with more rub and smoke for another hour, then more rub and another hour on the smoke. After 4 hours on the cooker I check them to see if they are starting to dry out. If not, I hit them with more rub and back int he smoker for another hour. When they are done, they get another sprinkling of rub, then I let them cool and then bag and chill in the fridge. I like to snack on them like little jerky nuggets straight from the fridge. This is not your normal burnt ends recipe, but if you serve them warm with sauce, it will be standard burnt ends without the fat. For some reason, I am not too keen on fatty burnt ends anymore, not sure why.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2008, 10:58 PM   #7
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

i cube it up, add more rub and sauce then put them over a searing hot grill for a few minutes turning them and flipping them often with a a couple of spatulas.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2008, 08:01 AM   #8
Smokin Gator
Babbling Farker

I seperate the flat and point when the flat is done and throw the point back on the cooker for about an hour or so. Then I cube it, put it in an aluminum pan, sauce the cubes pretty heavily, cover with foil and put it back on the smoker for a couple of hours (or until I can't wait any longer!!!).

Medium Amazin' Blue Spicewine - It's a Swamp Thing
UDS
Large BGE - Adopted
Medium BGE - Adopted
Weber 22 inch w/mods
Weber SJP
Stoker
Weber Genesis Silver C Gasser
Constant wood lurker
FBA CBJ
Smokin Gator is offline   Reply With Quote