MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:08 AM   #1
grillfella
is one Smokin' Farker

Default good appetizer for a wedding

Hey boys I am catering a small wedding for 175 people. It only has some elements of actual grilling, I am doing lasagna green salad italian sausage and peppers on the grill, and some kind of appetizer, any suggestions ?
grillfella is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2008, 05:45 AM   #2
Diva
is one Smokin' Farker

In keeping with the Italian theme, bruschetta.
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:26 AM   #3
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

To stay with an Italian theme: Zucinni (and or yellow squash), onion, mushrooms sauteed with garlic. You can steam them in half pans and add butter or not later and keep it from getting mushy, great thing is that you do not have to cook the heck out of them because they can also be eaten raw. You might want to pass on the onions though. I normally make them using foil pouches. I also add finely diced potatoes if I want to bulk it up some. Then you have to increase the cooking time for sure.

Easy to do and everyone likes them too. Probably more of a side dish though.

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Brinkmann Model 6668 Gasser
Hibachi Grill
Stumps GF223 w/ Stoker assist
ECB that wins the $
Weber One-Touch Gold 22-1/2"
#3 Komono
Large BGE w/ Stoker assist
55 gallon Drum Smoker
Wood Crate Cold smoker w/ smoke injector
No need for certification, I already know good BBQ!

Last edited by tony76248; 11-04-2008 at 09:38 AM..
tony76248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:04 AM   #4
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

fresh mozzerella, soprasota(sp), good bread and a leaf of basil...mmmmmmmmm
1 Weber performer, 1 Smokey Joe Platinum
1 XL Big Green Egg
1 FEC 100
Team BBQ-Brethren.com
KCBS Certified Judge #9079
Yakfishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:17 AM   #5
Diva
is one Smokin' Farker

Antipasto tray....sopressetta, salami, prosciutto, various italian cheeses, olives, peppers served with crispy bread straws
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:22 AM   #6
Marsha
Full Fledged Farker

Grilled, prosciutto wrapped asparagus.

Smoked, flaked salmon with crackers.

Sausage skewers

Shrimp salad wonton cups

Grilled Bacon wrapped prawns - No photo, sorry!
One note on this appetizer is to half cook the bacon before wrapping it around the shrimp. Otherwise the shrimp will be overcooked by the time the bacon is done. Oh, and I soak both the cooked bacon and the shrimp in either teriyaki sauce or another marinade for a bit before wrapping. Makes it much easier to wrap, and tastes good too.

Last edited by Marsha; 11-04-2008 at 09:18 AM..
Marsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:37 AM   #7
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

Keep it simple is all I can say. One of the secrets to cooking for the masses is to provide simple straight forward food that isn't overcooked or undercooked and that can be prepared very easily also in a short amount of time. Sorry Marsha, as good as those sides looked, I would bet they were all time consuming to prep for 175 people. That said, if you prepared them all the time, the prep time will get easier.

So again, figure out something easy but good. My goal is always to have folks say things like "that was awesome", knowing that the dish was very easy to prepare.

I guess another thing to add into the equation is, how much refrigeration space do you have, how much money do you have to work with and what are your time constraints?

I would also go with the anti-pasta I guess. There has got to be something in there for everyone whether it be the cheese or the salami etc... Plus it is easy to make.

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Brinkmann Model 6668 Gasser
Hibachi Grill
Stumps GF223 w/ Stoker assist
ECB that wins the $
Weber One-Touch Gold 22-1/2"
#3 Komono
Large BGE w/ Stoker assist
55 gallon Drum Smoker
Wood Crate Cold smoker w/ smoke injector
No need for certification, I already know good BBQ!
tony76248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:01 AM   #8
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony76248 View Post
Keep it simple is all I can say. One of the secrets to cooking for the masses is to provide simple straight forward food that isn't overcooked or undercooked and that can be prepared very easily also in a short amount of time. Sorry Marsha, as good as those sides looked, I would bet they were all time consuming to prep for 175 people. That said, if you prepared them all the time, the prep time will get easier.

So again, figure out something easy but good. My goal is always to have folks say things like "that was awesome", knowing that the dish was very easy to prepare.

I guess another thing to add into the equation is, how much refrigeration space do you have, how much money do you have to work with and what are your time constraints?

I would also go with the anti-pasta I guess. There has got to be something in there for everyone whether it be the cheese or the salami etc... Plus it is easy to make.

Good points, but it can be done! Say for instance you contract out what Marsha has presented for $9 bucks per. 9 x 175 = $1575; so for chits and giggles we say ingrediants comes to 1/3 = $525; hire several folks to conduct the the labor at $525, this will leave $525. Additionally, your profit margin should be even higher because, you will not be paying that much for labor.

Or simply contract out the appetizers and charge the client 2x to 3x your cost.

YMMV