MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

View Poll Results: Do you like it fatty...or not so much?
I trim the hard fat and let the rest ride. It's delicious! 75 65.22%
I trim as much as I can. I eat meat not fat! 15 13.04%
Depends who I'm cooking for if I trim heavy or not, but I prefer it fatty. 20 17.39%
Depends on who I'm cooking for if I trim or not, but I prefer it well trimmed and not very fatty. 12 10.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-03-2015, 01:43 PM   #1
lantern
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Let's talk about FAT. And vote on it.

I love fat and when I look around it seems that folks say they like it too. However, when I see a lot of cooks from my Brethren it seems that they trim away MUCH MUCH more fat than I do. I understand when serving the public there's a reason for eliminating the delicious fat and the same applies for competition meats.

I've always been a lover of the fattiest of things. From the chunks on my prime rib to the amazing thick fat ring on a fried pork chop to fatty bacon to fat cap on my pork butt to pork belly to brisket. Speaking of which the brisket point is my favorite because it has piles of fat.

Sooo.... Am I some sort of freak? Or are there more folks that think the same as me? I understand the "texture" remark from folks, but my desire for massive flavor usually overrides and problems I have with texture.

Vote however ye wish. I left it so you could have more than one answer. Do ya let the fat render till it's something sublime or do ya think there's enough inter-muscular fat to flavor about anything so you trim it till your heart's content? I was just in a curious mood today.

Thanks from:--->

Old 08-03-2015, 02:00 PM   #2
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

Boy oh boy that's difficult. It really depends on the meat. I did trim the cap off the last butts so I could get more bark.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-03-2015, 02:02 PM   #3
aawa
Babbling Farker

I trim the hard fat as it doesn't render out properly, but I keep the other fat as it produces a lot of flavor as well as helps keep things moist.

Now when pulling/slicing I will take the big globs of fat off as some people think it is unappealing. My gf doesn't like the fat on the bottom of the brisket point slices. She slices it off. I of course love fat and eat it off her plate.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:21 PM   #4
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

I love fat on a steak, prime rib or a pork chop especially when it's got a good sear on it but on larger cuts that I want to get a good bark on I trim it pretty vigorously. On a brisket for instance too much fat can result in a barrier between the meat and the rub and smoke whereas by trimming it down to 1/4 to 1/8 of an inch it will render down, marry up with the spice rub and become an important part of the bark,... THE MOST important part IMO!
Ahhh,... that sticky, crunchy, smokey and spicy layer of goodness!

Old 08-03-2015, 02:22 PM   #5
DaveAlvarado
is One Chatty Farker

I prefer not to eat too much fat, but I leave it on for cooking.
DaveAlvarado is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2015, 02:23 PM   #6
PekingPorker
is one Smokin' Farker

I trim off the stuff that I know won't render.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:42 PM   #7
Brew n Que
On the road to being a farker

You need an option for the middle ground. I trim off the hard stuff, then take everything else down to 1/4". This allows for great rendering. If I do it right, there is just the slightest band of very well rendered fat left on my brisket slices. It is not enough of a band for the fat averse to cut off, and it is substantial enough to flavor and moisten each bite of brisket. I also think the bark that forms on top of a layer of fat is a lot better than the bark that forms on the meat itself (for brisket at least.)
Brew n Que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2015, 03:08 PM   #8
deguerre

I don't trim the fat at all. Silver skin, I'll get rid of. But the fat stays.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2015, 03:10 PM   #9
PatAttack

Fat = Flavor!

Fat...is where it's at.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:21 PM   #10
qman
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
I don't trim the fat at all. Silver skin, I'll get rid of. But the fat stays.
This, exactly.

Old 08-03-2015, 04:04 PM   #11
jakel
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatAttack View Post
Fat = Flavor!

Fat...is where it's at.
Quote:
Originally Posted by qman View Post
This, exactly.
absolutely, positively, without question true

Cheers,
John

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." R.Reagan
jakel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2015, 04:13 PM   #12
cheeaa
Full Fledged Farker

for me, two of the best bites in the world is slightly charred pork fat on pork steaks and that one bite nub on the end of a of a ribeye that's like half charred fat, half meat.... So, yeah give me fat...

Old 08-03-2015, 04:20 PM   #13
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

Most of the time, I don't even trim the hard fat. I can throw away what doesn't render at the end.

Old 08-03-2015, 05:33 PM   #14
Seed
On the road to being a farker

always trim the hard stuff
Seed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2015, 05:56 PM   #15
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbill View Post
On a brisket for instance too much fat can result in a barrier between the meat and the rub and smoke whereas by trimming it down to 1/4 to 1/8 of an inch it will render down, marry up with the spice rub and become an important part of the bark,... THE MOST important part IMO!
Ahhh,... that sticky, crunchy, smokey and spicy layer of goodness!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew n Que View Post
You need an option for the middle ground. I trim off the hard stuff, then take everything else down to 1/4". This allows for great rendering. If I do it right, there is just the slightest band of very well rendered fat left on my brisket slices. It is not enough of a band for the fat averse to cut off, and it is substantial enough to flavor and moisten each bite of brisket. I also think the bark that forms on top of a layer of fat is a lot better than the bark that forms on the meat itself (for brisket at least.)
This is what I aim for on my briskets. Just enough to protect and flavor the meat but not so much that it gets in the way or has to be cut off. According to the voting over 70% of us are some fat farkers. ...I meant fat loving farkers.

The 2020 Texas BBQ Brethren Spring Bash Planning Post! (Link)
The 2020 Texas BBQ Brethren Spring Bash Sign up sheet (Link)
pjtexas1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
brisket, fat rendering, fat trimming, poll, pork