MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:35 AM   #1
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Default SPOG Pork Sirloin Roast and Tri Tip PRON!

So the local Albertson's was selling Pork Sirloin Roast at 88 cents a pound, so I bought one.

Then I see that the new Throwdown is SPOG http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=221769 , so I say to myself, "Kill two birds with one stone".

I'm running low on SPOG, so I have to make some more:

Then I got an idea: Inject one of the roasts with Huli Huli sauce!

Note: This was my first time injecting, and it turned out about as well as
you thought it would from a flavor profile. I'm going to have to read up Z-tracking if I want to do this again.

Anyway, I rubbed both pieces and put them to bed for the night.

Woke in the morning, and was in a wasteful mood, so I fired up "Old Leaky" (A Charbroil Charcoal Grill I hacked into an offset smoker) with two chimneys of KBB and three Peach chunks.

Put my iGrill probes in them and stuck them inside while I went for my morning walk.

Missed the pic...sorry....

Lo and behold, the grocery store and the end of my first leg has Tri-Tip for 3.99 a pound, so I lugged one back home.

Still had SPOG left....

Tossed it in with the Roasts.

Old Leaky's temp gauge is not reliable, and apparently neither were the iGrills OR my British Racing Green Thermapen.

I pulled the roasts at 145, and let them rest inside.

They would need about an hour more in the smoke.

Meanwhile, the Thermapen said the Tri-Tip was at (gasp) 140!!!! I went for a quick sear, and pulled it off to let it rest for a few...

Sliced the end.....not bad.....

Medium Lens Money Shot

Sliced the pork roasts and.....

Wonderful flavor of SPOG and smoke.

Thanks from: --->

Old 12-14-2015, 08:39 AM   #2
mattmountz94
Babbling Farker

looks good. Do you do equal parts of the SPOG?
mattmountz94 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2015, 08:42 AM   #3
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Yes, but by weight. If you do it by volume, you get (in my opinion) too much pepper flavor.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-14-2015, 10:48 AM   #4
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Looks excellent John! Well done Sir!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Tags
beef, pork, pork sirloin roast, pron, Tri Tip