APL's Short Ribs with Fleur De Sel

R2Egg2Q

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
After searching for a plate of short ribs for a while, I finally located some at the local Restaurant Depot. Granted I had to buy 4 plates weighing a total of 18 lbs (the chopstick is just to give perspective on size - it's 10" long):

I decided to try Adam Perry Lang's recipe for Short Ribs with Fleur De Sel: http://abc.go.com/shows/jimmy-kimmel-live/news/recipes/adam-perry-lang-short-ribs

The ribs start with applying a mustard based moisturizer:

The ribs went outside to meet up with the Large Egg which had been stabilized at 250 with some red oak for smoke wood (a light brush of canola oil was applied before they went it):

Five hours later then were wrapped in foil with the wrapping mixture and back on the Egg for an hour:

The final 45 minutes on the Egg were unwrapped:

The final stage includes using this Fleur De Sel (I think is French for "Ha Ha you paid $15 for half a pound of sea salt") as part of the board dressing:

The recipe calls for slicing the rib meat perpendicular to the bone and dredging the slices on the board dressing:

This was definitely different way of cooking beef ribs for me as I normally cook beef back ribs with simple rubs and simply just cooking them until indirect until tender. The end result on these short ribs was incredibly moist & tender beef but perhaps a little salty for our tastes. I will do this again (I have two more plates) but will cut back a little on the seasoning.

Thanks for looking!

John they look delicious! I made this recipe not long ago and loved the flavor. Instead of cutting the ribs in the finishing salt/parsley, I made a parsley salad with the ingredients and served the sliced ribs on a toast round then topped with the parsley mix. I probably didn't use as much salt as the recipe said but they came out tasty. Will do them again too.

Yours look fantastic!!

Fabulous John!

But don't tell me you couldn't tell why the French claim that as the finest salt in the world?:wink:

:laugh:

John they look delicious! I made this recipe not long ago and loved the flavor. Instead of cutting the ribs in the finishing salt/parsley, I made a parsley salad with the ingredients and served the sliced ribs on a toast round then topped with the parsley mix. I probably didn't use as much salt as the recipe said but they came out tasty. Will do them again too.

Yours look fantastic!!

Thanks Jeanie! I remember your post with the rib bones aiming in opposite directions. Your post and a post by cazzy inspired me to find the ribs!

Fabulous John!

But don't tell me you couldn't tell why the French claim that as the finest salt in the world?:wink:

:laugh:

Oui! Apparently my taste buds aren't quite refined enough for fine French salt Buccs! :laugh:

Dang fine cook and those are some really awesome ribs and the flavors APL adds sure do make for a fine dining experience

Those short ribs look fantastic. I am a big fan of this recipe and have prepared it multiple times with great success.

I will suggest that you try it the way APL served it at his pop up restaurant in L.A. Texas Toast, short ribs, spicy pickle, slices of raw sweet onions, and his bbq sauce lightly drizzled on. That combination is perfectly balanced with the way the meat is handled. I absolutely loved it and keep this dish in my arsenal. GTR and Silverfinger will probabl attest to this as they actually ate at APLs popup restaurant.

Those look amazing! :shocked: I've done that recipe and really enjoyed it. After making a few APL recipes, I'm finding that I need to be a little judicious in the application of the seasoning, especially the salt, rather than just doing exactly as the recipe says without thinking about (I'm very good at not thinking about things). I've noticed in a few dishes that the salt can be a little heavy.

I GOTTA do these soon, you guys are killing me! Shorties are probably my favorite Q, but I haven't gone to these lengths on them before. Yours sure look fantastic!

Back