MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:22 PM   #1
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Default St. Louis cut spares w/ Corky's and Montreal Steak Seasoning

Just dropped two nice sized spares onto the UDS for dinner later on. Trying something new, can't say that I've seen anyone use it here, but maybe I'm not paying close enough attention. I'm trying Montreal Steak Seasoning as my dry rub for one of the racks of spares. The spices and large grains make sense to me. I'm hoping the flavor does not overpower the ribs. Only time will tell, might as well experiment on my In-Laws!

The other rack is a bit more traditional with Corky's dry rub. Plan is to use the UDS version of 3-2-1 (times are subject to change on a drum). Will foil in Adam Perry Lang's Honey/Brown Sugar/Apple juice mixture at the proper time. Got lazy and didn't make sauce so they will get a final kiss of regular Sweet Baby Ray's for the last 20 minutes or so after the foil. Pics to come.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:38 PM   #2
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

I've tasted ribs with steak seasoning like that.
It tasted great but you might watch the salt in there.

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-06-2011, 01:40 PM   #3
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Pics...by the way, anything I can do about excess condensation in a UDS during the cold weather months??? Probably a question for another thread. More pics later.

Last edited by 42BBQ; 01-20-2011 at 03:55 AM..
42BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2011, 01:40 PM   #4
High Q
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm looking forward to seeing the results. Keep us posted.
"Houston is a wretched little town composed of about twenty shops, and a hundred huts, dispersed here and there, among trunks of felled trees. It is infested with methodists and ants." -Emmanuel Domenech, Catholic Missionary, 1848
High Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2011, 01:41 PM   #5
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phubar View Post
I've tasted ribs with steak seasoning like that.
It tasted great but you might watch the salt in there.
thanks Phubar, I tried to go light with the Montreal for that reason. We'll see how they turn out.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:56 PM   #6
landarc

So, some condensation is acceptable and you want to cut down on the excess only?

You could store it upside down with the lid off, this will allow it to drain. You could put a small fan into it to blow it dry.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2011, 02:10 PM   #7
zwylde1
Take a breath!

Hey 42...I will be on my way though Manheim on route 72 about 5:30. Will they be ready then??
zwylde1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2011, 02:13 PM   #8
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwylde1 View Post
Hey 42...I will be on my way though Manheim on route 72 about 5:30. Will they be ready then??
LOL, shooting for 6:00 dinner so they'll be close, well on their way right now...

Old 01-06-2011, 02:14 PM   #9
Phubar

BTW...I would scrape that loose paint off the lid to prevent it from slipping into the air vent while the wind is blowing.

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2011, 02:21 PM   #10
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phubar View Post
BTW...I would scrape that loose paint off the lid to prevent it from slipping into the air vent while the wind is blowing.
Thanks!, dang didn't even think about that happening. Thankfully a quick fix. Good looking out Phu

Old 01-06-2011, 02:46 PM   #11
hdis2002
Knows what a fatty is.

If you have some old charcoal, leave it in the basket of your drum when not in use. It will absorb excess moisture.
hdis2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2011, 03:57 PM   #12
chambersuac

looks like you're off to a good start. Let us know how it turns out.

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2011, 04:05 PM   #13
bigabyte

Looks like a good start!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2011, 07:25 PM   #14
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Ok Gents, finished product. They turned out really good, all in attendance loved them. I personally liked the rack rubbed with Corky's memphis style rub a little better than the rack that had the Montreal Steak Seasoning. Both had really good flavor and I like the large grains of the Montreal seasoning but in the end the classic flavor of a memphis style rub really worked well with the spares. Next time I may do a little minor dusting with cayenne to liven it up. But I had to play to my audience for this one .

I started with over 10 lbs on two racks so I had a lot of rib trimmings to feed the youngins. Everybody was full and happy. Things I learned, next time get a little more aggressive with the fat on the thick end. The best ribs were just shy of the middle section. And maybe go a little longer and aim for temps a little lower. Last two hours they were running at around 265* give or take.

Also realized I had no AJ to spray with during the cook. The wrap mixture of honey/brown sugar/AJ was modded with cherry pepsi instead of the AJ with no observable difference in flavor. Sweet Baby Ray's is a good finisher too if you don't take time to make your own sauce. All in all good, see last pic as evidence . Thanks for looking.

Last edited by 42BBQ; 01-20-2011 at 03:55 AM..
42BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2011, 07:45 PM   #15
btcg
Babbling Farker

Yum! But chocolate beer???