Cooking First Butt Tomorrow (Pics & Questions)

93_confirmed

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I have a 4 1/2lb boneless butt that I will be smoking on my Weber Performer. So far, I trimmed it, dried it, oiled it, dry rubbed it, foiled it, and refrigerated it. :grin:

The plan is to do a charcoal snake (with Stubb's and apple wood chips) and do the entire cook on the Kettle. The butt will sit (unfoiled) on the indirect side and I'm going to use two thick sheets of foil between the snake and butt to deflect the heat. I'm thinking it will take 6-8 hours if I stick to the 225-250 range. I have read a TON of articles, forum posts, etc. about the subject and although I feel pretty confident I do have a couple of concerns that I'd like to get advice on.

1) Temperature - I'm still learning the nuances of my kettle and haven't quite figured out how to control the temp consistently. I'm thinking that I'll heat 10 briquettes and use those to start the snake. From there, I'd close the intake and exhaust 50% each and more if the temp gets too high. Does this make sense or am I mistaken? Any suggestion for keeping the temp low if it starts rising?

2) The snake seems pretty straightforward except I'm not sure how many rows of briquettes I should be using. From what I read, I can get this done with two bottom rows and one top row with the chips piled on top. The snake would go halfway around the bowl. Thoughts?

3) I plan on using a water pan on the cooking grate above the snake and a drip pan underneath the butt. Is that okay to do?

Thanks!

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 67
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 66
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 67
Which vents does your kettle have ? Daisey wheel or the long slots n blades? On mine with blade system I can run 300*ish pretty steady with them open 1/4" and aluminum foil covering the charcoal grate to direct air thru my charcoal sand exhaust full open but I don't use snake method - I do homemade Smokenator. I do have to add charcoal every 3-4 hrs but its easy.

http://www.smokenator.com

I have the three blades. In the few cooks I've done so far, I've had some trouble keeping the temps from moving past 300. It's a brand new Performer and I have heard that the kettle needs to gunk up a bit so there's a better seal on that intake damper.

I would have the exhaust open all the way. use the intake to adjust temp.

One other question, fat side up or down?

I do fat cap down, since that's the side that gets kinda trashed from sitting on the grate, plus that way there is more meat exposed for bark. When I wrap and rest, I rest with the fat cap up.

If you are going to wrap this at some point during your cook and you are going to shred, pull or chunk it before it is served, then I don't think it matters much whether you cook fat up or down.

I feel very confident using snake method in my 26 OTG.
This was my initial set up

11873251314_75ae351812_c.jpg
[/url]

11873208514_836a9036a3_c.jpg
[/url]

Now I moved to this set up

12317688925_d634f5eecd_c.jpg
[/url]

12317821073_5feb6bbb75_c.jpg
[/url]

They both assure up to 18 h of smoking at 225 F ish with a very steady T. The number of briqs in the row depends on meteo and meat quantity and water too. Do some tries.

i have a 4 1/2lb boneless butt that i will be smoking on my weber performer. So far, i trimmed it, dried it, oiled it, dry rubbed it, foiled it, and refrigerated it. :grin:

The plan is to do a charcoal snake (with stubb's and apple wood chips) and do the entire cook on the kettle. The butt will sit (unfoiled) on the indirect side and i'm going to use two thick sheets of foil between the snake and butt to deflect the heat. I'm thinking it will take 6-8 hours if i stick to the 225-250 range. I have read a ton of articles, forum posts, etc. About the subject and although i feel pretty confident i do have a couple of concerns that i'd like to get advice on.

1) temperature - i'm still learning the nuances of my kettle and haven't quite figured out how to control the temp consistently. I'm thinking that i'll heat 10 briquettes and use those to start the snake. From there, i'd close the intake and exhaust 50% each and more if the temp gets too high. Does this make sense or am i mistaken? Any suggestion for keeping the temp low if it starts rising?

2) the snake seems pretty straightforward except i'm not sure how many rows of briquettes i should be using. From what i read, i can get this done with two bottom rows and one top row with the chips piled on top. The snake would go halfway around the bowl. Thoughts?

3) i plan on using a water pan on the cooking grate above the snake and a drip pan underneath the butt. Is that okay to do?

Thanks!

1. I think that 10 briquettes may leave you waiting and wishing you added more. Start with 24 or so fully lit or, better still 1/2 chimney of fully lit lump. You will get to cooking temp much faster and decrease your anxiety and frustration levels. Leave intake and exhaust vents wide open until you hit your desired cooking temp, the use the intake to control it. Leave the exhaust vent open. If you have the bottom fully closed and are still too hot you can shut the top until the temps fall back toward your target temp.
2. I am not as meticulous as some when building my ring, I usually just pile about 1/2 bag of Stubbs around the foil drip pan and bury 6-8 thumb sized chunks of wood in it. YMMV.
3. I put about an inch of hot water in the foil pan that I use for a drip pan under the meat. IMHO this is all you need.

Good luck

Back