TALKIN' TURKEY!! (The official/unofficial turkey thread)

Im thinking of dry brining a turkey. My question is once it has been brined for a couple of days then rinsed and allowed to dry in the fridge, do I put a normal amount of rub on/under the skin? go light on the rub? Or reduce the salt in the rub recipe?

I've not dry brined before, but I've always wanted to try it.

Here's a thread with a link to an article about dry brining that brother leanza put up a few years ago. In this thread seasoning is discussed. They actually suggest just putting herbs or rub WITH the salt during the dry brine process:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97467

Here are my thoughts about "injecting" vs Brining. Obviously, since I wrote the book on brining about 15 years ago (OMG, really that long?) I like the brine. Link to Brining and Turkey 101 are in my signature.

My issue with injections is one of science. Well actually viscosity. think injections tend to just sit in the one spot. Depending on the injection and length of time, all you will do is flavor the spot of the injection. With a LOT of practice you can spread it out somewhat, but you will have a bunch of track marks in the bird.

I'm a big fan of "go ahead an try it". We settled on brining vs injecting years ago in a side by side taste test. And SO many of the commercial injections are water and salt, that you can get some of the benefits of brining, but like brining, let them sit 12 to 24 hours (or more) for the injection to have time to spread

That's pretty much what I was saying above(below), but you worded it much better I think. :thumb:

Oh there's different schools of thought on that. Some suggest that injecting INSTEAD of brining is the way to go. A lot of flavor can be added with an injection for sure. Personally, I think that since brining acts on a cellular level, you can get a more complete, evenly distributed flavor with a brine vs injection where you have different "pockets" of injection in and among the meat fibers. I think that once both are cooked, one would be hard pressed to really tell a difference though.

On a 22.5" kettle, is having the coals on two sides with the bird in the middle the way most do it? Or is banking coals all on one side ok as well?

On a 22.5" kettle, is having the coals on two sides with the bird in the middle the way most do it? Or is banking coals all on one side ok as well?

I've done it both ways. If the turkey's not too big (wide), I prefer to have coals on each side of the turkey so I get more even heat on the bird. If the coals are a little too close for comfort, you can bank them on one side, but when I've done this I've had to make sure the watch the color and rotate the bird to keep even browning of the skin at the thighs. Again, depending on the size of your bird, it will only push over to one side so much before the lid will hit it. This is why I like leaving the bird in the center and make the coals fit around it.

One thing I've done to help guard against the heat is to use a couple of strategically placed bricks stacked up as close to the cooking grate as possible and then bank coals on the outside of that. This will prevent as much direct heat from the coals to the thighs. The bricks act as diffusers and are a great way to keep the coals pushed against the outside wall of the kettle and prevent the pile from "creeping" toward the center.

A drip pan is another way you can do this, but I find that if I can put a paver brick or something on the outside of the drip pan and then the coals go outside of the brick(s)/paver(s). A foil pan alone will help, but it doesn't deflect the heat as much I don't think.

The great thing about cooking on a kettle is that you don't need a LOT of lit coals to get the temp of the cooker up. I prefer using a "divided minion method" where I'll fill up the sides with unlit coals (and some smoke wood chunk) and then just put about 3-5 lit coals on each pile. Then regulate the cooker temps using the vents. It won't take a lot of coals to get the temps up to 300+ (if that's what you're going for) and this method will also prevent you from having to add lit coals to keep your temps up.

I cook around 14-16 lb turkeys, and have always banked only on one side for the reasons Wampus stated above - a little to close for comfort if I have coals on both sides. I just rotate the bird about 1/2 way through to evenly brown both sides. I also go with a pan under the turkey on the opposite side of the coals. Rather than the minion method, I go with about 20 lit coals on the one side to keep the grate temp to around 350F.

I always divide the coals and place a little foil ball at each thigh, prevents over browning as well as keeps the bird stable.

Honestly I'd rather not do it with the coals banked to one side, I'd prefer the bird to be in the middle with a pan underneath with stuff in it to catch the drippings to make gravy. But I'm not sure if a pan will fit there with 2 bricks on each side. I know, I sure picked a crappy day to decide on smoking a turkey, but I just got the 22.5" kettle couple weeks ago and haven't had time to do a test run, so I'm scrambling to find as much info as possible.

Honestly I'd rather not do it with the coals banked to one side, I'd prefer the bird to be in the middle with a pan underneath with stuff in it to catch the drippings to make gravy. But I'm not sure if a pan will fit there with 2 bricks on each side. I know, I sure picked a crappy day to decide on smoking a turkey, but I just got the 22.5" kettle couple weeks ago and haven't had time to do a test run, so I'm scrambling to find as much info as possible.

Don't sweat it. Go with the divided method, there are less variables to work with using this method. Also, go out and dry fit the setup you're going to use and take some measurements, then go get an aluminum pan that best fits the space you'll have. If its too big, squish it down a little, a little small, no big deal.

On the day, give yourself plenty of time, these big birds can stand a real long rest without getting cold so even if it's done an hour early there's no big deal.

Try not to overthink it too much. Put the thing on the grill, stick a thermometer in it and walk away. If it starts getting too dark around the thighs, throw some foil down, if the temp isn't coming up quick enough, toss a few extra coals on. And if you just can't get it to work, you can always pull it off the grill and drop it in the oven.

Thanks MS2B! I'm actually thinking of setting it up pretty similar to how you have it posted in your pics on page 7 of this thread. I appreciate all the help.

What is the ideal size for smoking a bird? And when is it too big for outdoor smoking? What's to big?

14lb butterball
24hr brine (basic salt-sugar, threw a bunch of garlic powder in with it)
spatchcocked, removed the leg quarters (only holding on my skin anyways)
Injected half with Tony Cacheres Cajun Butter
Injected other half with clarified butter
When it got close to done (130ish in breast), I threw into a foiled pan with 1/2lb butter chunks on top and covered with foil.

Clarified butter side was near perfect. Cajun butter side was overly salty with a fake cajun flavor going on.

shot for 300+ top rack
null_zps44c50eb1.jpg

I have been smoking turkey for 35 some odd years.
I will smack down anyone with a 1 day brine and low and slow turkey. (225 not 300).
Heck, I could do a roasted turkey in the oven at 325!!!
Smoking is a slow and smoke flavored process.
If you want to put a turkey in a foil pan, cover it with foil and "smoke" it at 300 deg, he'll put it in the oven and save your wood!!
Love you all!:clap2:
Do you get crispy skin? If so, what is your technique for doing so at such low n slow temps?

Thanks

Here's my dilemma. We're doing T-Day at my parent's house (not far away, about 20 minutes). My plan was to smoke a 20 lb turkey on my UDS on Wednesday (off that day) and then re-heat it on Thursday. I used this method for a couple of chickens over Labor Day, but after reading the quick cook times (I figure 4 hours or so at 325-350) I may just get up early Thursday and cook it in the morning. My fear is that I'll put it on around 6 or 7 am and it will cook slower than expected and we'll be late getting to mom and dad's house.

I've smoked a turkey before, but we had everyone come over to our place, so the cook time didn't have to be so precise.

Has anybody out there re-heated a turkey the day after smoking it? When we re-heated the chickens, we just added a little water to the pan and cooked for about an hour at 250.

Has anybody out there re-heated a turkey the day after smoking it? When we re-heated the chickens, we just added a little water to the pan and cooked for about an hour at 250.

I haven't reheated a turkey but I have taken one off, put it in a cooler (which I preheated with hot water) and wrapped in towels before driving over an hour to where I took it out and found the IT still at 170°F. You can rest a big bird for quite a while and that gives you some flexibility in our planning should you decide to cook the morning of.

And besides... If you have the bird, they can hardly start without you. :becky:

What is the ideal size for smoking a bird? And when is it too big for outdoor smoking? What's to big?

I'd say the ideal size for just about any kind of cooking is about 12 lbs.
No particular reason why I guess, other than that size bird will fit in a brine bucket easily, will fit on the Turkey Cannon, etc.

I'm going to do a 20 lb'er this year. I just won't be able to use the Cannon.
No matter, I'll just stuff it with aromatics, truss it and smoke it.

If it'll fit on your smoker, it'll smoke.

14lb butterball
24hr brine (basic salt-sugar, threw a bunch of garlic powder in with it)
spatchcocked, removed the leg quarters (only holding on my skin anyways)
Injected half with Tony Cacheres Cajun Butter
Injected other half with clarified butter
When it got close to done (130ish in breast), I threw into a foiled pan with 1/2lb butter chunks on top and covered with foil.

Clarified butter side was near perfect. Cajun butter side was overly salty with a fake cajun flavor going on.

shot for 300+ top rack
null_zps44c50eb1.jpg

Thanks! That just helped me make my mind up about screwing with the injection. Just going to use butter only for the injection, then aromatics in the cavity and simple spicy rub on the outside. It just occured to me that I don't want to be using anything unnatural if I've paid so much to have an organic bird (SWMBO made me get it since it was so good last year)

My only suggestion with the clairified is letting its temp drop down a bit before injecting. When I started injecting, I was using the flimsy TC injector and the plastic got a little soft then I switched to a sturdier injector. I probably should have let the butter cool even more and maintained injectability

Common sense: basting a turkey with the skin on does nothing. Have you ever had water penetrate your skin while taking a shower?

Has anyone ever taken the skin off and replaced it with cheese cloth? Then baste that?

Back