Choosing the Right Chili Pot For Competition

AJREALBBQ

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I would like some feedback from the group on what pot might be the best. Obviously, I would use it for many other things. I was thinking All-Clad. Any other suggestions?

Well, I use my Dutch ovens. Maybe a nice enameled one? Something that holds heat well and can be used to brown the meat without burning or sticking.

Bob

Most competition you usually only make 2-3 pounds, but I was thinking about a 12 quart so I could make gumbo, stew, etc., in my "normal" life.

Most competition you usually only make 2-3 pounds, but I was thinking about a 12 quart so I could make gumbo, stew, etc., in my "normal" life.

Then I would go with a 12qt cast iron dutch oven. The enamel coated ones are great, but, you have to pay up for the good stuff. I have tried some of the cheap knockoffs, and it doesn't hold up to even light cooking. I gave up on it, and just started using black CI. Some people say not to cook tomatoes or beans in black CI, but it if you get it seasoned good, you won't have any problems.

Cant go wrong with a Le Crueset or Staub dutch ovens from what I understand, but damn they are expensive. I could buy a decent grill for what they want! What utensils do you need to use on the enamel finish?

Last edited:
Another Le Crueset user. I've had mine longer than I can remember.

Big Staub fan here. I have a 5 qt and a big mamma (13 qt I think) that I got for a steal.

Le Creuset 6 quart has worked well for us. We took first place in a comp a few years ago and you do not need to make a lot for a comp. I have a smaller le creuset that is 25 years old and still going strong. Definitely an investment worth making.

Leaning toward the Staub after reading and reading....for maximum usage I thought about going with the 9qt. Thoughts? This is a BIG investment in my cookware and I want to know what y'all think the best overall size would be.

I use a well seasoned cast iron pot. My recipe fills my 8 quart pot right to the top, so I am looking for a good ( Lodge ) 10 quart, at a decent price. I good on a gas range, so I want one with a bail handle and without the little "campfire feet" cast onto the bottom.

I am entering my first competition and if anyone is a veteran, I would like to know what you use as well as most cooks competing. I live in Texas, so the arena is fierce!

I would go with Enameled Cast Iron. They are perfect for induction tops. I love how induction gives me precise control. Perfect simmer. I can literally set it to 140F and let it go overnight.

I really like that they can cook on all types, including induction, but chili cook offs are going to be over gas exclusively. Size is what I am struggling with on the cast iron enamel at this point.

I really like that they can cook on all types, including induction, but chili cook offs are going to be over gas exclusively. Size is what I am struggling with on the cast iron enamel at this point.

I know i should, but i haven't done a Chili cook off yet. But can you tell me why they are exclusively gas only? Do they not have electric at most cook offs, or do they only allow gas?

let me make a correction...almost all are gas since chili cook offs are usually very short, outdoor, and hookups are not usually provided or necessary. At BBQ competitions most stay on site in tents or campers, but electric is normally just used for lighting, etc.

let me make a correction...almost all are gas since chili cook offs are usually very short, outdoor, and hookups are not usually provided or necessary. At BBQ competitions most stay on site in tents or campers, but electric is normally just used for lighting, etc.

Being short is a benifit with induction. I can reach a rolling boil in my 8 QT SS induction pot in less then 5 min. It takes my gas stove 2x the amount of time with the same pot.

Just pointing out i see no disadvantage to induction for a Chili Cook-Off unless they flat out don't allow it.

Back