• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Steam Powered Rotisseri

Awesome:clap:
I take it you are using the heat from the charcoal to generate the steam?

Yep you would be able to use any fuel available be it wood, charcoal or briquettes.
All you need is water, and it does not have to be clean water since there is no contact between the exhaust steam and the meat. The pressure vessel holds about 2 liters of water that lasts about 3 hours, but if you need to keep the rotisserie going for longer than 3 hours you simply release the pressure by means of a valve open the pressure vessel up and fill it up again.
Some of the plans for the second generation is a much larger water tank, a larger steam engine and an adjustable heat shield to control the temperature that the meat sees, while still keeping the steam pipes nice and hot.

Welcome to the forum! That thing is really cool! I had no idea BBQ was so big in S. Africa. We should begin lobbying immediately for a BBQ Holdiay in the US!

Welcome to the forum! That thing is really cool! I had no idea BBQ was so big in S. Africa. We should begin lobbying immediately for a BBQ Holdiay in the US!

Here is the emblem of the national braai-day:
header.jpg

Next year January I will have my second trip to the US-of-A during my first trip there was unfortunately no time for a proper BBQ, this time I am staying for two weeks in Traverse City, Michigan but I believe the whether will derail any BBQ plans during this visit as well... :doh:. Will be there in May as well maybe I'll have better luck then. Hehehe

header.jpg

Next year January I will have my second trip to the US-of-A during my first trip there was unfortunately no time for a proper BBQ, this time I am staying for two weeks in Traverse City, Michigan but I believe the whether will derail any BBQ plans during this visit as well... :doh:. Will be there in May as well maybe I'll have better luck then. Hehehe

Not if you're visiting another Brethren. Weather, it don't make no nevermind, as we like to say in the South. :becky:

Thanks for the youtube, was able to see it - that is very cool! Welcome to the forum from north Florida.

header.jpg

what? Traverse City?? I have a cabin just south of there.

What brings you to Traverse City? Actually there is a real BBQ place there. Its called Ham Bonz, he has a big Lang parked out back...

what? Traverse City?? I have a cabin just south of there.

What brings you to Traverse City? Actually there is a real BBQ place there. Its called Ham Bonz, he has a big Lang parked out back...

I'm going to visit a friend of mine who has just recently moved there from SA, working at Century extrusion. Looking forward to the visit, would you believe that I have never seen snow in my life! :becky:

I'm going to visit a friend of mine who has just recently moved there from SA, working at Century extrusion. Looking forward to the visit, would you believe that I have never seen snow in my life! :becky:

oh you will see it!!

I have 3 snowmobiles and use them a lot there!!!

That was my wife enjoying the Braai! :laugh:
It was an especially beatifull sunset that day over Potchefstroom, nothing better than sitting with friends enjoying the beauty of nature, having a few beers and talking about life...
A happy wife leads to a happy life. You are on the right track.

Jan82, get an Auspit (google) and you are battery operated. I have adapted to several venues:

Paul B
SS UDS

Welcome to the Brethren, you'll love the place. My Dad had a steam engine similar to that, loved watching it run. That reminds me of him.

Like your way of conserving energy.
The chicken your cookin looks fantastic. Good food, good people, what more is there.

Jan very cool!! heah everybody the video is in a zip file. Welcome to the forum. Please share some of your Braai recipes and sauces. Would love to try some of that stuff

I work with numerous South Africans who have migrated to Oz and brought the braai culture here with them.

They are all reknown for their big personality, big ideas, and not doing things by halves.

That steam rotisserie is awesome, and exactly what I'd expect one of my colleagues to do!

They also introduced me to the Ina Paarman range. Very nice seasonings - and badly needed down here to educate all the people who are so used to bland food.

I also buy biltong & boewors. Good eats.

This is the best we have here: http://www.africandelights.com.au

Brother that is amazing. Just goes to show BBQ is the international language!!

Jan82, get an Auspit (google) and you are battery operated. I have adapted to several venues:

Paul B
SS UDS
Paul B, I actually have a similar battery operated rotisserie as well. The steam operated rotisserie was made basically because I can, there really is no other explanation. It is a novelty piece and a conversation starter, and the sound of the steam engine just adds to the atmosphere...

I work with numerous South Africans who have migrated to Oz and brought the braai culture here with them.

They are all reknown for their big personality, big ideas, and not doing things by halves.

That steam rotisserie is awesome, and exactly what I'd expect one of my colleagues to do!

They also introduced me to the Ina Paarman range. Very nice seasonings - and badly needed down here to educate all the people who are so used to bland food.

I also buy biltong & boewors. Good eats.

This is the best we have here: http://www.africandelights.com.au

I have to say Ina Paarman does make excellent spices, stocks etc and all their spices are MSG-free and tastes very good.
If you live in Africa you have to be a kind of jack of all traits I think that is why you experiance your collegues the way you do. In my sector (engineering) South-African engineeris are known by the following sentance -work hard, party hard- hehehe. Strange for engineers...
On the topic of Biltong & Boerewors, have you tried good quality Chilli-Bytes, those are very nice... In fact in the video I used some chilli-byte spice mixed with lemon juice, balsamic vinegar and truffle salt to baste the chicken turned out awesome!

I have to say Ina Paarman does make excellent spices, stocks etc and all their spices are MSG-free and tastes very good.
I didn't know about no MSG - makes me like them even more :clap2:

If you live in Africa you have to be a kind of jack of all traits I think that is why you experiance your collegues the way you do. In my sector (engineering) South-African engineeris are known by the following sentance -work hard, party hard- hehehe. Strange for engineers...
Yes, that's certainly the case. I'm in that field, and 3 of my SA colleagues used to work for Toyota doing the automation.
Mind you, one built a gas-starter assisted charcoal spit. He also added a leaf blower to really help get the charcoal going. It was so over-engineered to the point where the first night he tried it, with all of us there to watch - he lit it, and merely a minute later the flames licked the eaves of the house & nearly set fire to the place!
His Braai was an old truck wheel with a grille over the top.

On the topic of Biltong & Boerewors, have you tried good quality Chilli-Bytes, those are very nice... In fact in the video I used some chilli-byte spice mixed with lemon juice, balsamic vinegar and truffle salt to baste the chicken turned out awesome!
No I haven't. I'll have to see if I can get them here in Sydney. Thanks for the info.

Ok now for some pics:

First off the planning phase the system is drawn in SolidWorks and engineering drawings are made of all parts to be manufactured:

Complete%20system%202.jpg

next some photos of the manufactured parts:
IMG_5310.JPG

and here was the first test of the spit-braai making a beef roast wrapped in bacon:
IMG_5989.JPG

Note in this picture the lid has not yet been made and the insulation for the pipes has not yet been fitted, also at the moment I am using another steam engine (I have 4 all with differing designs)

Last edited:
That is way cool! Thanks for sharing. And I love this comment you made above, "The steam operated rotisserie was made basically because I can, there really is no other explanation.".

Back