• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Lone Star Grillz offset owners?!!

DFoster

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have finally made the decision that I am going to go with an offset over the mini-insulated cabinet. I am looking at the 1/2” firebox upgrade versus the insulated firebox. What are your temp fluctuations like and how much wood are you using for a long Brisket cook? How often are you adding logs?

If you own the 1/2”, how is the hot plate and grill top working out for you? Doing pizzas?

Thanks for your input!!

I've got the 1/4" firebox on a LSG vertical offset and on average it's a split every 30-45 mins. I don't have the grill top because I upgraded to the warming oven option so can't help you there but someone else will chime in I'm sure. I think you'll only notice savings in fuel is if you go with insulated. IIRC Chris said 1/2" FB will save you about 15% in fuel consumption compared to a 1/4".

Only fluctuation is temps starting to drop due to it being time for a new spit then it comes right back up once a new split is tossed it. It's an offset so it's not going to run precise like any other cooker but then again the temps swings are slight and don't have an effect on your cook. You just have to let her run where she's happy and my LSG VO is at 275 as is with most offsets. You can play with it but no need to IMHO.

Awesome, thanks for the info. How do you like product put out?

I also have a vertical offset with standard firebox. I personally feel that in the California climate you don't need to upgrade the firebox and can put that money towards other upgrades. Like Sako I am adding a split every 30 to 45 minutes. I have only used the firebox grill top a handful of times but it works great and I love having the option to use the griddle. I own 2 Weber charcoal grills so I use those for convenience on smaller cooks. If I could add something that I didn't get when I ordered I would extend the stainless steel shelf out more to hold full size aluminum pans. I love everything about the smoker, have no complaints.

Awesome, thanks for the info. How do you like product put out?

Absolutely love it! Hands down the best bbq is off of an offset smoker. It's a bit of a work but well worth the effort.

Just make sure an offset is for you because there are instances where people bought them and realized it wasn't for them. I've got multiple grills/smokers so I put each in rotation and works great for me.

What Danny said BTW. Great point on being from southern CA we don't need more than 1/4" fb. It's freaking 85* today and has been for the past couple weeks and we're in February.

Wouldn't hurt to have a 1/2" but I thought it was pointless for me.

I don't have a LSG but have a Klose with the same fit/finish and 1/4" firebox. Add will add wood like the others every 30-45 minutes.

My opinion is a insulated or 1/2" is not needed. I've never once used my grill top. I would skip on it next time. Thats just me.

Insulated will be down the road. I have a Traeger to do my times where I need to walk away for extended times. What would you purchase first though?

Living in Fresno we get below 32 during the winter. Do you still think it wouldn’t be worth it?

I have an insulated firebox on my Shirley and love how it holds heat and it doesn’t take much wood to maintain temp. I live in GA and got an insulated FB for the heat retention, paint preservation and wood savings. I think it is worth it personally for these reasons and is a one time cost spread out over years of benefit. I would guess it saves at least 30% on wood.

Living in Fresno we get below 32 during the winter. Do you still think it wouldn’t be worth it?

I guess you have to ask yourself how many times do you see yourself using it on the coldest days of the year. I used my offset on a 5° day once because I promised my guests I'd make a brisket and over a 9 hour cook, I may have used one or two extra splits. At that rate, you need to do a lot of cooks to pay for an upgraded firebox. Considering where you live, I don't think it is worth it. Now, if you are already ordering every other option they offer and you still have money burning a hole in your pocket, than upgrade the box. I can see ordering an insulated firebox if you have young children that might be walking near the pit but that's about it. As far as the grill top feature or cooking a pizza, I don't use the offset since I have a Big Green Egg. Temperature control for grilling and the cleanup time is better on the Egg. I have occasionally used the offset grill if I am already smoking something and I want a snack but I could have lived without that feature. If this will be the only outdoor cooker you own though, I'd say you might use it more than most of us who have other options.

Some folks order thicker or insulated fireboxes so the outside stays cooler and maybe the paint finish will stay nicer, and I guess I understand that. But I've never understood ordering it that way to save on wood. In the first place, cash in hand up front should be worth more than some perceived savings in wood use, a little here and a little there, over the coming years. But more importantly, IMHO at least, the whole purpose and function of an offset stickburner is to smoke meat with wood smoke. Given that, I just don't understand spending more money to design and build it in such a way that it will smoke less by burning less wood.

Of course, you don't want something thin, cheap, or low quality, that won't hold a temp or provide you a quality experience using it. But something 1/8 to 1/4 usually does great.

I do think something thicker or insulated might be useful to counter really cold climes, but not in Fresno. I've used mine in rain, cold, sleet, and snow and never had an issue. So my 2 cents (and that's all it's worth) would be to stick with 1/4 and use the 1/2 or insulated charges for savings or other features.

I have an insulated firebox on my LSG vertical offset. Pretty much the only reason I got it was due to small grandchildren running around. Does it use less wood? I have nothing to compare it to since this is my first stick burner. I do cut my firewood into 6"-8" lengths and if cooking at 250* only have to put only one in the firebox in order to maintain it. There is no need to build/maintain anything larger than a small fire at that temp. That changes sometimes when I cook at 275*.

Another plus, I guess, is the additional preservation of the paint on the firebox.

I have a HOS with warming oven and tend to run with the intake wide open/door open and she hums along at 275 to 300 with invisible smoke and add more fuel every 40 to 50 min. She runs that way regardless if the outside temp is 100+ or 35. I have 1/4" all the way. If my racks are loaded up plus a water pan she will cruise 260 to 280.

I have the 24x48 offset with the insulated firebox. I've had the cooker for about 3 years now and use it at least a couple times a month in weather ranging from 95+ degrees to below freezing, i.e. mid 20s. I can share some observations from my experience:

The cooking chamber seems to recover faster after opening the doors, this compared to previous offsets I've owned. Now, I do not specific degrees per minute type details, but to me it seems noticeable.

I add a wood every 30-45 minutes to maintain an approximate 275 degree temp in the cooking chamber. Usually one piece of wood every time I add.

My "splits" consist of a regular size split cut in half lengthwise and then each half split vertically, in essence giving me 4 pieces from one "normal" size split.

The outside of the firebox does get hot, but much less than a standard 1/4" would. The paint on the outside of the firebox looks pretty much like new after 3 years.

Living in Texas our winters are pretty mild compared to other areas of the country so to me the biggest benefit is the temp recovery from opening doors. My temp swings just seem to be less drastic.

Hope that helps.

^
^
^
^
What was said there.... only difference is mine is 24x40 offset.

Having had all three (1/4", 1/2" & Insulated) I'm most pleased with the insulated version.

Insulated will be down the road. I have a Traeger to do my times where I need to walk away for extended times. What would you purchase first though?

I'd get the Insulated cabinet and a cheaper offset (Like an Ok Joe Longhorn or Old Country Pecos) to decide if you like stick burning and if so upgrade in a year or 2.
If you have experience on a stickburner then get the LSG Offset since you have the Traeger........

A couple pit builders from California;

1) Bakersfield BBQ Pits
https://hqfabrication.jimdo.com/patio-smokers/

2) Schaffner Fabrication
http://www.schaffnerfabrication.com/smokers/

Also
J.H. Smokers & Welding Fabrication in Cali

http://jhsmokers.com/

https://www.facebook.com/JHFabrication/

Last edited:
I'd get the Insulated cabinet and a cheaper offset (Like an Ok Joe Longhorn or Old Country Pecos) to decide if you like stick burning and if so upgrade in a year or 2.
If you have experience on a stickburner then get the LSG Offset since you have the Traeger........

Also
J.H. Smokers & Welding Fabrication in Cali

http://jhsmokers.com/

https://www.facebook.com/JHFabrication/

What if you knew that this would be your last smoker purchase for a long while 7-10 years+?

Back