MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-24-2016, 04:22 PM   #1
kaseytavel
Got rid of the matchlight.

Question Question about storing pulled pork

I'm making around 10 lbs of pulled pork for a get together in a few weeks. My problem is that I'm smoking it on Sunday for the following Friday and I'm not sure about the best way to keep it as fresh as possible. Should I freeze it? If so should I pull it first? Can I keep it in the fridge and again should I pull it first?

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.
kaseytavel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2016, 06:25 PM   #2
txsmkmstr
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : ...

Pull, shred, chop right away. Add some de-fatted juice to the mixture and freeze. That's the "freshest" way IMHO.

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-24-2016, 06:26 PM   #3
Westx
is One Chatty Farker

I pull mine, vac seal left overs and reheat in hot water. Still taste delicious with the smell texture as fresh pulled.
Assassin 36” Pellet Grill
LSG Mini on reversed comp cart
LSG 20”x36” pellet grill
Wes
Westx is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-24-2016, 07:11 PM   #4
yakdung
is One Chatty Farker

Smoke, pull, vacuum seal then freeze.
yakdung is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:26 PM   #5
Cook'n with Wood
Knows what a fatty is.

Disagree cook it boneless....do not pull....save all your wrap juices... Vacuum pack with the juices.....reheat in hot water....pull add juices as needed...as good as fresh.

Old 11-24-2016, 09:31 PM   #6
northeast bbqer
Full Fledged Farker

Pull and then vacuum seal and freeze. When ready to consume, boil the bag until heated through.
northeast bbqer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2016, 10:09 PM   #7
MeatyOakerSmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westx View Post
I pull mine, vac seal left overs and reheat in hot water. Still taste delicious with the smell texture as fresh pulled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by northeast bbqer View Post
Pull and then vacuum seal and freeze. When ready to consume, boil the bag until heated through.
This ^
18.5" WSM (Model #2820)
UDS
La Caja China
COS - Oklahoma Joe Highlander
Lang 48 Patio
Grilla Silverbac Original
Formerly known as IbrahimSS
MeatyOakerSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2016, 10:12 PM   #8
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

^ +1
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2016, 09:26 AM   #9
RatSass
Knows what a fatty is.

I'll have to be the contrary one. I only stored it pulled once.

I let it cool then tightly double wrap in HD foil and freeze whole. When I'm ready to use it I put it in a pan with a little (6-8oz) of liquid, tightly seal it then heat at 325-350. I pull it/break it up after its hot.

Can't tell it isn't right off the smoker.

Last edited by RatSass; 11-25-2016 at 10:02 AM..
RatSass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2016, 09:29 AM   #10
mjpmap
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Another vote for vac seal. I bring water to a boil, then shut the flame off. Leave the sealed bag in hot water until warm. It will taste just like it did on the day of the cook.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:53 AM   #11
MeatyOakerSmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatSass View Post
I'll have to be the contrary one. I only stored it pulled once.

I let it fool then tightly double wrap in HD foil and freeze whole. When I'm ready to use it I put it in a pan with a little (6-8oz) of liquid, tightly seal it then heat at 325-350. I pull it/break it up after its hot.

Can't tell it isn't right off the smoker.
I've tried similar techniques. I don't like them as much a vacuum sealed. I find I can detect an unpleasant flavor that's similar to fat burning or going rancid.
18.5" WSM (Model #2820)
UDS
La Caja China
COS - Oklahoma Joe Highlander
Lang 48 Patio
Grilla Silverbac Original
Formerly known as IbrahimSS
MeatyOakerSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2016, 10:53 AM   #12
AZMANNIMAL
Found some matches.

I have tried it multiple ways.
1. I have pulled it and into a disposable half pan then flash froze. Defrosted then put on the smoker the day of to bring to temperature (making everyone think it was fresh). Not bad but lots of work.
2. Left whole cooled and vac sealed then frozen, pulled from the freezer and put the bag into boiling water brought to temp then pulled.
3. Pulled, let cool, vacuum sealed (or double zip lock) then right from freezer to boiling water until to temperature.
Of all the different ways the best results have always been with #3. Only advice is you need to be careful about how much extra juice you put in before freezing. If you put too much it can come out a bit mushy. I now pull the pork and put it in the bag as it is and take the juice and put into a different bag. When reheat day comes boil the meat bag until ready and take the bag of defrosted juice and add as needed. This way seems to allow the pulled pork to have the taste and texture of just off the cooker.
You can actually do ribs the same way. you loose some of the bark but the flavor is still awesome.
AZMANNIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2016, 04:56 AM   #13
Sopchoppy
Full Fledged Farker

If I'm freezing a whole butt, let it cool, then in the fridge to congeal the fat/juice, then vacuum seal and into the freezer, will keep indefinitely. Yes, they make bags big enough to hold a whole butt. To reheat, thaw in the fridge, leave it whole, then in the oven at 225-250. For storing after pulling, let it completely cool, I vac seal in meal size portions, and into the freezer. Reheat in hot water.
Sopchoppy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2016, 07:04 AM   #14
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZMANNIMAL View Post
I have tried it multiple ways.

3. Pulled, let cool, vacuum sealed (or double zip lock) then right from freezer to boiling water until to temperature.
Of all the different ways the best results have always been with #3. Only advice is you need to be careful about how much extra juice you put in before freezing. If you put too much it can come out a bit mushy.
I do this except I do not boil the bag as it further cooks the meat and can create a mushy texture as you describe.

If you pull your butts off the smoker when the bone wiggles like a loose tooth the meat is perfectly done and not mushy. I chill the drippings separately, skim off the hardened fat and add approximately 4 oz of congealed drippings per pound of pulled pork and vac-seal in flat 3 lb packages (use whatever size suits your personal needs). When reheating the pork I bring a large pan to boil, then turn off the flame and let the thawed vac-sealed bag sit in the hot (not boiling) water for about 10 to 15 minutes until the product reaches 165° which is a safe serving temperature. The 3 lb bags when warmed will nicely fill a half sized pan.

I also put the congealed drippings in the bottom of the bag to void the corners of air on the larger bags. I've had pulled pork get lost in the freezer for over a year and it still tastes like it's fresh, never mushy.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pork, pulled pork, Pulled Pork Recipe