Pork Box

Black Cat BBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
What do you all think about this lettuce? Should we go with the parsley type putting green for our next comp? Our appearance scores were pretty good the first time out. We ended up 7th with this pork box. I think it looks OK but certainly not like some of the boxes that you all do.

Attachments

• Chesapeake Bay BBQ 2008 028.jpg
    Chesapeake Bay BBQ 2008 028.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 141
  • Chesapeake Bay BBQ 2008 027.jpg
    Chesapeake Bay BBQ 2008 027.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 140
Parsley box is good only if you really put a lot of time an effort into sizing all the pieces right and packing it tightly.

The lettuce in your box is certainly different than most. It's a really dark lettuce which is nice but I think you need to cover all the sides and layer the middle so the meat does not sit so low.

I think adding more pork would be a nice plus and possibly try to arrange it in a more organized fashion...Maybe a light coating of a thin sauce... The pork placed 7th, which is good, but from the pic it does look a little dry and that burned bark takes away IMO.. A thin sauce will cover than up.

That is one of the best lettuce boxes I've seen in a while. I prefer putting greens but that looks good. I like the size of your pulled pieces too.

I agree with Vinny about the sauce. The pork looks a little dry and some sliced medallions would sure fill the box in nicely. I'd probably give it an 8 in appearance because it looks dry.

Okay thanks guys! We could not find parsley for that comp. We went to all the local grocery stores in our area and it was either brown or they just had cilantro. Didnt want to risk that flavor rubbing off on the meat so we went with romain.

I didnt sauce that butt so you are right, it did look a little burned but was just dark bark. It was our first time and I wasnt sure about saucing it. I had read about tossing the pulled pork with rub and sauce but didnt want it to turn out grainy.

The appearance scores were 898688.

Thanks again, trying to get geared up for Dover!

Back