Humbled

monty3777

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
My first two comps this year have been a real eye opener. This is my first year trying to do comps solo (with a LOT of help from Jeff's brother, Jason to be sure). I figured it would be a challenge, but I had no idea how difficult it is to manage all the things necessary to cook all four KCBS categories. It was easy to blame my NKC showing on the 40% CBJs, but Smokin on Big Creek was a great contest, full of CBJs and my results were the same. Bottom of the pack and an aching back :heh:

To those of you who pay all the costs, set-up, prep, maintain fires, cook all 4 categories, turn-in, and clean up by yourself or with a helper, then drive 6 hours home, hats off to you! I'm not man enough - I'm sticking with my team :thumb: Monty's Little Monsters is a done deal. The kids would rather go fishing and shoot their BB gun anyway.

Also, I'm sorry if I missed folks who needed knives sharpened. I spent the entire weekend trying to figure out what comes next and I didn't leave myself enough time. Sorry :icon_blush:

I know the feeling as I have cooked by myself for the most part on occasion. Because these events are smaller over here it isn't so bad but I do feel your pain. It has made me get VERY organized and learned to do without some items for when the full team is present.

Oh man don't give it up so soon. I am usually sitting around or out socializing on Friday and the only time I wish i had a second pair of hands is probably 10am - 2pm for turn ins and loading the trailer.

Are you prepping everything before the comp? That is a huge time saver.

Oh man don't give it up so soon. I am usually sitting around or out socializing on Friday and the only time I wish i had a second pair of hands is probably 10am - 2pm for turn ins and loading the trailer.

Are you prepping everything before the comp? That is a huge time saver.

I'm not giving up. Just going back to what works. :thumb:

I've cooked several contest by myself and it does make you appreciate the friends and family that go to help out when they can. Doing as much at home as you can makes it much easier.

I do it solo except for a helper that comes for turn-ins and helping to load up. Loading up solo is a killer. Good effort and maybe the kids will be more interested as they get a little older.

I did the solo thing after my brother has to bow out. It does suck - buy it is all about timing.

GOod luck to you.

I cook 90% solo and do 22-26 a year. You gotta have a plan and that plan can't be one that kills you. Constantly look at the little things you do that take time and energy. As youself if you really need to bring this or do that. Can you do it a different way that is more efficient? You can do it. Requires rethinking what you know about doing a BBQ contest as a team. Teams can be largely inefficient... because they can be and still survive. Small teams or solo cooks have to conserve energy.

So your saying your going to go back to showing up Fri night after everything is set up and ready to go?
Duh, WINNING!!
Ed

I cook 90% solo and do 22-26 a year. You gotta have a plan and that plan can't be one that kills you. Constantly look at the little things you do that take time and energy. As youself if you really need to bring this or do that. Can you do it a different way that is more efficient? You can do it. Requires rethinking what you know about doing a BBQ contest as a team. Teams can be largely inefficient... because they can be and still survive. Small teams or solo cooks have to conserve energy.

ditto !..

Nate, it's all about organization!
My wife is a huge help in that department, but when I do a comp when she isn't there I downsize even more.

Back