Smoked Cheese Little Chief Style

swamprb

somebody shut me the fark up.
thirdeye jogged my memory on the Little Chief Smoker "Cool Box" method for smoking cheese so I pulled my trusty LC out of the rafters and put it to work.
1.5 lbs PepperJack, 2 lbs Cheddar smoked with Hickory and 2 lbs Mozzarella smoked with Apple chips. I wanted a deep smoke so I cut the cheeses in 1" logs and let them smoke for an hour and a half with one pan of chips.

100_2158.jpg

100_2160.jpg

100_2168.jpg

Smoking cheese. Something else to add to the list of things I need to do.

Thanks for sharing a great idea.

Looks great partner...I've never thought about smoking cheese before. I'll have to pick your brain a bit later on...:p:p:p

hey! my neighbor has one of those, but i don't think he has the box.

anyway, i've been rying to get him to use it... this might do the trick or i'll steal it from him and do it myself!)

Yeah, gotta keep the box for the insulation, I used another box on top to channel the smoke over the top and back and block the cutout for the chip pan. This was my first smoker for salmon.

Brian,

I didn't think it was necessary to use the extension on mine today. Notice the winter mod, 1-1/2" blue insulation. :mrgreen:

img_0103aL.jpg

Here is 8# of sharp cheddar. I'm using alder/apple mix for about an hour.

IMG_0105a.jpg

That looks great but the cheese doesn't seem to look any different from unsmoked? I mean I can't tell much diff before or after in the pics? I too have a little Chief up in the garage rafters that hasn't been used for years. Does the cheese pick up much of the smoke flavor?

Also if you don't know folks taste would they (smoked cheese brick) still make a nice personal last minute Christmas present for friends or neighbors? I mean most folks like cheese...right?:-D

Has anyone seen any Christmas colored Food sealer bags?

That looks great but the cheese doesn't seem to look any different from unsmoked? I mean I can't tell much diff before or after in the pics? I too have a little Chief up in the garage rafters that hasn't been used for years. Does the cheese pick up much of the smoke flavor?

Also if you don't know folks taste would they (smoked cheese brick) still make a nice personal last minute Christmas present for friends or neighbors? I mean most folks like cheese...right?:-D

Has anyone seen any Christmas colored Food sealer bags?

You don't really want it to pick up any color. Sometimes, like in the picture below, it will deform slightly or get warm enough to leave marks from the rack.

You can over smoke cheeses easily so I usually go about an hour if the pieces are 1 pound each. 1/2 pound pieces I go closer to 45 minutes. It mellows out in the first 24 hours, so sampling right out of the box will be deceiving. It makes great gifts, not just because it's good but because it keeps well. I blot any surface oils, vacuum seal and add a label.

DSC04182a.jpg

You don't really want it to pick up any color. Sometimes, like in the picture below, it will deform slightly or get warm enough to leave marks from the rack.

You can over smoke cheeses easily so I usually go about an hour if the pieces are 1 pound each. 1/2 pound pieces I go closer to 45 minutes. It mellows out in the first 24 hours, so sampling right out of the box will be deceiving. It makes great gifts, not just because it's good but because it keeps well. I blot any surface oils, vacuum seal and add a label.

DSC04182a.jpg

This is definately something that appeals to me. I probably won't have time this year but I've got to make a few practice runs and turn out some gift surprises for next year. Thanks for the info!

Dr. KY I see your across the pond and maybe that's why those parts are rare there. But I think I've seen replacement elements right on the shelf along with the Little Chief Smokers right here at the local BiMart?:-D

This is the one thing I can count on smoking related, the Little Chiefs are everywhere around here. Anyplace that sells any fishing gear has them, they sell parts for them, but I don't know anyone that has ever replaced an element because they just last forever! Wood chips you can count on except they are Alder mix, but its native. My FIL had some of the nastiest looking LC's along with his pickled Herring barrels, for the longest time I wouldn't touch anything that came out of them, but he was an old time Alaskan fisherman/carreer Coast Guard and he knew what he was doing with things from the briny deep.

I remember my uncle having a LC years ago. Wouldn't mind getting my hands on one now just for giggles.

They used to make a knock-down model that was really cool. The panels came apart and it stored flat. Some friends that were hooked on steelhead and salmon fishing had one in their motorhome. I see that now there is a mini.

Back