Big Chief Smoker?

jawpaul

Full Fledged Farker
Just found a Big Chief Smoker for sale on my local craigslist for $35. Any opinions/thoughts on it?

I know it's for cold smoking mainly. I think I might have to get into jerky making if I get this thing.

I have used one for many years for jerky and smoked salmon. Only issue was had to replace heating element after 20+ years:thumb: At that price I'd grab it

Jerky, cheese, fish...grab it! You might check that it has a power cord and a working element or you'll double that price quickly.

It's bigger than a Little Chief!

$35 is a very decent price for a Big Chief, just check to see that it has the power cord, heats up, the racks, drip and chip pans are not rusted out and you should be set. It's nice to have the box for it to "cool smoke" items too!

They still make replacement parts for most of them, but mine is so old if the element goes out I'm SOL and in the market for another.

Get it!

I only use mine to smoke fish, and it does an excellent job at that. 17 years and counting. How do you guys smoke cheese with it though? I tried with the lid elevated and the cheese still meted. Once I cooled it down though the blob tasted great.

I only use mine to smoke fish, and it does an excellent job at that. 17 years and counting. How do you guys smoke cheese with it though? I tried with the lid elevated and the cheese still meted. Once I cooled it down though the blob tasted great.

Basically, it's got to be cold outside first. The manual actually shows a method using the box as a cold smoke chamber. Other folks have used ice in a vowl to keep temps down. In the summer I'm sure you could just forget about trying it...

Basically, it's got to be cold outside first. The manual actually shows a method using the box as a cold smoke chamber. Other folks have used ice in a vowl to keep temps down. In the summer I'm sure you could just forget about trying it...

Thanks, I'll try the ice method while it's still cool outside. I think I probably tried it on a warm day.

Here are some pics of the "cool smoke" setup Arlin mentions from the manual.

I have done it year round with no problems, or having to add a plate of ice like some cookers.

IMG_3160.jpg

I use an old grill as a rack and the legs of the Little Chief frame rests securely.

IMG_3161.jpg

IMG_3162.jpg

Place the original box over the rack frame.

IMG_3163.jpg

I place another box over the carton because the flap that covers the chip pan opening has long since degraded.

IMG_3164.jpg

Smoke away!

IMG_3176.jpg

Let the smoked cheeses age a few days in the refer for best results.

Thanks, Brian!
I'm going to send those pix to my wife and she's going to...well, she'll be a happy camper. :laugh:

I foresee some cheese smoking this weekend!

Back