Help with Trailer Awning/Taller Canopy

ewatts2003

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Good morning everyone. I have recently started designing my competition setup layout using my 6x12 v nose trailer and I'm having some trouble with an awning/canopy. The top of my trailer is 8 1/2 ft from the ground with the walk in door only a couple inches lower. I'm trying to figure out an awning set up for the trailer or a taller 10x10 canopy so that the doorway is covered in case of rain, etc. All of the canopies I am finding are about 7 ft at their highest notches and there isn't enough room to mount a standard awning on the side of the trailer. Do you guys/gals have a recommendation for raising the canopy so it is still stable? Or have a more permanent awning solution that will clear my door? Thanks in advance!

Put leg extensions on the canopy..

This is what I am leaning towards, just see if anyone has any extensions that they have made/purchased that worked well and didn't compromise the strength of the canopy at all.

Did you look at mounting an awning, that is what we did after spending a season leaving the door open.

The problem with mounting an awning is there is only 2-3" space between the top of the door and the top of the trailer. I'm assuming I would have to get some sort of roof mounted awning to ensure the top wouldn't interfere with the door. I'm looking at all kinds of options, just thought I would check here first. I did do a couple searches and found some good info, just nothing concrete yet.

This is what I am leaning towards, just see if anyone has any extensions that they have made/purchased that worked well and didn't compromise the strength of the canopy at all.

PVC pipe

We had 3" PVC pipe filled with concrete with bolts stuck out the top that we fastened to the the tent legs. It worked, but was a bit of a pain. We then went with an ARB awning on Amazon. They're designed to mount to a roof rack, but you can rig up a bracket pretty easy to mount however you need to.

I found this browsing trailer manufacturers. It's called an offset ladder rack, but you could easily mount an awning to the crossbeam.
This is mounted on the back, but it looks like simple stock aluminum.
https://carmate-trailers.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/DOOR-Offset-Ladder-Rack.jpg
The other option is similar to what race crews use. Their awnings are usually made out of box tubing, and mount to a female section on the side or roof of their trailer, similar to this; https://goo.gl/images/ewvfwu

If you use a canopy, there will runoff between the canopy and trailer.

I thought about this as well. If I go the canopy route this is something I will have to address and come up with a solution for.

Back