MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:30 PM   #1
jmoney7269
Banned

Default Jaccarding brisket?

Anyone ever use a jaccard meat tenderizer and like the hell out of it to get the marinade or rub deep in the meat?
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2012, 09:49 PM   #2
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Nope, can't say that I have. I've taken a needle to it many times though.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-04-2012, 10:06 PM   #3
ksace
On the road to being a farker

I've used one a couple of times but haven't really noticed a difference.

Using tapatalk with my note II
ksace is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2012, 10:11 PM   #4
Pig Nutz
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Steve

I've experimented by using a fork instead of a jaccard. Tried it on steaks, brisket and ribs by stabbing them up to a couple hundred times after the rub is on. You should try that to see what you think. My results were good but the verdict is still out with me. I thought the meat cooked faster and stayed moister but am still experimenting with it. Next time I'm thinking of only stabbing one half to see if it's different than the other half to eliminate differences in slabs of meat.
Pig Nutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2012, 10:23 PM   #5
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Smokinghotmama uses a jacquard on her brisket and swears by it

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2012, 10:30 PM   #6
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

i've done it often. it does change the texture of the brisket somewhat.. and stretching the slices are difficult.. still do it on briskets for home.

and very important advice...

dont inject after jaccarding. Makes a mess...

dont ask me how i know that. :)

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2012, 11:46 PM   #7
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Never done it to a brisket but it makes for a dandy Chicken Fried Steak. If you cook your brisket right you don't need teeth to eat it. So I reckon if ya can't cook a great brisket it would be a viable cheat but I bet it wont slice to well.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:57 AM   #8
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I only use for leaner cuts, like a strip steak or chops..there is enough moisture naturaly in a flat especialy with the point on...and as BBQ Chef states about makinig a mess when injectinig...I heard this from a reliable source also as potentional mess in the makiing....
as you inject a brisket you can watch the juice travel through the meat (unjacarded)

Old 12-05-2012, 07:35 AM   #9
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

I think an interesting side-by-side test would be to inject one brisket as many do, and then jaccard another brisket and marinate it. Cook the same and compare. Leave all the other variables the same as well of course.

Sounds like an experiment I might have to try myself!

My hypothesis, were I using the scientific method and all, is that the jaccarded brisket will be more overall tender, but less juicy and maybe even less flavorful.

Where I personally use the jaccard is on leaner meats cooked at high temp and not to as high an internal temp. I think any cut of meat that is going to be cooked quasi low n slow to an internal temp where the meat becomes tender will benefit little from the mechnical nature of a jaccard's tenderizing.

We did a flank steak for fajitas the other night for dinner and I jaccarded the daylights out of it before marinating. Turned out most excellent.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote