MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:38 PM   #6631
chaddie
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat Burner View Post
sjm, just trying to help a brother here. Be very careful using the exhaust to control temps on a UDS. You can get a bitter nasty flavor when you choke the smoke down inside. Controlling the burn cleanly with the intakes might be a better option.
'I agree!! I added a second exhaust daisy wheel on my weber dome lid. I keep both opened at all times and I still control my temps at whatever I want. IMHO the drum temp control is all about how hot was your fuel when you put it in the drum and air intake.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:13 PM   #6632
NASCARican
Knows what a fatty is.

I found that the lids will fit a closed top drum better than a open top drum...still have to grind the top ring a little, but it fit snug.
NASCARican is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2010, 07:22 AM   #6633
pAT_13
Got Wood.

I got mine done , here are some build pics:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=91320
pAT_13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2010, 07:39 AM   #6634
sjm845
Got Wood.

Default Exhaust

Thanks for the tips boys. I have never messed with the exhaust before my virgin experience with lump. I have to say that for my cooker, lump was not a good experience. I had way more intakes open than normal and temp was constantly dropping even though I kept kicking the can and had plenty of fuel. Maybe the uniformity of the briqs is a factor? There wasn't much of a noticeable taste difference either so I'm going to stick with what works for me.

As for my probe response through the exhaust. When I have to take the lid off I just disconnect the wire--no snag, no problems, no worries. Drill if you want...I originally planned to use some rubber grommets I picked up at HD until I perfected the lazy ass mod! Seems like my solution is in the spirit of the UDS.
SLOATSBURG, NY
[URL="http://tellyouwhatbbq.com"]TELLYOUWHATBBQ.COM[/URL]
[URL="http://facebook.com/tellyouwhatbbq"]facebook.com/tellyouwhatbbq[/URL]
Twitter: [URL="http://twitter.com/tellyouwhatbbq"]@tellyouwhatbbq[/URL]
RUB IT...SMOKE IT...PULL IT!
sjm845 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2010, 07:43 AM   #6635
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NASCARican View Post
I found that the lids will fit a closed top drum better than a open top drum...still have to grind the top ring a little, but it fit snug.
Weber lids fit the bottoms of open top drums good to.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:39 PM   #6636
chaddie
Full Fledged Farker

[QUOTE=sjm845;1384453]Thanks for the tips boys. I have never messed with the exhaust before my virgin experience with lump. I have to say that for my cooker, lump was not a good experience. I had way more intakes open than normal and temp was constantly dropping even though I kept kicking the can and had plenty of fuel. Maybe the uniformity of the briqs is a factor? There wasn't much of a noticeable taste difference either so I'm going to stick with what works for me.

I think you're right on the uniformity of briqs. All I have used in my drum is Lazzari mesquite lump. Out of the bag some of those chunks are dam near logs! So I try to break them down as much as I can to briq size, then I try to get a good pack, not to many large air gaps. I've got a brisket cooking right now and after 2 hrs. I think the drum is finally stable at 250*. lump is kinda tricky, but I think I'm getting it down!
I like Lazzari because it's 100% natural.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:27 PM   #6637
ChicagoSizzlin
Full Fledged Farker

Well I got a Weber lid a couple of days ago. I had to bend the lip out and let me tell ya WEAR some glasses! All the paint was popping into my face as well as everywhere else. Good thing for my Elvis style safety goggles to save me!

Proud Owner of a UDS & UDG

My UDG - Ugly Drum Grill

Member of the Drumhead Club
ChicagoSizzlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2010, 12:33 PM   #6638
Rodney
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidder View Post
Ok I just gotta pipe in here. Dang guys it's only cooking. You shouldn't have any problem if you built it correctly and you shouldn't have any problem with the probe leads if ya follow the directions here. Good luck on all your smokes. I have never had a problem but I followed the directions here.
Don't you know that forums like this exist solely for all of us to over-think things that could be simple? Where's the fun in making it simple? If things are complicated, it's easier to immerse yourself and eat up all of your spare (and not spare) time!
Char-Broil Commercial Series Gasser, ECB, MECO 4400 charcoal grill, 22.5" OTS, UDS built 3/20/2010 ([URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/album.php?albumid=291"]Pics[/URL], [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCyKypslPhs"]Video[/url])
Maverick ET-7 and ET-73, home-built 18A sous vide temperature controller
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
My blog: [url="http://think-create-eat.blogspot.com"] THINK + CREATE + EAT[/url] - [URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/THINK-CREATE-EAT/115706441783448"]"Like" on Facebook[/URL]

[B][COLOR=red]"Meat: It's what's for dinner. And lunch, breakfast, dessert..."[/COLOR][/B]
Rodney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2010, 12:38 PM   #6639
Rodney
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm845 View Post
Thanks for the tips boys. I have never messed with the exhaust before my virgin experience with lump. I have to say that for my cooker, lump was not a good experience. I had way more intakes open than normal and temp was constantly dropping even though I kept kicking the can and had plenty of fuel. Maybe the uniformity of the briqs is a factor? There wasn't much of a noticeable taste difference either so I'm going to stick with what works for me.

As for my probe response through the exhaust. When I have to take the lid off I just disconnect the wire--no snag, no problems, no worries. Drill if you want...I originally planned to use some rubber grommets I picked up at HD until I perfected the lazy ass mod! Seems like my solution is in the spirit of the UDS.
I've always had better luck with Kingsford Competition charcoal briquettes than with lump. I especially like it more when starting a full chimney of it for grilling... Lump packs too tightly and won't flow air through the chimney very well. It also smells just like lump when it burns, i.e. like burning wood instead of like Kingsford briquettes. I've gathered that something like Kingsford Comp, Wicked Good Charcoal (WGC), or the 100% natural Royal Oak foodservice stuff that can be bought through DoItBest Hardware are all viable alternatives to lump, but will never beat lump when it comes to low ash production because they all have binders in them that hold the briquettes together. That said, they don't make a ton of ash.

Here's a comparison between standard Kingsford, Kingsford Comp, and WGC:
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productrevi...ompetition.htm

-Rodney
Char-Broil Commercial Series Gasser, ECB, MECO 4400 charcoal grill, 22.5" OTS, UDS built 3/20/2010 ([URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/album.php?albumid=291"]Pics[/URL], [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCyKypslPhs"]Video[/url])
Maverick ET-7 and ET-73, home-built 18A sous vide temperature controller
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
My blog: [url="http://think-create-eat.blogspot.com"] THINK + CREATE + EAT[/url] - [URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/THINK-CREATE-EAT/115706441783448"]"Like" on Facebook[/URL]

[B][COLOR=red]"Meat: It's what's for dinner. And lunch, breakfast, dessert..."[/COLOR][/B]
Rodney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2010, 09:39 PM   #6640
chickenskinmusic
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddie View Post
'I agree!! I added a second exhaust daisy wheel on my weber dome lid. I keep both opened at all times and I still control my temps at whatever I want. IMHO the drum temp control is all about how hot was your fuel when you put it in the drum and air intake.

What are the advantages of adding a second daisy wheel on a UDS?
chickenskinmusic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2010, 11:13 PM   #6641
ChicagoSizzlin
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenskinmusic View Post
I would think to help more air flow to allow higher heat temps is the answer Alex?

My UDG - Ugly Drum Grill

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:42 AM   #6642
Sugar-T
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Hi everyone, Just wanted to say Thanks for allowing me to join this interesting place. I am very interested in building one of these drum cookers and may have some questions that you have answered already. I believe this is about 101 pages long and I have read through many of them but it is a lot of information to take in.

I appologize in advance if I ask too dumb of a question or ask one that has been answered a hundred times already. I find cooking outdoors is a conversation waiting to happen.

Again, Thanks

Cincinnati, Ohio

Old 09-01-2010, 07:43 AM   #6643
Sugar-T
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

OOPS, I see it is 444 + pages ... my bad... ;ots or reading to do

Old 09-01-2010, 10:48 AM   #6644
ChicagoSizzlin
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar-T View Post
OOPS, I see it is 444 + pages ... my bad... ;ots or reading to do

I would highly recomend going threw the whole thread if you could. Theres just so much info in this thread and will probably answer most of your questions. The best advice I got when building mine was keep it simple and not get ahead of myself. Theres alot of mods people have done on these things but the orginal design is a proven one. Just keep it basic and have fun!

Make sure you post some pics of the build and food!

My UDG - Ugly Drum Grill

Old 09-01-2010, 11:14 AM   #6645
chaddie
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenskinmusic View Post
I'm sure it wasn't necessary, but my reasoning is on a flat top the recomended exhaust is 8- 1/2 in holes. A single daisy wheel is 4-3/4 in holes, so I added a second wheel with 4 more holes just to make sure I wouldn't have any smoke buildup issues. And like I said, I leave all 8 holes open during a smoke and it's been working great! If it wasn't working all I have to do adjust the wheels.

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker