MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-03-2006, 09:48 AM   #1
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Total Disappointment

Competed yesterday in a sauce competition held by a local winery. The main stipulation was that you had to use at least one of the winery's products in your sauce. I chose their apricot vinegar and their apricot demi sec white wine. I also puree'd some peaches and sautee'd a lot of chopped vidalia onions. This was all added to my regular bbq sauce and it turned out quite delicious. For the two hours in which the public was allowed to sample the sauce so they could vote, I received very positive feedback. Many wanted to buy bottles of my sauce while others commented that if I don't win, something is wrong. Needless to say I was feelilng quite confident when they gathered the contestants to announce the winners. The judging was based on 25% by the public who only got taste the sauce, and 25% ea. from three main judges who got to try the sauce on your ribs. I smoked three racks of baby backs and three racks of St. Louis spares. My wife and friends that were there all said these were the best ribs I ever made. 3rd place and $150 went to three guys from Chicago cooking on a gas grill. 2nd place and $500 went to three local guys cooking on Chargriller and 1st place and KitchenAid stainless steel gasser went to some lady cooking on a gas grill!
The guys who won the $500 took one bite of my ribs and couldn't believe that I didn't win. Oh well, like my MIL always said, "some people have chit for taste and others eat it!"

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2006, 09:55 AM   #2
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Sorry to hear that. Wonder what the winners garnished around thier sauce foam containers with.... some of that Franklin lettuce?

Maybe the flavor in your ribs threw them off on the sauce? They were looking for tasteless pork? You never know. It's sounds perty darn good from your discription!

Old 07-03-2006, 10:21 AM   #3
bbqjoe
Banned

It's chit like that makes me glad I'm not a competitive person.
Probably was fixed too.
bbqjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2006, 10:25 AM   #4
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

Problem I see there is the potential for the judges to have no idea what a frarking rib is supposed to taste like. They want applebee ribs or mcRibs. Lot's of ketchup and sugar. Take heart in the compliments you got and keep going foreward
1 Weber performer, 1 Smokey Joe Platinum
1 XL Big Green Egg
1 FEC 100
Team BBQ-Brethren.com
KCBS Certified Judge #9079
Yakfishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2006, 11:59 AM   #5
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

That sucks, Neil! Sounds like you put a lot of effort into it just to get hosed! I agree with Andy... maybe the ribs were so good, the sauce paled in comparison and they didn't "notice it" like the might have with a lesser rib (one shot to make an impression mod).
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2006, 12:18 PM   #6
Solidkick
somebody shut me the fark up.

I think we all just declared you the winner.......screw the rest of the public.....

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2006, 12:44 PM   #7
queball
On the road to being a farker

Thats why I stick to my favorite competition; the old competition for space around the picnic table. As for the sauce. Sounds fantastic. Gotta be good on pork.

"If God did'nt want us to eat cows, he would'nt have made them out of meat."
queball is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2006, 12:51 PM   #8
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Neil, sounds like ya done good, exceptin the judges. I like queball's theory. Competition for space around the picnic table is the real judge.

Old 07-03-2006, 01:34 PM   #9
VitaminQ
is One Chatty Farker

That bites, dude. It seems there's no accounting for taste . . . or lack thereof. Sounds like you came up with a nifty new sauce recipe, though, and that's likely to bring you more pleasure down the road than having won the contest.

ECB w/mods
Weber Smokey Joe
18" Weber Kettle
22" Weber clone kettle
Curb-foundling char-broil gasser
WSM: Assembled! First cook: 8/25/06
Fanatical devotion to the Q
VitaminQ is offline   Reply With Quote