DerHusker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score

In my other post, someone asked if I would post the recipe for this. It is not mine but is based on Rick Bayless's recipe. I tweaked the cooking method and adjusted for 8.5 lbs. of pork. The pictures below the recipe were from last years cook and are there to give you a better idea of how I cooked it. (I apologize in advance for the length of this post)

Here are the ingredients for the marinade and the pickled onion:

Marinate:
4 tbsp. (about 2 ounces) achiote seeds / powder
1 tbsp. dried oregano, preferably Mexican
1 tbsp. black pepper (preferably fresh ground)
1 tsp. cumin (preferably fresh ground)
½ tsp. cloves (preferably fresh ground)
1 tbsp. cinnamon (preferably Mexican canela and fresh ground)
10 garlic cloves
¾ tbsp. Salt
1-1/4 cups fresh sour orange juice OR 1 cups fresh lime juice plus 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
1 large (8.5 lb.) pork shoulder
1 lb. package of banana leaves

(Note: Some add some peppers to the marinate but I don't as my wife and MIL don't like the heat. It tastes great without it and you can always add any kind of heat / salsa to it later as Rick mentions)

Directions: Measure the achiote seeds or powder and oregano into a spice grinder, adding the black pepper, cumin, cloves and cinnamon, and run the grinder until everything’s as powdery as you can get it (you may need to work in batches). In a blender, combine the ground mixture with the salt, the garlic and sour orange juice (or lime juice plus orange juice). Blend until smooth—there should be very little grittiness when a little is rubbed between your fingers. If you’re working ahead, pour the mixture into a non-aluminum container, cover, refrigerate 6 hours or longer. Before using, blend the mixture again to give it an even smoother texture. (The long steeping and second blending isn’t absolutely essential, though without it the marinade may be a little gritty.)

Here's a link to Rick Bayless's recipe: http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/cochinita-pibil/

Pickled Red Onion: (From Rick Bayless’s recipe but I tweaked it and adjusted it for 2 onions)
2 large red onions, sliced 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick
1 ½ cups fresh sour orange juice OR 1 cup fresh lime juice plus ½ cup fresh orange juice
2 tbsp. white vinegar
1 tsp. salt
1 habanero cut in half (If desired)

Directions: While the meat is cooking, prepare the onions. Scoop the onions into a non-aluminum bowl. Pour boiling water over them, wait 30 to 45 seconds, then pour the onions into a strainer. Return the drained onions to the bowl, pour on the sour orange juice (or the lime-orange combo) and stir in 1 teaspoons salt. Add 1 habanero cut in half if you want a little heat. (Hint: it doesn't add that much) Cover and set aside until serving time.

Here is an 8.5 lb. pork shoulder

I trimmed most of the fat cap off and then scored it.

I mixed up the ingredients for the marinate and poured it over the pork on one side and then the other.

I covered it with foil and let it rest in the fridge overnight. In the morning I started prepping the banana leaves to get them more pliable by heating them up in the oven.

I place 2 sheets of wide aluminum foil in opposite directions.

On top of this I place 2 sheets of parchment paper in the opposite directions of the foil.

And now I place on some banana leaves. I overlap all the joints by a good 3 to 4 inches and alternate the direction of the leaves to try and minimize leakage.

Now I can wrap up the pork shoulder in the banana leaves and try with butcher’s twine. (Note: This is much harder than you’d think. Try to have someone there to help try the knots in the twine.)

Then parchment paper and finally the aluminum foil. (Wow! I could work in the shipping department. :lol:)

OK I now light start up the kamado with a full load of lump and set it up for indirect cooking.

Once it gets up to 325 I put on the Cochinita Pibil package. Let it get up to 350.

I going to check it in 4 1/2 hours to see how things are going.
While I’m waiting I made up some Pickled Red Onion and some fresh tortillas.

Was able to relax a little and then checked the I.T. of the meat.

Yes! Now I carefully unwrap my package.

And transfer it to an aluminum pan.

And continue unwrapping. OH IT’S JUST LIKE CHRISTMAS!

Fish out all the banana leaves

And the bone

And pull the meat. It was literally so tender that I could’ve just stirred it with a spoon and it would’ve fallen apart.

And now for the moment of truth! Here it is plated in some tacos with some Tostones appetizers, radishes and guacamole and chips.

Off the charts goodness!

never had this but definitely going to but do i really need to use parchment paper and twine. dont have those not sure i want to buy just for this recipe. double foiled wont that work.

never had this but definitely going to but do i really need to use parchment paper and twine. dont have those not sure i want to buy just for this recipe. double foiled wont that work.
Thanks and yes double foil would work.

You got skills to pay the bills that's for sure. Great looking food and another addition to my "things to try" spreadsheet. Thanks for posting!

Thank you Dan. I buy them from a local Mexican market. Try a store like that or if there aren't any near you try a Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, etc. If you can't find them in a store them you can always buy the frozen ones on the internet

Cooking one for my daughters B-Day party the Saturday. Made one a number of years ago, but it was only so-so. I didn't score the meat that time. Looks like you scored the butt about 1 inch deep on both sides? Is that correct. Hoping that will give me some better flavor this time.

Thanks.

Cooking one for my daughters B-Day party the Saturday. Made one a number of years ago, but it was only so-so. I didn't score the meat that time. Looks like you scored the butt about 1 inch deep on both sides? Is that correct. Hoping that will give me some better flavor this time.

Thanks.
Yes that is correct. In fact Rick Bayless just cuts it up into 3" chunks and lines a roasting pan (I used an aluminum chaffing pan) with the banana leaves. I've done that as well but it was only because I couldn't buy the fresh banana leaves that day and had to go with the frozen ones that are much more brittle.

I like the presentation of the method above better. Here's a link to how I did aluminum chaffing pan method if you'd rather try it instead. (The taste it basically the same)

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228349

Last edited:
Back