NYC BBQ Class by Johnny Trigg & Rod Gray 8/2/08

Sledneck

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
This copied and pasted from pigtrip.net

New York City BBQ: Johnny Trigg and Rod Gray To Bring Barbecue Master's Class To New York City, August 2

Champion pitmasters Johnny Trigg and Rod Gray have agreed to share their most fiercely guarded secrets and methods with a barbecue workshop limited to 50 students at New York City's Pier 40 on Saturday, August 2.​
Texan Johnny Trigg is the only competitor in the history of the prestigious Jack Daniels World Barbecue to win an unprecedented two Grand Championships, and he's been named Cook of the Year by the KCBS in chicken, ribs, and brisket. Kansas City's Rod Gray helms Pellet Envy, one of the top nationally ranked barbecue teams six straight years. Last year they had two perfect scores for ribs and were named Rib Cooks of the Year by KCBS.​
During the event, these barbecue masters will prepare chicken, pork tenderloins and Boston Butt for pulled pork, steaks and briskets and much more, using both hot direct grilling and indirect Southern-style smoking. Each will reveal every ingredient and method of marinating, injecting, and rubbing meats with spices to achieve maximum flavor and tenderness. Instruction will employ equipment ranging from traditional barrel-style wood-fired barbecue pits, to high-tech automated pellet cookers. With the class held to only 50, everyone is guaranteed close-up, hands-on instruction.​
Lunch will be catered by Chef Adam Perry Lang of Daisy May's BBQ.​
This event runs from 8:00AM to 8:00PM and will be held rain or shine. The price is $1150. For more information, contact Penina Bareket at penina@dandrevents.com or (212) 331-8805.​

Wow is right. I took their class in April for $500 in Shannon, IL! I guess the extra $650 is for the Adam Perry Lang Lunch! One of the best classes I ever took and I got $300 back in my first competition after taking the class.

$1150 ??? :shock:

Adam makes some of the best beef ribs and whole hog I've eaten but that's not worth $650 difference from their usual class fee.

Aside from some KCBS cooks willing to pay double their past fees, I wonder if this class is being catered more toward all of the NYC foodies, chefs and maybe some yuppies from the Upper East Side who've never seen a smoker in action before. Looks like there is an event management company as the organizer.

Still, Rod and Johnny deserve all the cash if there are willing people to pay. Hopefully the weather is nice.

Last edited:
At our class breakfast was provided and our lunch consisted of the 4 meat turn-in categories from Rod & Johnny. That was some good eats too and included in the $500 tuition. I'm sure some of the price differential is due to the cost of doing business in Manhattan, but I'd never thought it would be that high. Still the people that sign up for that class are in for a fine lunch indeed. If you compete in more than a few contests in a year and apply and practice what you learn you should recoup the tuititon cost the first year.

$1150 is still too cheap. I would have paid that. What a lot of people do not understand about cooking classes, is that it really helps you open your mind to new ideas, and to bust out of your own paradigms. No body can duplicate 100% what any one does, nor should they, but the knowledge that you can gain from this class and others helps you take what you have and improve. And some may also worry, that these classes are producing an insane number of great BBQ competitors. That too is a false. You have to go into these classes and get the most out of them to improve what you have. If you are a bad BBQ cook, a class won't help you get a G.C. your next contest, but it will help you progress forward and eventually start getting some decent calls. Nothing helps more than practice, and learning. Listen to others too, if they give you free tips. Even if you think you're a better cooker than the person you're talking to, you'll be suprised what you can learn if you just ask a couple of questions and listen.

Even though I've had some sucess after the classes I've taken, if another great team (or teams) came into my area with a class, you bet I'm going to it ! If you want to do well in BBQ competitions, you've got to do whatever it takes to learn and to practice, practice, practice. If you want to go to contests to be with your buds and have a good time, that's fine too. I'm there to do the best that I can to place as high as I can.

damn, i reckon i got on the soap box for a minute.. i'll shut up now :icon_smil

Well I took the class and it helped a lot. More for meat selection than anything else.

Our first two comps after the class we took the GC back to back. (plus we took a 1st in ribs, chicken, brisket as well)

It is worth the money.

I took it

My wife and I did the class a few weeks ago in DeSoto, KS and the first contest after it we got 1st in ribs, 1st in Pork and 3rd in brisket (first brisket call of the year) and got our first GC. I can't say this will happen to you, but we picked up several tips that we used that helped us alot. This class WILL improve your scores.

Chris

I also took Rod's class before he teamed up with Jonny. I think it was a very good class also.

I'd also like to point out to folks that Rod is coming from Kansas City, and Johnny Trigg lives south of Dallas/Ft. Worth. Take a look at a map, and figure in the price of gas/diesel for the drive there and back...pulling equipment. They probably aren't making the killing that it appears at first glance.

Boondoggle took the class in April also. Placed RGC at our first contest after that 1st in ribs and pork, 6th in brisket. Second contest is this weekend. Glad to see Double Ds and Diva have success also. We haven't tried to duplicate either Johnny's or Rod's product step by step, but have intergrated some of their methods into what we do. The little things make a big difference.

Boondoggle took the class in April also. Placed RGC at our first contest after that 1st in ribs and pork, 6th in brisket. Second contest is this weekend. Glad to see Double Ds and Diva have success also. We haven't tried to duplicate either Johnny's or Rod's product step by step, but have intergrated some of their methods into what we do. The little things make a big difference.

I think thats the biggest part. We are not duplicating their comp stuff (would not work up here anyways) but rather we are gleaning whatever information you think is useful from the class. Same with the Dr. BBQ class I took. Both very helpful. But Triggs and Gray are are 2- for 1 price deal that makes it very good value for the money in my opinion.

Is it worth over $1000 a person?
Rod's ribs were the best ribs I have ever had in my life. I cannot say enough good things about how much I learned in his class. Now you get info from Johnny also. If they come back around KC again I think I would take it again just to see how Johnny does chicken. Not sure about the price increase but as was pointed out it does cost alot to haul everything to NY.

Guys, guys, guys . . .this is NOT an Old School versus High Tech class. This is something unique. Adam & John are in charge of this special event. Our basic class price has not changed, although the spouse fee is going to go up. This is a one of a kind, special presentation. And yes, there are a ton of additional expenses involved here due to the geography. Additionally, we are looking to book a couple dates for late summer and fall. We're thinking back east in September and the southeast in November. Nothing firm yet and the clock is ticking.

Rod
www.pelletenvy.com

P.S. - I've only read the first page of these responses. I don't know if that factors into my post yet or not.

Back