ribs

smokedawg

Reaction score
Im about to enter my first comp next weekend and was wondering; when you guys go to pick out your meat is it best to go to a butcher for ribs or am I gonna find the same that I am finding in local grocery stores? :confused:

That's a tough one. Look for straight bones and well marbled meat. We get them from a grocery store up here.

That's a tough one. Look for straight bones and well marbled meat. We get them from a grocery store up here.

What is the best grocery store for getting ribs in the York area. So far I've been getting them at Sam's club but not having much luck on the straight bones. I haven't had much luck at Giant or Wies either.

yea no straight bones at goc stores in Bama, or at least where i been shopping at. Guess im gonna go talk to a butcher this afternoon, thanks guys for the insight always alot of help!!!!!:biggrin1:

I'd ask the butcher if they get them from a farm or general supplier.
They may be no different than the ones in the store if they're from a general supplier

i've spent plenty of time in butcher shops, and unless you're dealing with one that gets in whole pigs and butchers them, they're all coming in frozen in cryo packs

i've spent plenty of time in butcher shops, and unless you're dealing with one that gets in whole pigs and butchers them, they're all coming in frozen in cryo packs

Yep... The only advantage might be that you can pick through what the butcher has taken out of the cryo for the display case so you're not stuck with the mystery rack in the middle of the three pack :-D

If'n your fix'in to enter your first contest and are not sure about where to purchase ribs....I personaly think you are already a half step behind the curve.
Best of luck anyway, go get 'em.
Ed

I've been buying Swift StL trimmed single packs at BiLo and Piggly Wiggly with good success.

I go with RD, Sam's Club, BJ's, or my butcher....all depends on how they look...like what Chipper said.

I've done two amateur comps, and both times purchased my spares at Meijer. I spend a LOT of time looking at all of the available racks there looking for racks with consistent thickness, straight bones, etc. But, what do I know... 2nd place out of 25 and 3rd place out of 62. Don't listen to the discouragers... get some good looking ribs from wherever you can, trim them nice, do what you did when you practiced and have FUN at your first competition! You'll be hooked as long as you have fun and you'll probably make a couple of new friends along the way!

Yep... The only advantage might be that you can pick through what the butcher has taken out of the cryo for the display case so you're not stuck with the mystery rack in the middle of the three pack :-D

Wife doesnt like me "looking elsewhere", so that mystery rack in the middle is about all the excitement of the unknown that I get very often!

Thanks again guys, I checked out the butcher and like yall said pretty much the same. I mean what Im getting isnt terrible just trying to find better. Yall been alot of help and I will post some pics of the comp, Smoke On the Water Guntersville AL

Back