MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-21-2020, 04:59 AM   #1
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

Default KCBS and Garnish

I’m hearing some rumors that garnish is going to be eliminated. Anyone else heard anything?
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2020, 07:20 AM   #2
ModelMaker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Don't see it happening, KCBS is pretty set on garnish separating itself from all the other BBQ organizations.
Anyway, as long as the garnish is legal it plays no part in the appearance score.
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2020, 07:35 AM   #3
Smokin D@wg@77
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

id be really surprised if they changed that .....
Smokin D@wg@77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2020, 08:12 AM   #4
DUBBAGA
is Blowin Smoke!

Haven't heard anything, but maybe it's a consideration for the single meat rib pilot program? If so, there just happens to be a special Board meeting coming up shortly ...

Humphrey's Long Weekender, UDS, Red Box Smoker, SJS/Tamale Pot Smoker, Weber Performer, Weber 18.5 OTS, Alton Brown Flower Pot Smoker (died), Blue Ember Gasser (died}

Member of the Hall of Zero's (Noobians v. Veterans Throwdown)
DUBBAGA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2020, 08:22 AM   #5
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelMaker View Post
Don't see it happening, KCBS is pretty set on garnish separating itself from all the other BBQ organizations.
Anyway, as long as the garnish is legal it plays no part in the appearance score.
Ed
It's not supposed to play a role in the appearance score, but I think it does depending on the judge.

Quick story: I took Tuffy Stone's competition class a few years ago, and one of the other students was a KCBS Master Judge. So when discussing some of the things Tuffy would ask this gentlemen how the judges perceived it, and how they would score, and things of that nature. When talking about garnish the guy went into a long rant about "wanting to see that the pitmasters put some time into it." He said that if the garnish wasn't aligned properly or if it was sticking up in one place that would usually end up with a small deduction. He also said that if cooks did something like putting a flat piece of lettuce on the bottom that would also receive a deduction.

Mind you this guy was a Master Judge and this is what he's saying about his judging process...even though it clearly goes against the KCBS guidelines. Again, this is a single case and it's all hearsay as I'm just repeating what someone else said, but I figured it's worthy of discussion.

Personally I'd love to get rid of garnish as I hate paying the extra $10-15 just so I can stuff greens in a box. I know people are used to it and make use of it for keeping the meat in place in the box, but all the other organizations don't require it and people have figured out how to make it work without garnish. For me it just seems like an extra step that isn't necessary...and with the possibility of it actually being judged (at least in some capacity) it kind of really deals a blow to the newer teams who are trying to figure this stuff out.

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-21-2020, 09:05 AM   #6
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

they should put a small square of astro turf in the box. cheaper easier better

Old 02-21-2020, 09:11 AM   #7
Smokin D@wg@77
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothBoarBBQ View Post
It's not supposed to play a role in the appearance score, but I think it does depending on the judge.

Quick story: I took Tuffy Stone's competition class a few years ago, and one of the other students was a KCBS Master Judge. So when discussing some of the things Tuffy would ask this gentlemen how the judges perceived it, and how they would score, and things of that nature. When talking about garnish the guy went into a long rant about "wanting to see that the pitmasters put some time into it." He said that if the garnish wasn't aligned properly or if it was sticking up in one place that would usually end up with a small deduction. He also said that if cooks did something like putting a flat piece of lettuce on the bottom that would also receive a deduction.

Mind you this guy was a Master Judge and this is what he's saying about his judging process...even though it clearly goes against the KCBS guidelines. Again, this is a single case and it's all hearsay as I'm just repeating what someone else said, but I figured it's worthy of discussion.

Personally I'd love to get rid of garnish as I hate paying the extra $10-15 just so I can stuff greens in a box. I know people are used to it and make use of it for keeping the meat in place in the box, but all the other organizations don't require it and people have figured out how to make it work without garnish. For me it just seems like an extra step that isn't necessary...and with the possibility of it actually being judged (at least in some capacity) it kind of really deals a blow to the newer teams who are trying to figure this stuff out.
great points !
Smokin D@wg@77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2020, 09:58 AM   #8
Kimo1
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Kimo1

Wish they would get rid of it
Kimo1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2020, 10:30 AM   #9
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
they should put a small square of astro turf in the box. cheaper easier better
... and it could be recycled.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2020, 10:32 AM   #10
ewatts2003
Full Fledged Farker

The only thing I like about the garnish is that it seems to present the meat better, in my opinion. The green just provides more of a contrast and provides a base that lets the meat "stand out" more than just putting it in the bottom of the clam shell.

Old 02-21-2020, 11:32 AM   #11
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

Of course it effects scoring. Anyone who says that it doesn't is lying to you and themselves. If it didn't matter, no one would do it.

If the garnish makes the meat look better, then the garnish matters. Period. I hate that it's optional, because it's really not. Either say it's mandatory or get rid of it, imo.

Old 02-21-2020, 01:46 PM   #12
masque13
is one Smokin' Farker

I would be happy camper to see it go away.
Gateway 55G Drum
masque13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-21-2020, 05:05 PM   #13
djqualls
Full Fledged Farker

News to me!
djqualls is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2020, 05:33 PM   #14
Bob in Corona
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bob

As a judge, do I judge garnish... ? I sure do !!!

If used and if there is something wrong with it, I will score you down, way down !!!

And it takes a Rep's approval / direction ;)

Last edited by Bob in Corona; 02-21-2020 at 09:02 PM..
Bob in Corona is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2020, 07:00 PM   #15
didisea
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothBoarBBQ View Post

The PNWBA is the same as KCBS, and it is not REQURIED by either sanctioning body. By all means, go ahead and just put meat in the box.
didisea is offline   Reply With Quote